OpenWrt 22.03-rc6 "Build" for TV-boxes (rk322x)

I have assembled a fully working image for RockChip 322x (quad core armv7/32bit) tv-boxes:

These are cheap-*ss devices that usually get dumped into the trashcan, because they have an ancient Android onboard, and they rarely work well.

After many days and the help of the wonderful people at the Armbian board, I managed to assemble a fully working OpenWRT 22.03-rc6 with Kernel 5.16.11.

The filesystem is based on rpi2/model b (armv7-neon), it has a different kernel, full moduleset, and a lot of hardware optimizations.

Cheap and useless as they are, these boards are quite fast as routers, and thanks to OpenWRT now you can have a nice interface and a wealth of software to use!

INSTRUCTIONS:

Download MULTITOOL image and burn it into an SD card, follow instructions for its use here:

Get the OpenWRT image here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MxEDd1COSNiQDrocZLgSscracWDXdVqT/view?usp=sharing

Put it into the SD card (images dir) and flash it!

Follow instructions here:

The box will answer to 192.168.1.1 on its ethernet 10/100 port.

It has an internal wifi, but rarely works and it's disabled by default.

Since those boxes have only one interface, they act like a raspberry 2.

Act accordingly.

10 Likes

So nice to see this! i´m always ask me how good those boxes are and how they can handle router task, the hardware is so powerful comparing some dedicated arm socs. At this time i don't have any to test, but i hope to grab one in a near future, they are so cheap theses days!

2 Likes

Here in Italy I can get them for €9. As for routing, they are indeed quite fast. I can get about 85MB/s with wireguard, which is remarkable. Too bad they don't have an integrated switch, and I have to use them with VLANs/VXLANs etc to get more eth ports.

1 Like

Hola!! tengo una gran duda después de flashearlo ya le puedo extraer la SDcard o no debo sacarlo para nada
Por fa espero su respuesta​:pray::pray:

Istructions:

Looks like I have to search my warehouse to find if I have any of these boxes. With ~15 USD, it is easy to buy many of boxes with Cortex-A53 from China. Unfortunately OpenWrt does not support them.

There are efforts from Chinese users to port OpenWrt over. I don't know why these ports never go upstream though.

Proprietary Botnet anybody???

Hello, the file system of the multitool sdcard is FAT32 and the maximum size of an file in that drive would be 4GB. After extracting your .img file i saw that it has 7GB, what can i do to succesfully send the .img file to the images folder in the sdcard?

You don't need to extract the file. Multitool will decompress and write the file to your emmc as it is.

i.e. just copy the file to /images and burn it. I don't know how to write it more clearly.

3 steps:

Get the OpenWRT image here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MxEDd1COSNiQDrocZLgSscracWDXdVqT/view?usp=sharing

COPY it into the SD card (images dir of MULTITOOL), UNTOUCHED NO NEED TO DECOMPRESS

FLASH IT (Multitool menu)

You are right, thanks. I am new to Linux image burning and i was learning from some videos and they were extracting the content of the file. Thank you again for taking a time to answer my question. Do you know if its possible to configure a Mash network using these TV box?

Good job sir :+1:
@Wyk72
Can rebuild with last source ,:thinking:

Well, I can, but it's basically the same. Don't know if it's worth the trouble. What features are you missing ?

22.03.3 is the latest, this one was a 22.03.rc6

Maybe I'll build a new one with latest kernel and latest openwrt build 22.03.2, just in case. Give me a few hours.

I wonder if I should go for a stable or snapshot release. Maybe stable is better suited, but kernel 5.10.xx is a bit old.

1 Like

Sir @Wyk72
Can you share project build openwrt rk3229 on GitHub :thinking:

Last your source still detect undefined network with my windows :thinking:

The box has a fixed IP 192.168.1.1 and no dhcp server enables, as I stated in the first port it's like a Raspberry PI2.

To reach its web interface you have to add a static ip to your machine in the range 192.168.1.0/24.

You can of course activate dhcp server in the LAN section of OWRT.

Wifi is disabled as is working so badly I decided to disable it.

1 Like

@Wyk72 how to set WiFi On :thinking:

le puedes extraer la SD card, multitool lo graba en la memoria interna. Pero te recomiendo hacer un backup antes de flashear, para volver al estado previo al flash si hay problemas.

Great work, no doubt that Android Boxes are much more cheaper than the cheapest router with USB and it has a lot more RAM, so for USB appliances (file server with external disk drive, bluetooth, and so on) is better choice than a router. I didnt test it yet, but I test ARMBian in a cheap 23 $ X88 pro 10 android box and it works like charm. It would be nice have a standard OpenWRT for those boxs.

1 Like

I think the key to understand these prices is: These devices are sold more massively than routers, and the cheapest models are hard to sell because people doesnt want it, people often wants android box with netflix drm support and so on, i.e: middle price devices.

These devices have usb 2.0 and even usb 3.0 ports, so in the case of connectivity problems (e.g: if you want a external wifi antenna) you can plug wifi usb, ethernet usb, usb hub, and so on. And even in that case, it would be cheaper and more powerful than same price routers.

Hi. I was able to flash it in my box.
but when I reboot, its only show blackscreen with blinking cursor on top left.
what should I do?