Linksys EA6350v3

Good Morning,

I know, probably a dumb thing to ask, but wondering if someone might be willing to build an image for a Linksys 6305v3. I've been having a heck of a time trying to do it, to the point of frustrating me, and am about ready to call it a day. The image I was trying to create was pretty darn simple but between low bandwidth restrictions on a satellite connection and then this router, it's been anything but nice to me.

I wanted to get an image together that did the following things:

1. Lucy enabled (for the interface)
  2. 2.4GHz radio did not have internet connection (just local network and external HDD)
  3. 5Ghz radio did have internet connection and external HDD connection
  4. Support for external, 4tb hdd (preferably support NTFS but not required- I can reflash the drive if need be- it's to be a movie FTP server).

I was trying to build an image so that I could load it all at once and not lose the Linksys software partition which is what happened and basically bricked the first router I had.....but this has not been nearly as easy to setup as DD-WRT.

Thank you for anyone willing to take this on....I'm not wanting to ask anyone to do the time-consuming work for me, but this has just driven me into a corner- and I don't know how to get it right.

6350 v3 is supported :https://openwrt.org/toh/linksys/linksys_ea6350_v3

1 Like

See also NoTengoBattery's community build:
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/custom-build-for-linksys-ea6350v3-civic/44125

but I can't run apk upgrade (as I understand it) because it wipes the second partition- and the openwrt forum version is not v19.xx so it HAS to be upgraded to work...thus not doing what I want.

I would be very careful with firmwares enforcing -O3 which I also mentioned in the thread. Just because it compiles doesn't necessarily means that it works as intended.

So I shouldn't download and try to load this?

I believe all sysupgrades for EA6350 (and EA8300) will wipe/write to the other partition by default/design when 'upgrading' openwrt from one version to another.

If Linksys OEM firmware is still on the 'other' partition and you only flashed OpenWrt to the router just the ONCE and no more, then refer to Recovery (Automatic) instructions in wiki, to force router to boot from other partition which hopefully contains the original linksys firmware.

Alternatively, see Back to Stock instructions. This is useful if openwrt has been flashed to both partitions and you wish to return to LInksys OEM firmware.

wiki:
https://openwrt.org/toh/linksys/linksys_ea6350_v3

Back to Stock
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/ea6350-v3-revert-back-to-stock-factory-firmware/42581/44

OpenWrt 19.07 snapshot is available for the EA6350v3 as mentioned in the wiki
https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/19.07-SNAPSHOT/targets/ipq40xx/generic/

No no.

I haven't flashed this particular router yet. I was going to once I had a stable build going, but I've never built firmware before and it's proving a heck of a lot more difficult than VBA coding and windows stuff (I'm not a linux guy...). I was hoping to flash a ready-to-use image onto the router so I wouldn't have to do an update that would wipe the other partition.

In that case, just install OpenWrt 19.07 snapshot to your new EA6350v3 to get up and running.

If you later choose to upgrade OpenWrt, decide whether to use sysupgrade and overwrite the other partition containing linksys OEM firmware, or revert back to OEM firmware using power-cycle method, and install OpenWrt again via Linksys web UI.

Will do. I just saw the new file on the wiki- it wasn't there a little over a month (or maybe two) when I first jumped into this. The v18.xxx firmware had issues and bricked the other 6350v3 router I had.

Is there a recommendation/difference on the wiki image vs NoTengoBattery's image?

If you are new to OpenWrt, I would perhaps suggest you use OpenWrt 19.07 snapshot to help with the 'early learning' process.

You can always install and try NoTengoBattery's custom build later to the other partition. It includes packages like openvpn, and has a different web UI and LAN IP address etc - see github notes for more details. It also includes a menu option to instruct the EA6350 to boot from other working partition without having to use the 3x timed-power-cycle automatic recovery method.

Still with that dear?
The kernel filter that flag, so it won't crash anyway. This is 2019, dude. We are not using the legacy GCC 4.6 for building Android ROMs. Just get away with it and stop it, you'll do me a favour.

If you have a real proof of the "risks" or anything even relevant, not just a random article made for x86 and wrote 8 years ago, I will retract myself and publicity ask your forgiveness for being a bad developer.

Till then please stop being the black cloud in a clear sky.

This makes sense. Just trying to decide which build is better, the custom build by NoTengoBattery or the one on wiki. Primary use for this is to allow internet on one radio band and the other is exclusively for local network use with integrated (router-based) ftp and external hdd

Adressed here but feel free to ignore it... :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.