Support for Archer c50 v4

Yes, the Tftp recovery was possible.
At the end, we'll never know why, the only thing that helped was the tftp server for windows from cowl0ver's link above.
I was trying to do tftp recover with an Ubuntu PC but somehow this didn't work correctly.

Thanks a lot for your support and your patience.

@nithe I told u it was the only thing that worked for me too :wink:
Glad to hear that I could help!

1 Like

Hi All,

So I recently purchased a C50 V3 , turns out it's V4, found this thread, all went well, till WebUI installation went out, router went into blinking mode, no worries, tftp will solve it. Put the recovery file into the tftp server, turned on the router, then router leds turned off assuming it's the long awaited reboot... nope.
Router has no leds anymore.. Definitely a good impression to my girlfriend.
Anyways, I'd appreciate any help possible if it's even possible to fix this newly acquired brick :slight_smile:

Regards,
Mark

Hey there,

I've tried your method after successfully messing up the WebUI update ( damn)
but now I have no lights coming on at all :frowning:
Any idea how should I proceed other than buying a new one ? :smiley:

Thanks,
Mark

I guess if u got no lights, u messed it up pretty badly.
No idea what to do in this case...

Can I check with you please..
I just bought the Archer C50 v4 and I want to install "DD_WRT"
It is brand new only a hour old and only thing I did was change the wifi password
I have downloaded the file "openwrt-ramips-mt76x8-tplink_c50-v4-squashfs-factory.bin" above
Now all I have to do is goto firmware upgrade on tp-link interface and upload the single file above.
Then when done I switch off and back on and I am done.
Is that the phole procedure please? The wiki is very confusing but I think that is all it says. However people above are talking about putty and all sorts of different things.
Manythanks newbie!

Do you want to install DD-Wrt or OpenWrt? They are different projects!

Oh sorry i got confused. its worse i just realised this router does not have usb anyway. the whole point is to setup an iphone usb tethering router- i have to return this router and buy another.
Thanks William

1 Like

Hi, this is an absolute minefield for me. I have the same original question as willyhoops (apart from the dd-wrt). Can I simply download the file to a standard factory router and do a UI firmware upgrade or is there a lot more to it.
I really appreciate any help

Hi
I get some problem with this v after i install it its work fine but when i come to install wpad full i get some problem

Did you run opkg update?

Hey, I am having two problems. I have successfully managed to install OpenWRT with Dielee's files (Thank you!).
Unfortunately the wifi is really unstable for me. 5GHz seems to be fine but 2.4GHz looses internet connection quite often and sometimes drops completely (not appearing in available networks anymore at all).

After fiddling around with it a bit with no success I decided to just go back to stock. But with that I am also out of luck for some reason.
I can't get it installed through TFPT, it takes the firmware file but doesn't boot up afterwards. Installing through Luci ended up the same way for me.

Does somebody know what I am doing wrong? (Disclaimer: I am far from knowledgable, so I might be doing things the wrong way to begin with.. :D)

does anyone have a full flash dump of the flash chip? I have a different router (MAC1200R V2) here which has the exact hardware as C50V3/V4 but have got strange flash layout and uboot check etc.

I have a hardware programmer here and I want to do some experiment of programming the 8mb flash chip with a dump from a C50V3/V4.

Any help is appreciated. Many thanks!

Hey,

my wifi is also unstable... Not shure why, but it breaks once a day.
Try to get back to stock via Webinterface.

EDIT: Saw that you tried already to bring it up via luci... I will give it a try later.

I googled around and build an image to revert back to stock.
Flash this file via luci. https://www.dropbox.com/s/dhwf5mcrmsnsykp/tplink_stripped_C50v4.bin?dl=0

EDIT: If this wont work try to copy the .bin file to /tmp on the archer.
If it's copied login with ssh and run sysupgrade /tmp/tplink_stripped_C50v4.bin

If anybody has performance problems with 5ghz or ipv6, just disable ipv6 from all interfaces. Then everything works perfectly stable.in Germany with ds lite without ipv6 i am so satisfied with openwrt and Archer c50 v4.

Hi mates.

Is It possible to generate one version with luci-app-sqm for bandwidth control?

Thanks in advance.

Hey,

I've merged in the latest changes from OpenWRT master into the c50v4-noboot branch from @blocktrron before building.

I configured the build to have nginx + openssl luci installed and included luci-app-sqm for @fsamper

under network I've enabled hostapd-openssl as built-in and wpa-supplicant-baisc, wpa-supplicant-mesh-openssl, wpad-basic and wpad-mesh-openssl as module.

With that, I have WPA3 SAE as option under wifi settings. But I can't test if it works, as I don't have a device ready that is capable of SAE yet.

Apart from that, I thought about playing with a Mesh-Wifi setup, but I'm unable to get a secured setup working with psk2/aes.
I only have unencrypted or WPA3-SAE available in 802.11s mode.
Changing the wifi config by hand ends up in an not working wifi adapter. Any help would be appreciated (maybe I'm missing some package in my config?)

Links:
fairly old build from the c50v4 branch, that can be used for the initial flash directly from the TPLink firmware:
openwrt-ramips-mt76x8-tplink_c50-v4-squashfs_2018-24-12_factory.bin
freshly compiled build with said configuration:
openwrt-ramips-mt76x8-tplink_c50-v4-squashfs_2019-05-19_sysupgrade.bin

L

Hi All,

I just bought my 2days old C50 v4. out of curiosity i've quickly downloaded " OpenWrt snapshot sysupgrade image" then flash it. At first, it was just all the lights are blinking and i understand that it was a wrong image flash i believe.

After, searching different solutions found out about using "TFTP mode" then for the 2nd time around, I've flashed it again with a wrong image. This time, looks like the power light is the only on. I tried to connect the UTP cord from the router to my laptop but it seems it does not detect my router ports anymore. Is there anyway that I can still bypass the router and flash it back to OEM firmware?

by the way, i have used this method below but it only works once and then after that does not detect my router anymore.

########
Router looks for an IP address of 192.168.0.66 and a file named tp_recovery.bin

1. Setup your computer to 192.168.0.66 (SubnetMask /24 = 255.255.255.0) and connect it to LAN1.
  2. Start TFTP server (with tftpd64 ) and provide recovery file with it.
  3. To activate TFTP Recovery press and hold WPS/Reset Button during powering (8 sec.) on until WPS LED turns on.
    ########

You will need to write the OEM flash backup directly to flash.