[SOLVED] Raspberry Pi 4 and TP-Link UE300 USB Ethernet dongle

I bought a TP-Link UE300 USB Ethernet dongle for my Raspberry Pi 4.
It doesn't seem to have a driver.

I found this:
https://openwrt.org/packages/pkgdata/kmod-usb-net-rtl8152

I tried to install it:

# opkg install kmod-usb-net-rtl8152
Unknown package 'kmod-usb-net-rtl8152'.
Collected errors:
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-usb-net-rtl8152.
Model
Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.1

Architecture
? (why is this a question mark?)

Firmware Version
OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r12230-5715b21f80 / LuCI Master git-20.051.48920-756c894

Kernel Version
1 Like

Maybe you forgot to opkg update?

3 Likes

Interesting, I had done an update before but I did it again and now it installed. :slight_smile:

1 Like

it stores the list in ram disk so you have to update after every reboot

1 Like

If your problem is solved, please consider marking this topic as [Solved]. See How to mark a topic as [Solved] for a short how-to.

I am wondering how would you get to internet in the first place without the TP-Link UE300 USB Ethernet dongle?

My old router is a dhcp server that is connected to the internet.
My Pi4 is just a regular computer with 1 interface connected to the switch.
I guess anything on the switch that has internet shares it with everything else on the switch.
I am having a hard time disabling the dhcp server on the old router and getting the Pi4 to be a dhcp server. :slight_smile:
@Enig123

Another way is VLANs you can connect the one onboard NIC to a managed switch and then VLAN the LAN and WAN through the same port.

Who do I ask about getting kmod-usb-net-rtl8152 added to the factory image, rtl8152 seems to be a common chip for USB->ethernet dongles.

There's lots of devices that OpenWrt supports that don't even have a USB port so I don't think they'll be adding that to the factory images. The solution to this kind of customization is that there's a whole "Imagebuilder" system released for people to build their own custom images. I think there's even still an online server that someone set up to build these images for you (search the forum for online image builder).

What other than the Pi use the same cpu?

Are you aware of any Pi4 specific builds?

I also had to install usb-utils to get lsusb.

There is lots of room for a full linux system. :slight_smile:

I actually do my routing in Raspbian. One shot install, all the mods are there. No need for special kmod packages etc, and it works with nftables out of the box, a requirement for me (and nftables seems broken in current OpenWrt).

Only downside is you have to spin up a router from scratch, mostly on the command line, there's no LuCI and no optimizations for routing.

I think there's definitely room in the world for some kind of BigOpenWrt designed around the assumption of say 1GB of RAM and 16GB of storage as the minimum requirement. In fact I think the future of routers is basically RPi level of resources. When 32GB of micro-sd card is $7 and the whole RPi system + an external access point costs about $150 which is less than the cost of a decent all-in-one router with 1/100 of the space and RAM resources... well it makes you think: :thinking:

1 Like

It seems I am doing alot of command line anyways.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.