Fritzbox 4040 guest lan

Hi.

It seems the Fritzbox 4040 has some weird issues with the switch, not properly documented in the hw page (only a quick note about WAN not being a switch, no mention of issues with the other 4 ports) but quite recurring such as this or this or this

First off, may I write something in the wiki to save "future me" or another user some pain?
Any guidance is appreciated.

Next, some of those suggestions try to handle a different use case: I'd like to dedicate a physical port to a guest vlan and, also, bridge it to each of the two radios. Has anyone managed to do that with 18.06.2 ?

Thanks,
Andrea.

What does that mean?

No resolution as of yet, though on my list to look into, at least to catalog what is possible and what is not.

The WAN/Internet port is typically bound to one VLAN and the LAN ports to another VLAN, down at the driver level.

3 Likes

I'd suggest to document this as a more generic page for all ipq40xx, as most of them should be in the same (or at least a very similar) boat.

https://openwrt.org/docs/techref/hardware/soc/soc.qualcomm.ipq40xx is yet to be written.

Knowledgeable volunteers are welcome to create this page!

1 Like

It means I tend to forget why I do things and therefore I have developed a healthy habit of writing it down, at least for myself.
In this case, I was aware of the WAN issue before buying and chose to disregard it because it doesn't impact my setup. I would like to write something for the switch ports, to that effect.
I'll try to write a skeleton page based on what I learn from my 4040, then we can take it from there.
edit: looks like it's not going to be a walk in the park, though :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I am still in no position to write a nice generic page but I have added a note under the 4040 page with short warning and a link to a possible solution.

Thanks for this mini guide. I tried a hour or so to get it working and wondered why the VLAN doesn't show up on swconfig dev switch0 show. Remember using option vlan smaller than 128 otherwise it will just silently fail :grinning::+1:

1 Like