VDSL modem router

I'm new to owrt. I cant find a new modem to buy.
I dont know if its because it takes a while before a device gets supported or because I need a modem for europe, or another reason.
I'd need a modem router, VDSL, profile 35b, 300 mbps and voip. Any tip ?

Here is some modem im interested:
tplink: VR1210v VR2800v
dlink: DVA‑5592 DVA‑5593
zyxel: VMG8825-T50K VMG8623-T50A VMG8823-B
asus: DSL-AC88U

Take a look here https://openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_modem_supported

1 Like

afaik there is no good option to have a voip -> dect/pots/isdn with openwrt.
also devices with vdsl-modem tend to have weak performance w/o the propritary parts of the oem-firmware facilitating hardware-nat, so 300mbps will be borderline.

imo best solution is to have the modem-device run oem-firmware (dumb-modem) and delegate establishement of the pppoe-session and firewalling/routing/sqm/wifi to a second device running openwrt and have client devices establish their own voip-sessions.

4 Likes

There currently is no support for any modem chipset supporting super-vectoring/ profile 35b; the (as of yet unsupported) lantiq grx350/ grx500 SOC would be needed for that. I do not expect that situation to change soon.

1 Like

Thanks Sparks and slh !
So maybe if i buy a modem with lantiq soc, there is some hope for the future ?
@ fuller No because i want owrt for privacy rather than network features.

Generally:
Modemrouter with Broadcom chipsets are not supported because they have proparitäry drivers only.
Devices with Lantiq chipsets will support or it exist a teoretycally possibillity to support them because they have proparytäry Modemfirmware (that can be extract from RouterFW) and Opensource drivers.

Support for VDSL2 Annex Q profile 35b (Aka Supervectoring) Modems does not exist in Openwrt.
One Theoreticly candidate of Suppervectoring support in future are the Fritzbox 7530 with Lantiq VRX518 Modem but:

1. I am not shure but i thing it exist some difficult problems to support the Modem.
  2. I fear there is no manpower to develop VRX518 modem support.
    For this reasons i have no hope.

Support of normal VDSL2 Modems up to profile 30a exist in target=lantiq and subtarget=xrx200 devices.
But only for speed between 50-90Mb/s.

Analoge telefon FXS connectors work with Lantiq SLIC-1xx chipsets.
One VDSL2-modem-telofon-router are the O2-Box 6431.
Another xrx200 router with more resources but not only supported by a fork are the Easybox 904xDSL

1 Like

I would assume that pure lantiq devices (SOC and modem) will be relatively easier to support than hybrid (ipq40xx + lantiq (VRX518/ PSB 80518) solutions as the AVM Fritz!Box 7520/ 7530 (those already exist for VRX2xx, e.g. Netgear D7800 or TP-Link Archer VR2600, neither of which support the VDSL functionality, although that 'should' be possible). But that's obviously guesswork at this point, as neither of these super-vectoring capable SOCs/ modem chipsets are supported yet.

However, given the prices for used VRX2xx devices (e.g. BT Home Hub 5 Type A, some of the supported AVM Fritz!Box variants (3370, 7362sl, …) or the aforementioned O² Box 6431), which are in the sub 10 EUR range plus shipping, I would definitely go for one of those, if you don't need super-vectoring now - and just wait and see for the situation to pan out for super-vectoring.

1 Like

Others already commented on VDSL 35b, so that is thoroughly covered. I wanted to chip in my recommendation not to have VoIP on the router itself. Instead, get a small external VoIP box. They are very reliable, easy to set up, and rather cheap (even cheaper second-hand). For example, search for "Gigaset IP" base stations -- the N510 IP Pro is overkill for a single phone line (it can do 4 simultaneous calls, we use it in our shared office), a S*** or A*** station will do fine (and they can still handle 2 simultaneous calls AFAIR).

4 Likes

Thanks everybody.

blobs are a problem!

as of 4/2020 news?

No, support for modem chipsets (or lack thereof) has not changed since you last asked.

2 Likes

Just to be sure, I guess nothing changed in this regard? Looking at the table I didn’t spot a device.

Are their plain dumb modems you can recommend for 50 Mbit/s DSL in Germany, or do most people just use the provider device?

I had very good experiences with a Zyxel VMG1312-B30A, rock stable and perfectly capable of doing up to 100 MBit/s with simple vectoring (it taps out at *exactly *100 MBit/s, it doesn't have a gigabit ethernet port). They can be had for a very short and dance on the usual second-hand platforms.

That being said, with the vectoring fixes for the Lantiq platform in 22.03 and later, OpenWrt supported modem routers became rock stable, too. For the last two or three years I spent in Germany on a VDSL100 (vectoring) line I used a FritzBox 3370 as a "dumb modem", with nothing to complain about up until I left the continent. So if you have one of those lying around, you might just as well use it.