Netgear GS308T - Help with changing default IP

My goal is to use the GS308T as a managed switch for setting up simple VLANs (for segmenting my PC, wireless mobile devices, wireless guests, etc). So far I have installed OpenWrt on a GS308T managed switch (version: 22.03.0 (r19685-512e76967f)). In my linux PC, I created a VLAN device on VID 100 and added IP 192.168.1.3. With an ethernet cable connecting my PC to port 1 on the GS308T, I am able to connect via SSH as well as access the LUCI web interface.

I am trying to change the IP address on GS308T from the default 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.2 because my router is using 192.168.1.1. However, whenever I try to change the IP address to .2, I am unable to reconnect to the switch via SSH or LUCI. I have tried resetting my PC's network device and unplugging/replugging in the ethernet cable, but am still not able to connect on 192.168.1.2. I have had to reset to factory defaults a couple of times after trying to change the IP, and I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

I am still very new to OpenWrt, and I apologize if this is a simple issue. Hopefully someone can point in me in the right direction :slight_smile:.

uci set network.lan.ipaddr='192.168.1.2'
uci commit network
/etc/init.d/network restart

Thanks for the suggestion, frollic. I tried those commands earlier, but just to be extra sure I tried them again right now. After executing the commands and waiting a few minutes, I am not able to ping, ssh, or access LUCI at 192.168.1.2 (no route to host). I am guessing at this point I will need to factory reset unless you have further advice.

Earlier, I also tried changing the LAN IP address in LUCI (network > interfaces). This produced the same result which led to factory resetting. I will be offline in a few minutes but I will be able to do more troubleshooting tomorrow.

Try with a static IP on your client. Frollic's instructions should just work. Also, as of 22.03 VLAN 100 is not needed anymore? Did you sysupgrade from an older 21.02 or master build? Or flash 22.03 from the OEM firmware directly?

I think you have the same issue as me with a similar managed switch, you have to change the switch config to DHCP (or your .2 address): Managed switch doesn’t show up in the network - #2 by bill888

Try with a static IP on your client.

I did use a static IP in my client "192.168.1.3".

Also, as of 22.03 VLAN 100 is not needed anymore? Did you sysupgrade from an older 21.02 or master build? Or flash 22.03 from the OEM firmware directly?

Unfortunately I could only ssh on VLAN 100.
I flashed 22.03.0 from OEM firmware using the initramfs-kernel.bin and then ssh'd afterwards to do the sysupgrade. I grabbed both files from here.

Should I try factory resetting and sysupgrade using the file from here? Those files appear to be more recent. I am still not able to access my switch after changing the IP to 192.168.1.2 (whether using VLAN 100 or not).

I think you have the same issue as me with a similar managed switch,

Unfortunately that is a different issue. My switch has been flashed with OpenWrt and is no longer using the Netgear web interface.

That's weird... Both should be okay. The one you tried is from September 3rd, won't be much of a difference between both. You can try the official images from the second link though. Who knows...

Good news everyone. I did a sysupgrade using the snapshot from this link. I no longer need to use VLAN 100 to ssh to the switch, and I'm able to ssh after changing the IP to 192.168.1.2! After setting the gateway to my router's IP and setting the DNS IP I was able to opkg update and install LUCI. Hoping that this snapshot is stable enough to use for a while. I will need to do more testing.

I'm guessing that the image I downloaded from the firmware-selector site is buggy. I even double checked the sha256sum of kernel.bin and sysupgrade.bin after transferring the file to /tmp. I'll report this in the firmware-selector thread.

1 Like

I've tested the 22.03 release image and could not find any issue in regards to the ip change. I assume the vlan 100 caused the confusion.

Well I'm puzzled, since this commit removed the management VLAN and it's part of 22.03 as well:

I've tested the 22.03 release image and could not find any issue in regards to the ip change. I assume the vlan 100 caused the confusion.

Your assumption is understandable, but I was unable to ssh in without VLAN 100 on the 22.03.0 image that I acquired from the firmware-selector. I tried ssh/luci on untagged VLAN 1 and was not able to connect.

I have no motivation to make any of this stuff up, but you're welcome to believe that I'm confused.
img

I was unable to ssh in without VLAN 100 on the 22.03.0 image that I acquired from the firmware-selector

BTW this occurred on the default config with no tweaking both after freshly flashing and after doing a factory reset.

On Port1 vlan100 is/was needed otherwise excessive packetloss in my experience with a Zyxel GS1900 24HPv1 during release candidate testing haven't tested final 22.03.

Did you try the other Ports 2-8 for managment access without vlan100 normal vlan1 since this worked fine for me?

This was during the late release candidate testing of 22.03, strange thing was that there was no mention in the openwrt network config of the device about this vlan100 for port 1 but it was really needed!

Its maybe something hardcoded by firmware/bootloader @Borromini since the commit you revered to that supposed to fix it was already part of the RC4 june release?

1 Like

Did you try the other Ports 2-8 for managment access without vlan100 normal vlan1 since this worked fine for me?

Sorry I only tried ssh on port 1 prior to flashing the latest snapshot. I am able to ssh on any port with vlan 1 on the latest snapshot.

Just tried the 22.03.0 release (GS1900-hp24v1) and I can confirm that there is no default vlan100 required for me anymore on port1 for management interface nor packet loss. However the topic starter needed to flash to snapshot?

Strange thing is that @Borromini his revered commit was done at the end of 2021, while I have tested 22.03rc1-5 in summer 2022 which showed this strange vlan100/packetloss issue on port1 and not the other ports without vlan...

However the topic starter needed to flash to snapshot?

Yes, the snapshot enabled me to use vlan1 on port 1 of GS308T.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.