OpenWrt for Linksys EA9500 v1.0/v1.1
First time Installation
Linksys secure-signs the firmware for this router, hence it is not possible to install using Factory UI.
So, this router requires a serial cable connected to the router. On boot, interrupt the boot by Ctrl+C and enter CFE prompt. Make sure tftp server is running. Download tftpd sever from here. Detailed instructions here. Disassembly instructions here
From CFE prompt execute following. Where 192.168.1.10 is where your tftp server is running.
flash -noheader 192.168.1.10:/openwrt.trx nflash0.trx
Also you may want to reset partial boots and boot partition using
nvram set bootpartition=0 && nvram set partialboots=0 && nvram commit
NOTE: This router has two copies of firmware. The router switches between one or the other after three consecutive partial boots. You can force a partial boot by turning off router 10 seconds after booting.
Once you have installed Lede on one partition, leave the second partition on Factory firmware. this way you can dual boot into Lede or Factory.
Non-US EA9500 Model
- 2020-01-02 To be flashed from Linksys UI. After this, flash latest firmware from below list.
After the first installation, all further OpenWrt firmware updates can be done from UI.
You may also want to flash to both partitions. Instructions here.
Bleeding Edge Build
- 2020-08-14 New bleeding edge build
- 2020-01-02 Supersedes Dec 31st build. Kernel v 4.19.91, Read wifi instructions below
- 2019-06-19 Kernel v4.19.52
- 2019-03-15 Kernel v4.19.25, hardware tagging, Congestion Control
Revert to Factory EA9500_Factory.trx
- Flash from CFE:
flash -noheader 192.168.1.10:/EA9500_Factory.trx nflash0.trx flash -noheader 192.168.1.10:/EA9500_Factory.trx nflash0.trx2
- Flash factory from ssh
mtd write /tmp/EA9500_Factory.trx firmware mtd write /tmp/EA9500_Factory.trx failsafe
- Make sure to set country code: United States: US, World: EU
- 5Ghz Radios:
- radio0 and radio2 - stick to 40Mhz bandwidth
- radio0 stick to lower bands (36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64)
- radio2 stick to higher bands (136,140,144,153,157,161,165)
Package list based on