Build for Linksys EA9500

Apologies for the late response. Had a few things going on yesterday.
Anyway, I am getting more and more confused about the behaviour of the router/firmware :slight_smile:

After running your command, I don't seem to be seeing much improvement, however... There might be some?

Pinging:
Laptop (Wifi 5)

NAS (Wired) OK
Router OK
Smartplug (Wifi 2.4) OK

Router

Laptop (Wifi 5) OK
NAS OK
Smartplug (Wifi 2.4) OK

NAS (Wired)

Laptop (Wifi 5) OK
> Smartplug (Wifi 2.4) NOK
Router OK

... Could it have something to do with 2.4Ghz wifi vs 5Ghz wifi?
I have yet to try wired-to-wired, but I've been a bit busy, sorry!

Thanks for testing. Although, I had to take the build off the page since two users complained about loosing third wifi chip. I'm sure it's corruption, but not sure what is causing it.

No worries. I'll keep running with the alpha build for now. The only things that I had to do was unplug the wire from the TV, so my partner can watch stuff from the NAS, and my smart plugs don't register with my home assistant for now, but neither of those are huge issues, and if it is of any help at all, I'd rather keep it running and run some (more?) diagnostics :slight_smile:
If it helps, I'm more than happy to provide a jump-box so you can ssh into my router to do some digging for yourself

1 Like

@Drak0z thanks a lot for your analysis and offer to ssh into the router. Although, that won't be necessary :slight_smile:

I'll try to setup my devices here to mimic your setup and try it out.

1 Like

Ok, I have a request for anyone who is still on 2020-01-02 build or earlier and have their three radios working. Can you dump mtd0, mtd1 mtd2, mtd3, mtd6 and mtd7 (if it's available) then put it somewhere I can download the entire zip.

cat /dev/mtd0 > /tmp/mtd0
cat /dev/mtd1 > /tmp/mtd1
cat /dev/mtd2 > /tmp/mtd2
cat /dev/mtd3 > /tmp/mtd3
cat /dev/mtd6 > /tmp/mtd6
cat /dev/mtd7 > /tmp/mtd7

Also, can you revert to factory and dump mtd6 (equalant to mtd7 on openwrt) to usb - that will be great.

I'm trying to figure out the missing third wifi - apparently I'm now in similar situation :slight_smile:

Hi npcomplete, done :slight_smile:
I will post any updates / tests on the new build (I will skip the alpha since I am not THAT experienced) in here since I am limited to three posts....

1 Like

You are awesome! Thanks

EDIT: You can now remove your upload. Thanks.

A post was split to a new topic: OpenWrt support for EA9400

Hello,

is dinamic link aggregation 802.3ad LACP supported on this firmware. When yes, on wich ports, and how to enable it? Thank you

Hi,

you find my mtd's here
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1rJbE9wkp3ZnyqI7csfpnT2_Mg239YlhV?usp=sharing

(mtd7 doesnt exists)
I use all radios, with some speciality: radio0 5 GhZ as client to external 4G router in wlan-Bridge mode
and radio1 +2 : 2,4 GhZ + 5 GhZ as master

That's amazing. Would you mind generating the mtds from System -> Flash screen to backup the various partitions?

I just want to check if they generate different images.

Its done, you find all under same gdrive link.
*MTD6 is unable to download vie browser. Its start to download 97 MB, but after 52% (ca 50 MB) stops the downloading process. Tried with different browsers :frowning:

thanks for openwrt mtds!

[EDIT]

For mtd6 can you try:

dd if=/dev/mtd6 of=/tmp/OpenWrt.mtd6.bin

ok, MTD6 done. You find it on the gdrive

1 Like

I'm running build 2019-06-19 kernel 4.19.52 with Radio0 (2.4) & Radio1 (5Ghz) both working (not the third radio).
I couldn't make radios work with build 2020-01-02 so I went back to 2019-06-19
Before OpenWrt, I was running Linksys US with 3 radios until I entered the endless reboot issue and move to OpenWrt, I also couldn't restore factory (cycle reboot continues)
If I can be of any help, let me know
THANKS for your work and all the ones that are involved

When the third radio stops working you cannot run factory firmware. I'm not sure if this is an issue with the hardware or the software that kills the third radio.

With Openwrt, you at least have two radios.

Yes, with this 2 radios I'm more than happy and my EA9500 is again up and running thanks to people like you and others working in the project :clap: :clap: :clap: !!!

1 Like

Hi, @npcomplete
Three questions need your help. :slightly_smiling_face:

(1) Before I install openwrt firware, I prefer to export a copy of the existing firmware on my router. Would you please help to see how to generate EA9500_Factory.trx? In this way, I can be sure that I will be able to restore the original firmware copy if something goes wrong.
(2) Can I use all 8 LAN ports on the router after installing openwrt firmware? I saw the earlier post that not all(only half?) the LAN ports can be used.
(3) If openwrt install is successful, should I be able to use at least 2 radios if it is not 3?

Thanks!

You don't gain anything by blacking up firmware partitions. Although, you should back up the nvram partition. You can backup those only when you connect serial console.

All three radios should work if there is nothing wrong with the router to begin with. Same with all 8 ports

1 Like

Thanks very much for the info! I have the serial console cable. Would you please tell me what is the command to back up the nvram partition? I guess the initial login procedure is same as the one described here at https://serialize.wordpress.com/2017/02/01/linksys-ea9500-stuff/#flashing up to step 5.