Packet loss and Latency R7800

Sydney lucky you. That's definitely one place I would love to visit. I can definitely use some of that heat for my body.

I have two different lines already in the house. TV Network switch the other modem. arlo

Does your TV come in on the same coax?

It's Directv separate line from the cable.

1 Like

I'm wondering if I should do that same test with the other line direct from modem.

Here is a few tests from the netgear cm1000 line

I guess I should of mentioned this I have ping plotter pro fro 3 more days. Can this be useful for you guys?
If it can please let me know what I can do with it.

Was the test here: Packet loss and latency

with or without your router in place? I think it was WITH and it is by far the worst of the bunch.

I think this suggests your router which is known to have issues with its ethernet chip driver is the major culprit. [SOLVED] Router (Netgear R7800) introduced latency spikes >100ms

and Possible cause of R7800 latency issues

The remaining issues with just PC to Modem connection are probably about as good as you're going to get on an oversubscribed DOCSIS link.

Yes with router and the router is 4-5 years old guessing.

Do I complain to the ISP?

The good news guys you'll love me for it. I get my new project tomorrow wrt32x. That was going to be the post. :sunglasses::wink: LOL But anyway maybe we can set that up instead to see what happens.

What do you think?

I also have lying around is a asus rapture gt ac5300 but I'm not if you guys use that.

I absolutely think you should set this up, install OpenWrt, and configure piece_of_cake on it. My guess is you will find almost all of those excess latency spikes gone when you do the Puma test and it will look similar to your PC -> modem bare connection, which isn't THAT bad (not great either, but really much worse with the R7800 in place)

Is the firmware on this website for it? Do I copy settings over to the new one?

https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/18.06.2/targets/mvebu/cortexa9/

to flash from the factory firmware page use: https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/18.06.2/targets/mvebu/cortexa9/openwrt-18.06.2-mvebu-cortexa9-linksys-wrt32x-squashfs-factory.img

This router has two partitions. Once you've got OpenWrt on it, you might want to flash the second partition from OpenWrt use: https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/18.06.2/targets/mvebu/cortexa9/openwrt-18.06.2-mvebu-cortexa9-linksys-wrt32x-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

Don't just copy the settings, I'd say set things up from scratch but use the information you learned here about how to configure the SQM to configure it similarly for the WRT32X, ways it's different include that the WRT32X has two ethernet interfaces and so WAN will be potentially on a different ethernet, such as eth1.2 or something

K thanks a bunch!! While I have you on here is there anyway to get my PC to Ding or a tone letting me know a new notification when someone reply's here?

Not sure, I do get a reply notification on my computer using Firefox, but it is running Linux with Gnome, not Windows. Usually the first time you log in or something it asks if you want to accept notifications from the site. perhaps you told it no, and need to go in and reset that?

Got it... I hit OK. There no app right?

Yeah, if you hit OK when it asked, then I'm at a loss, the browser itself does the notifications provided you leave a browser window open, no extra app.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/push-notifications-firefox

shows how you could go in and disable web push for this site. it will then ask you again, and you can maybe enable it again.

Is the conclusion that the modem is Puma-based? The quick search seems to indicate it is Broadcom The Arris CM8200A is identical to the much more expensive retail Arris SB8200

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Arris_SB8200

I don't think it's Puma based, but I do think the R7800 has known problems with latency spikes. The results here:

are not that unusual IMHO for a docsis link, a few orange and occasionally red squares probably just indicates that some kind of event occurred between you and the server they use for testing. Whereas streaks of red indicate that something is consistently wrong for a while... that's what was seen in:

Incidentally when I run this test, I get a lot of low latency results, and a small number of high latency results, on a Fiber GPON line. But I have a web proxy in the way, and so I think this really just means my web proxy occasionally is doing something. The test is HTTP over TCP based, and isn't testing things like UDP packets for a game. I don't care about 100ms of latency on a web surfing connection, I do care about 20ms of latency on a VOIP connection, and I routinely get statistics reports of less than 1ms jitter in my voip calls even though this test shows isolated spikes of 150ms for initiating a TCP connection via a web browser.

Yeah, I am actually thinking about ditching my R7800 myself. I do not want to use WRT32X because I hear the WiFi is not too stable/good, but most of all because the radio power output cannot be adjusted: I get better speed/quality at lower power around here. Anyone knows if Turris Omnia can adjust the radio power?

I get reasonable wifi results from both my WRT1900ACS and my WRT32X, I added the 32x recently to replace something old acting as an AP. I agree with you about the problem of non-adjustable wifi power though. It just happens that I'm OK with the wifi power since i'm in a single family home with reasonable physical separation from my neighbors. Also the 5GHz decays pretty fast outside the house.

Just curious why put two on there?

Couldn't you just use a repeater with it to extend the wifi? Or is it bad in general that it stops working.