Here and there I see questions regarding installation of OpenWrt on TP-Link devices and error codes 4503 + 18005.
I have been searching the forum and collected the following information, in order to improve the OpenWrt FAQ. Can someone please verify for correctness?
Issue: Error codes while trying to flash an image via TP-Link OEM WebGUI
Error code: 4503 The uploaded file was not accepted
Error code: 18005 Upgrade unsuccessfully because the version of the upgraded file was incorrect. Please check the file name.
- TP-Link "Region locked" firmware. This firmware is checking for a specific region signature when flashing.
- Lack of regional metadata in OpenWrt image; Different, unsupported country specific OEM hardware/firmware (e.g. chinese version).
"In most cases “Error code: 18005” means that the latest/ current vendor firmwares now (suddenly, older firmware versions didn’t) insist on region coded firmware images and reject any old(er) firmware without a region code (or a firmware with the wrong region code)."
- Use an OpenWrt firmware image with the appropriate region code (US, EU, ...) for your device, if available
- Make the file name shorter, like ''factory-eu.bin'' or ''firmware.bin''
- Use TFTP for flashing instead of WebGUI (TFTP flashing does not check regional code)
possibly rename the OpenWrt image to "wr802nv1_tp_recovery.bin" (adapt filename to your device)
- Some newer devices even go through great lengths to sign the firmware itself, making it impossible to flash a non-vendor-firmware from the webinterface (https://forum.lede-project.org/t/build-for-tp-link-tl-wr940n-v4-all-versions/1153/5?u=tmomas) No solution for that.
FIXME Which devices have signed fw and expect signed fw images for flashing? Please add some examples.