What's your favourite cheap LEDE/OpenWrt device?

I tried AVM 1220E home plugs now, it works, but they are slower than my old TL-WR1043ND with openwrt, so I am back to my question. Which cheap router as ap for a linux-dvb-box?

I forgot to mention, that I want beamforming, if it is not getting too expensive. A feature which could be interesting later. The AVM 4040 doesn't have it, and the Archer C7 doesn't have it too, but the Archer C9 should have it, also the C9 is too expensive probably. The recommended Zyxel is too expensive here and for another floor I have ordered a Armor Z2 NBG6817 already.

All, this is my first post here. I have just bought a Linksys WRT1900ACS I believe it is v1 because running the OEM 1.x firmware. Have I bought a good router to run OpenWRT?

Thanks for your advices in advance.

Please keep this topic for recommendations of cheap OpenWrt devices.
For questions regarding specific devices, please open a new topic.

2 Likes

I've just finished replacing my TP-Link TL-WR1043ND v1 after 5 years of glorious service (I'm upgrading to a WDR3600 to add 5GHz capability). It's true I did not drive it as hard as other users here (encrypting traffic) and I've even demoted it to a "dumb AP", but for all these years of torrenting, serving DLNA, DHCP server and SSH tunelling, coupled with the ability to turn its WAN port into a LAN port while keeping 1 Gbps throughput is fantastic.
Prior to OpenWRT it's been running for 4 years with the stock firmware, so I could say it was highly reliable, and pretty cheap.

I'll be keeping it around for any side projects or maybe give it to a friend.

Recently picked up the GL.iNet GL-AR750S-Ext Gigabit Travel AC Router (Slate) router and built myself a openwrt fw (nand), fw weighs in at about 25mb... Running all the bells and whistles my WRT1900ACS is... Highly recomend this travel router, it's awesome!! Got if for 79.99 CAD off Amazon

80 CAD in not really cheap...:-1:

It's cheap for what it is and does.

3 Likes

Of course NeWiFi D2. It only costs 100CNY(like 15USD) including freight in China.
The specs: https://openwrt.org/toh/hwdata/d-team/d-team_newifi_d2

Where do you find this to buy, at this price?
MT7621AT, 880 MHz, 2 cores ?
allegedly AES crypto support
want to test drive this baby.

1 Like

the AES crypto in MT7621 is limited to ipsec and not supported in openwrt.
there was an atempt to write some better support for this but didn't notice any progress - you can search it here in the forum (some updates https://github.com/vschagen/mtk-eip93 )
on topic now - where do I buy it at 15$ :slight_smile: ?

1 Like

All the prices I could find for the NeWiFi were on the order of 600 or 1000 CNY -- US$90-150 -- hardly cheap, nor even exciting for a MIPS-based device.

That is the official price. In secondhand market, it has been lower than 100 CNY for several months. This screenshot shows you how cheap it is in China.

so no easy cheap buy for us in the west like on aliexpress. And no AES support. Interest froze, thanks for the info though!

Xiaomi Mi Router 3 is awesome, check these resources:

I think the Mi Router 3G is a better bet, plus it is better supported.

2 Likes

Orange Pi R1 anybody?

link: https://openwrt.org/toh/hwdata/xunlong/xunlong_orange_pi_r1

Goes for 14$ on AliExpress+shipping.

• 2x100M eth ports,
  • 1.2Ghz quad-core Allwinner H2+,
  • 256MB RAM,
  • MicroSD slot,
  • 16MB SPIflash
  • 26GPIO pins(IoT?),
  • 2xUSB2.0.

It seems that 100Mbit isn't for everybody, but for most peoples, a 100Mbit WAN connection would suffice. The LAN port can be used with a Gigabit Managed switch to increase ethernet connectivity, and also increasing support with VLANs and then extending with cheap wireless access points through passive PoE.

No WiFi (rtl8189 not supported). No case for that matter, unless you have a 3d printer handy.

1 Like

wireless is shitty in every SBCs. You can use the acrylic case of Orange Pi Zero for the R1, attach some stand-offs and a 5V fan for active cooling.

what is an SBCs ?