GL.iNET Flint 2 (GL-MT6000) discussions

Does tuning overhead, mpu, ingress and egress make much difference to SQM performance?

What results did you get before and after making these changes, could you tell us?

So I've had two MT6000s for a few days, one in main router mode (dhcp, wifi, dns, etc...) and another DUMB AP wired to the main one.

I have tested the official firmware 4.5.8 and although it works quite well, I did not like several points, the final one was the 5GHZ network if you select 160MHZ you cannot select a channel, it directly assigns DFS to it.

I installed the latest SNAP Openwrt on it and it went well, although I noticed some strange things, such as being left without internet access on some pages and not working 100% again until I restarted both devices, now I am on 23.05.3 and I have noticed the same behavior, I also saw something disassociated in wifi log.

Say that I have hardware acceleration active in the main and wed, in the apdumb I don't have any of that active.

Otherwise it works quite well, although I would like to optimize both devices a little more (I get a wifi download of 850/936mbs on both, I have 1000/1000mbs internet)

The overhead/mpu tunings are meant to help the accuracy of the rate-limiting algorithm shape to the correct rate. For example, I'm shaping a wireguard tunnel that goes through a VDSL2 choke-point so I set the overhead to 82 (60 for wireguard, 22 for bridged-ptm, see tc-cake manpage) and mpu to 128 (60 for wireguard, 68 from observed cake stats on non-wireguard traffic). After these settings, when I set cake's bandwidth to 39mbit I observe an outgoing bitrate on my modem of almost exactly 39mbit (~38.89mbit). Without these overhead/mpu tunings I see outgoing bitrates that are ~5% off, in this particular example.

These tunings probably only matter when you are trying to squeeze every last bit out of your connection. Cake's defaults are sane and conservative. Overhead compensation can be quite a rabbit-hole because you never really know what protocols are being used.

Cake/SQM have their own threads though, so this is probably the wrong place for continued conversation. The tc-cake manpage is a very good source of information that I occasionally (constantly? :upside_down_face:) have to re-read.

Did you try disabling Bridger on the dumb AP and WED on the both MT6000s? I have this issue when roaming around my house, but as soon as I do this, everything works perfectly.

1 Like

No have install bridger, only wed in mt6000 router 1

Try disabling WED on all routers

I'm on the 23.05.3 and after about a week of uptime I noticed that the wifi was having issues. My laptop was connected, but websites were timing out, and my phone had just silently switched to LTE.

I went to a system with a wired connection, and websites were still loading fine, so I logged into luci. For about a second, it looked normal, then the interface updated and all of the details on the Status -> System section (Hostname, Model, Architecture, etc.) switched to question marks. I should have taken a screenshot, but I refreshed the page and it then gave me an unable to connect error.

I tried SSH'ing into it and got 'Host is down'.

I unplugged it, waited a few seconds, and then plugged it back in, and things seem to be back to normal now.

I moved it to beside my 2.5g switch instead of on top of it, just in case it was an overheating issue.

I know that's probably not enough info to narrow down the issue, but are there any steps I can take, either now or if it happens again, to help troubleshoot what the issue is?

Some may disagree with me, but consider doing a sysupgrade to a snapshot. The wifi (mt76) drivers are far more up to date and work better, mine has been basically flawless.

5 Likes

Actually I agree here.
I had the same issue at some point - WiFi / router just gradually went unresponsive.
Pings were in the seconds.

But kept updating the snapshots and never had this issue ever since.
Briefly tested the 23.05.3, but returned to snapshots after a day or two.

3 Likes

Yeah, I may switch to a snapshot, but I'd like to have a better handle on what's going on here. WiFi, luci, and ssh all failing within a short timeframe feels like a significant enough issue that we may want to patch it in a 23.05.x release.

I just updated to snapshot 26272 and noticed this new setting under Interfaces>Global Network Options:

Has anyone played with this to see if it improves performance in any way?

Edit: There are different settings for Packet Steering: Disabled, Enabled, and Enabled (all CPUs).

2 Likes

Yes, you can enable VPN either WireGuard or OpenVPN in the original GLiNet UI.

I bought from GLiNet also and also with Australian connector. Have not flashed anything yet as I'm trying to understand what I got and do some testing before flashing so that I can do testing after flashing to know if I did something wrong. Feel free to ask whatever you interested as I currently trying to create a plan of what I test.

I'm considering this router, but have a (noobish) question:
What do I gain - or lose - by flashing 23.05.3 Stable over the latest factory firmware?
ie are there customised factory features that will be lost?
Given that everyone here is flashing stable or Snapshot, Im guessing there's more to gain, but I'm not a power user.

Honestly, go with snapshot. I have this setup for a noobish person on snapshot and he has 0 complaints. Snapshot has the latest fixes and latest drivers etc. There is a small chance of bugs, but it’s very small. Since this device is relatively new, imo snapshot is better than stable for the time being.

3 Likes

only issue i found with snapshots is that the repos get updated for the latest snapshot, so trying a new program or service that relies of specific version like the kernel will fail to install if your on an older snapshot.

1 Like

since i been testing mt6000, i found that wifi drops and reconnect when my pc gets switched on. pc via router 2.5gb ethernet.
latest snapshot
irqbalance enabled
hwo swo enabled
wed enabled.

Same problem

Same problem for me

You know I would not say I'm power user. I still in the process understand what I got from manufacturer. What I did not like is tailscale. I really do not need this service. I did not like the fact that my router goes and attempts to connect to services somewhere I have not asked for. So for me I'd rather just play a bit to understand what they have provided. some feature I like like DLNA, but generally speaking I made a conscious decision I will be installing vanialla openwrt instead of their staff. The main concern is the security. They have installed a lot of stuff which most likely I would not need and some people in this thread were saying they have installed some old stuff whcih has or may have vulnerabilities. Wether it was done intentionaly or unintentionaly it forces me to install vanila OpenWRT.

1 Like

If I get one I'm thinking similarly. Probably not a good idea to rely on OEM firmware.