TPLink AX73 uses OpenWrt, so can we modify it?

Hello. This is my first post to the forum.
I purchased a TPLink AX73 almost as soon as it was released.
Then I heard a rumor that this router uses Openwrt and I was wondering if it is true and if Openwrt functionality is available.
Then I tried to extract the firmware using binwalk on kali linux, and I was sure that Openwrt was used.
But I also found that the version is very old, 12.09-rc1.
It would be really helpful if you could tell me how to update the Openwrt version of this router and install packages etc. I will provide the information.

openwrt_release file:

DISTRIB_ID="OpenWrt"
DISTRIB_RELEASE="Attitude Adjustment"
DISTRIB_REVISION="unknown"
DISTRIB_CODENAME="attitude_adjustment"
DISTRIB_TARGET="model_brcm_bcm490x/generic"
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="OpenWrt Attitude Adjustment 12.09-rc1"

luci file:
The lucy file is located in rootfs_ubifs/www/cgi-bin/

#!/usr/bin/lua
require "luci.cacheloader"
require "luci.sgi.cgi"
luci.dispatcher.indexcache = "/tmp/luci-indexcache"
luci.sgi.cgi.run()

root directory:

Thank you.

1 Like

But I can't access luci...

That's just a typical OEM firmware, built upon a heavily butchered up vendor SDK, which in turn 'borrowed' parts of an ancient OpenWrt code base in order to butcher that up with their proprietary kernel(-drivers), it won't get you one step closer to running vanilla OpenWrt on that …$THING.

And Broadcom is effectively a death penalty for that idea to begin with, as there are no wireless drivers for their …$TECHNOLOGY.

4 Likes

It's like saying it runs on electricity, since pretty much all of them do.

There's also Support for TP-Link AX5400 Wi-Fi 6?, too bad you didn't use the search, would have saved you some time.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.
One question, is it not possible to do this using SSH?
I can SSH to AX73.

It's not a matter of access, but hw support in open source, BCM never release their drivers.

The unit runs a 10+ years old kernel for a reason.

2 Likes

I think Broadcom support is the worst. I am curious why manufacturers use Broadcom.
Thank you for the discussion.

Because they do offer bang for buck, and manufacturers mostly do not care (nor advertise) open source support.

looks like v2 is Qualcomm IPQ5018 so mabie in future

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.