Fritzbox 7362 SL: Error: Network device is not present with fresh installation

Hello everybody,

I currently try to use OpenWrt (version 19.07.7) for the first time. I want to use my FritzBOX 7362 SL as a direct connection to my ISP. For context, I already asked another question here: Problem connecting Fritzbox 7362 SL to Deutsche Telekom (Germany) ISP . However, this 'new' problem is independent of the ISP.

When I reset OpenWRT and don't change any configuration, I still get for the WAN Interface in Network -> Interface an Error: Network device is not present. It also has no MAC address. Is this normal when nothing is connected to the 'DSL' port of my router? Or is this a problem in itself which I have to fix before trying to connect to the ISP? And if so, do you have any recommendations what I can do?

cat /etc/config/network:

config interface 'loopback'
	option ifname 'lo'
	option proto 'static'
	option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
	option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config globals 'globals'
	option ula_prefix PREFIX

config atm-bridge 'atm'
	option vpi '1'
	option vci '32'
	option encaps 'llc'
	option payload 'bridged'
	option nameprefix 'dsl'

config dsl 'dsl'
	option annex 'b'
	option tone 'av'
	option ds_snr_offset '0'

config interface 'lan'
	option type 'bridge'
	option ifname 'eth0.1'
	option proto 'static'
	option ipaddr '192.168.1.1'
	option netmask '255.255.255.0'
	option ip6assign '60'

config device 'lan_eth0_1_dev'
	option name 'eth0.1'
	option macaddr MAC

config interface 'wan'
	option ifname 'dsl0'
	option proto 'pppoe'
	option username 'username'
	option password 'password'
	option ipv6 '1'

config device 'wan_dsl0_dev'
	option name 'dsl0'
	option macaddr MAC

config interface 'wan6'
	option ifname '@wan'
	option proto 'dhcpv6'

config switch
	option name 'switch0'
	option reset '1'
	option enable_vlan '1'

config switch_vlan
	option device 'switch0'
	option vlan '1'
	option ports '0 1 2 4 6t'

Thank you so much!

I'm the author of 7362SL support and I don't remember seeing this while developing support or later when testing releases and snapshots. Can you flash FritzOS and see if you can establish the DSL connection there? That would eliminate hardware issues.

Thank you for the answer. I already tried this this morning, and I have no problems there connecting to my ISP (Deutsche Telekom in Germany).

DTAG needs VLAN tagging on VID7, so replace all instances of dsl0 with dsl0.7.

Thank you for the answer. However, I still get the same Error: Network device is not present message when doing that. From @danijeltudek 's answer I suspect that the error should never be there. So I think that configuring the ISP at the same time right now should not solve the issue, right?