Support for Archer c50 v4

Yep, it works fine. Thank you for your fast response, especially at this time of the year :tada:
L

It worked like a charm!

I'm new with openwrt and firmware flashing. So i did it in my way.

First step, i used recovery file of Dielee to flash via TFTP (hold reset button). Because I don't have serial cable, i checked the status by led signal. If only power is on, it mean failed. I need to try with other recovery file.

Next, upgrade image. Hold WPS and turn it on. Then access to, http://192.168.0.1 , it show a form to upgrade firmware. So, I used the ...-noboot.bin file of Nithe to upgrade image and it worked.

Thanks everyone for help me fixed this brick.

Hey Guys,
the last days i've been trying stuff and it looks as if I bricked my Archer c50.

Does anyone know if I can apply https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/archer-c50#debricking or do I need to apply any other file (the full tp-link firmware file?) /method?

same happend to me.
only "tftpd64" worked for me with "openwrt-ramips-mt76x8-tplink_c50-v4-squashfs-tftp-recovery.bin" (rename it to tp_recovery.bin)

@cowl0ver could you explain me where you got that file from? Or could you possibly give me some link to download it?
I am currently not sure if my las make process was made correctly and I am afraid of using any file from my last run.

Router looks for an IP address of 192.168.0.66 and a file named tp_recovery.bin

1. Setup your computer to 192.168.0.66 (SubnetMask /24 = 255.255.255.0) and connect it to LAN1.

2. Start TFTP server (with tftpd64) and provide recovery file with it.

3. To activate TFTP Recovery press and hold WPS/Reset Button during powering (8 sec.) on until WPS LED turns on.

I used this one https://www.dropbox.com/s/bt8n8hrpif0b548/TPLink_ArcherC50v4_openwrt_luci_ovpn.rar?dl=0

1 Like

It seems that I got some kind of special aura/luck/"intelligence".
I started the tftp server, put your file to download, started the tftp-recovery.
Now the bright Christmas lightning stopped but only the Power LED is constantly on.
I put my PC interface back to DHCP client, also tried hard IP 192.168.0.3/24, but I am not able to connect to the Archer (should be 192.168.0.1, correct?)

Do you have any kind of idea what I am missing? Or I'm yo "doof" to understand?

Can you still activate TFTP Recovery by holding the reset-button on power-on? The WPS LED goes to solid on while in TFTP mode.

2 Likes

Yes, the Tftp recovery was possible.
At the end, we'll never know why, the only thing that helped was the tftp server for windows from cowl0ver's link above.
I was trying to do tftp recover with an Ubuntu PC but somehow this didn't work correctly.

Thanks a lot for your support and your patience.

@nithe I told u it was the only thing that worked for me too :wink:
Glad to hear that I could help!

1 Like

Hi All,

So I recently purchased a C50 V3 , turns out it's V4, found this thread, all went well, till WebUI installation went out, router went into blinking mode, no worries, tftp will solve it. Put the recovery file into the tftp server, turned on the router, then router leds turned off assuming it's the long awaited reboot... nope.
Router has no leds anymore.. Definitely a good impression to my girlfriend.
Anyways, I'd appreciate any help possible if it's even possible to fix this newly acquired brick :slight_smile:

Regards,
Mark

Hey there,

I've tried your method after successfully messing up the WebUI update ( damn)
but now I have no lights coming on at all :frowning:
Any idea how should I proceed other than buying a new one ? :smiley:

Thanks,
Mark

I guess if u got no lights, u messed it up pretty badly.
No idea what to do in this case...

Can I check with you please..
I just bought the Archer C50 v4 and I want to install "DD_WRT"
It is brand new only a hour old and only thing I did was change the wifi password
I have downloaded the file "openwrt-ramips-mt76x8-tplink_c50-v4-squashfs-factory.bin" above
Now all I have to do is goto firmware upgrade on tp-link interface and upload the single file above.
Then when done I switch off and back on and I am done.
Is that the phole procedure please? The wiki is very confusing but I think that is all it says. However people above are talking about putty and all sorts of different things.
Manythanks newbie!

Do you want to install DD-Wrt or OpenWrt? They are different projects!

Oh sorry i got confused. its worse i just realised this router does not have usb anyway. the whole point is to setup an iphone usb tethering router- i have to return this router and buy another.
Thanks William

1 Like

Hi, this is an absolute minefield for me. I have the same original question as willyhoops (apart from the dd-wrt). Can I simply download the file to a standard factory router and do a UI firmware upgrade or is there a lot more to it.
I really appreciate any help

Hi
I get some problem with this v after i install it its work fine but when i come to install wpad full i get some problem

Did you run opkg update?

Hey, I am having two problems. I have successfully managed to install OpenWRT with Dielee's files (Thank you!).
Unfortunately the wifi is really unstable for me. 5GHz seems to be fine but 2.4GHz looses internet connection quite often and sometimes drops completely (not appearing in available networks anymore at all).

After fiddling around with it a bit with no success I decided to just go back to stock. But with that I am also out of luck for some reason.
I can't get it installed through TFPT, it takes the firmware file but doesn't boot up afterwards. Installing through Luci ended up the same way for me.

Does somebody know what I am doing wrong? (Disclaimer: I am far from knowledgable, so I might be doing things the wrong way to begin with.. :D)