Going back to stock (re200)

Serial is not the "only way" to recover, but when all other methods fail, serial is the last resort.

What other methods

And again how can I open it without a vice

The methods listed in the wiki. If they don't work, or are not an option because you can't access the device, then serial is your last option.

Take the device to a hardware store in your area...they may be able to help you get it open.

However, you may have to get another device.

If you do, make sure you understand how to access the serial pinouts, and how to recover...BEFORE purchasing it.

I personally would NEVER buy something I could not open...unless I had a swivel vice.

so the blame is back on me, when the website says

This procedure does not overwrite U-Boot, hence you have higher chances of being able to recover from a bad flash.

But the only other option is serial and HOW did I know it was hard to open

Please find me a way to open it as you also said that flashing back to stock would work

People have recovered RE200s with those instructions...however, each case is different.

Research (especially on the OpenWrt site) would have told you about the difficulties before you purchased it.

Take it to someone who knows what they're doing to get it open...there are no guarantees the device won't be trashed, either by them...or you trying to do it.

Good luck.

I never bought it to run openwrt
I tried openwrt to try and fix a problem and have bricked my re200
I am 100% sure as of now the re200 is 100% working still
luck is not going to open this
and because the website does not clearly explain how to open it or flash back to stock or recover from a bad flash, I would say you owe me a re200

even if I do open how do I get a terminal and will I need an adapter the website explains nothing
as far as I know I will be soldering four wires to a usb serial adapter and using a com port or something

also how did I know I would have to open it, if the flash was sucsessfull I wouldn't have

Last time I'm going to reply...no one owes you anything.

Stop your whining.

You accepted the risks when you installed 3rd party firmware.

It was your responsibility to understand those risks, and prepare for them.

You bricked the device...it's up to you to fix it.

Or, buy a new device and stay with the stock firmware.

I have asked many time for another idea to open it
I wish I had never done this now
I am not happy that you have said it up to me to fix it when It clearly says you can recover from a bad flash and does not meantion serial at all in that sentance

and also buy I new device, when it took two years to get that one
if you knew the problems I have had with tp-link, now I am having problem with you

at the start of this port I was told reflashing to stock would work, what I was failed to be told is something had to be done to the stock image for it to work and was never told I would need serial to fix it

tp-link replaced the re200 with a re305 and let me keep the re200 but now that did not fix my problem they may want it back, then I have nothing, only a re200 that dosn't boot

if the re200 did not have issues with 5GHz WIFI which I failed to find out until flashing it, I would have never going back to stock
the re200 page on the openwrt website does not say there are issues with the SOC for 5GHz
openwrt was not useable on the re200

I am annoyed that you are not helping at all here, you could at least give me an idea how to open it

Stop your whining.

this is not whining the is me mad now

I understood the risks but thinking I could easily recover

IF YOU DO NOT HELP NOW, I WILL GET THIS PROJECT OR WHATEVER IT IS SHUTDOWN
you should clearly state the risks on the website and that there is a problem with 5GHz on the re200

Sorry this is long but I am really mad and stressed

I would like you to tell me what adaptor I need
Also is the plastic stronger than the welds because I have made a hole in the bottom by screwdriver, could I use that to pull the case off without snaping it

lol, how would you achieve this ?

I did go a little too far yesterday.
But Please tell me further details on what I will need to connect serial and if I can pull the case off with long nose pliers as I havemade a small hole in the bottom above the PCB

get something like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TXVRQ7V/ / https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07TXVRQ7V/

there are cheaper models, if you want to save some $$$.

connect it to the PCB, as in the photos in the wiki.
remember RX goes to TX, and vice versa. connect GND as well, but not Vcc.

fire up Putty using com port assigned to the device by Windows, and hope there's serial output coming from the RE200.

I give up ---

so if I went back to this
is the re200 3.3v so I can find a chaper adapter

I am not familiar with that device, but most routers use 3.3V on UART, so it's very likely to work.

1 Like

its not a router though

Maybe it should have been phrased as "most consumer network equipment" use 3.3V.

1 Like

If you want to be certain, and without explicit documentation, you will have to measure the UART voltage level yourself.

--
Rule of thumb, unless stated otherwise, it's likely to be 3.3V, but better be safe than sorry.

1 Like

Anyone got any oyher way of opening it

You've asked this multiple times, everyone can read it.

At this point, I'd suggest to you a hammer - since you refuse to buy a vice to fix your equipment as noted in the Wiki!

It's not magical to crack open some plastic/sheet metal.

Please be advised, 1.) this is a volunteer community and 2.) we didn't manufacture your device - so continually asking us how to open it - while most of us likely don't own it also seems redundant and futile.

Also, I read that you didn't heed a stock firmware version warning...so I'm lost on your being upset with OpenWrt.

Another thing, you assumed an issue with U-boot, actually connecting by serial will show you its true status.

:bulb: Lastly, since you're looking at the device, own it and are in possession of it, you're in a better situation to tell us how to open it without a vice - than us telling you.