What's your favourite cheap LEDE/OpenWrt device?

Single-Board Computer

That certainly makes sense, though I would suspect that the Raspberry Pis have it slightly better, due to them using Broadcom SoCs, so no horrid Realtek WiFi (though it may require using closed-source firmware binaries for better performance).

My Raspberry Pi 3B is still waiting for me to have a working HDMI-equipped monitor (which would also be the first such monitor in the house, everything is either VGA-only, or VGA+DVI-D).

Interesting. Based on what ?
As I have lot of hotspots (2.4GHz only), running on MT7620A-based openwrt routers. Doing very well.

Save yourself some money and get an HDMI to VGA adapter. You can also try the composite video output through the 3.5mm jack, and there's also VNC. you can find lots of articles online, search the web.

Driver quality.
After a long time, almost 100% due to the community, Realtek WiFi will be stable on Linux (I was a tester for the RTL8211AE, and I saw the results for both that chip, and others, during that time), but performance is degraded in comparison to other manufacturers, partially due to it having a larger CPU overhead.

Thanks, but I already have the monitor, I just need to buy a new mainboard for it (already have an external PSU, as this is a Samsung monitor which makes use of one), which I already have a reliable source (I had already bought a few monitor mainboards from them) for on AliExpress.

Plus, my monitor does not have integrated speakers (it does have a 3.5mm jack for external ones).

Since this has digressed from opinions on "favorite cheap LEDE/OpenWrt device", perhaps a separate thread would be more appropriate for continued discussions of this situation related to, as I understand it, a specific user and their use of a specific Raspberry Pi.

1 Like

Correction: It is stable on MT7620A. Was different in past, though. And regarding CPU-overhead: You should take the price of the SoC into account, and CPU-speed, when comparing to other manufacturers.
Sharing some real world experience from hundreds of devices in production. Mostly ZBTs, but also from other manufacturers.

I was talking about the state of Realtek WiFi in general.
It is also stable on the RTL8821AE right now.
By the way, the MT7620A does not utilize Realtek WiFi, it utilizes Mediatek/Ralink WiFi, which while not on par with Intel or Qualcomm (or Broadcom), is way better than Realtek, and I would certainly recommend it at these prices (most of the Xiaomi routers utilize as well).

I dumped my orange pi R1, after it kept dropping the LAN port after a few hours of operation. The opz made it through the winter without heat issues, but not as a router. Armbian mentions heat issues too.

1 Like

i love the " Xiaomi WiFi Router 3G" hardware. MT7621A processor, dual core arm (4 threads)128MB Flash ROM, 256MB DDR3. 3x Gigabit ethernet, usb 3.0. very good dual band wifi. for 39$. not super "cheap" but best bang for the buck. and looks nice!

flash can be done by ssh, but the first flash is shitty due to xiaomis spy software. if you are through that its aweseome.

i would say this is "the" device for the next years.

The MT7621A processor is dual core MIPS (4 threads) not arm.

1 Like

5 posts were split to a new topic: Devices with 4.19 support

Archer C60 has been a bummer.
WiFi is not stable. I am using 18.06.0.

Get the Netgear R6220 for INR 1999/-.

I hope its a small "upgrade" from Asus RT-AC51U to NETGEAR R6220
i decided to buy NETGEAR R6220 for 25 EUR

good?

1 Like

R6220 has poor wireless coverage.
And there are three different models under the same name. Make sure you get the correct firmware for your device.

Have bought a asus rt-ac68u yesterday too. used for a price of 50 EUR.
maybe this one is better^^

1 Like

50 € isn't really "cheap" by most people's standards. That mid-price range is addressed nicely in

and following. If you have specific questions about the RT-AC68U or alternatives (which has the "limited support for Broadcom wireless" warning on its wiki page), starting a new thread would help those looking for information specific to that model. You should be aware that

"limited" in this case means (using b43, as there are no alternatives for the BCM4360 chipset):

• limited to 54 MBit/s
    • no HT rates supported
    • no 802.11n (aka greenfield mode)
    • no 802.11ac
  • not very reliable or stable operations

I can't imagine any use case involving wlan operations where the Asus RT-AC68U could be under consideration for running OpenWrt - and no, this situation is extremely unlikely to change in the future.

2 Likes