BT Home Hub 5 A Vodafone VDSL2 Italia / Italy 8b 12a 17a 35b Retransmission (ITU-T G.998.4) Vectoring ( ITU-T G.993.5) SRA (ITU-T G.993.2)

Good morning, I purchased this modem/router, reading on the OpenWrt compatibility list, but apparently I didn't read all the way through, as this modem with version 21.03 with which I purchased it does not contain the profiles required by my VDSL2 connection, but neither does ADSL2+, which I don't care about.

I have a FB modem/router that currently supports the profiles required by this VDSL2 but, again from the OpenWrt list I don't understand if the image is in still pending for what reason, to mount it on this FB router, so I had bought a Lantix200 because I thought it was almost fully supported in opensource.

Anyway, I leave you the link with the required setting profiles, if anyone knows how I might be able to get it to work, or if they simply need some particular XDSL firmware, obviously not having found any specifications for the Italian market

Thank you.

As per the page you link:

riferimento: VDSL2 profili 8b, 12a, 17a, 35b. Consigliati: Retransmission (ITU-T G.998.4) Vectoring ( ITU-T G.993.5) SRA (ITU-T G.993.2)

For vectoring VDSL lines you need a vectoring-enabled firmware. The default firmware shipped with OpenWrt is not vectoring capable.

One of those?

Yes, exactly. In addition, unless your "21.03" is a typo, I would strongly recommend stepping up to OpenWrt 22.03. Even though it does not come with a vectoring firmware either, it contains important fixes for vectoring lines once a vectoring firmware is used.

I see on the device page switch positions could also differ, i should try different ports before?

Also before upgrade i would wait to establish a connection and use directly opk.

How i can put that xDSL firmware? Only with SSH? Thank you.

Ok, I've read this thread Lantiq VRX200 modem firmware with VDSL2 vectoring support - #17 by Notupus and i better understand i should upgrade to 22.03, but again on the device page i see there is a boot loop issue, so i'm a little confused.

Also i can't understand how to load this xDSL firmware i never did nothing via SSH and usually i never do this.

Well, you need to copy the firmware to your router.
You can do this via scp. Assuming, you are using MS-Windows you could try WinSCP.
Then you can change the path to the firmware in the router setup using LuCI.
Or you can do it manually.
For this you need to type a few commands on the router.
For this you need to logon via ssh.

I think WinSCP would be easier, anyway what i was misunderstanding here is what type of firmware we where talking about, for what i get now is, i will connect router to windows extract them and with WinSCP i should navigate inside ... lib/firmware/ and leave just ONE .bin? Correct?

Here in Germany i need to use a firmware which last digit is a 7.
Only this will support VDSL with vectoring, used by Deutsche Telekom. I assume this will be the same for you.
I would indeed put the firmware into /lib/firmware on the router.
You don't need to delete the other files. Just make sure that you put the right path and filename under Network->Interfaces->DSL->firmware file in LuCI.

:thinking:

Which one you mean? The 9.1.4 version? 5.9.1.4.0.7 for FB?

And doing this to obtain the files?

7z e FRITZ.Box_7430-07.21.image -r filesystem.image
unsquashfs4-avm-be filesystem.image -e filesystem_core.squashfs

cd squashfs-root
unsquashfs4-avm-be filesystem_core.squashfs -e lib/modules/dsp_vr9/

cd squashfs-root/lib/modules/dsp_vr9/
bspatch vr9-B-dsl.bin vr9-A-dsl.bin vr9-A-dsl.bin.bsdiff

NOTE: unsquashfs4-avm-be is part of https://github.com/Freetz-NG/freetz-ng/. You have to checkout the freetz-ng source and build the tools (make tools) to get the binary. NOTE: p7zip version 15.09 or newer is required to extract the images.

For beginners, i would start with 5.7.B.5.0.7-5.7.5.4.0.1.
It works quite fine, and you don't have to hassle with the Freetz stuff.
Just download the firmware file and extract the .bin.
If you're not satisfied with it, you can still go for a newer version.

1 Like

Yeah, that should be enough for now, also because before buy this BT i saw the Freetz-NG stuff and i mean with some basic coding i will end somewhere but, maybe was better to buy directly a 3490 lol

Only if you want to stay on the stock firmware.
Currently there is no OpenWRT for the 3490 available.
And it's not really easier to put OpenWRT on other routers...some are, but others require a lot of work to do so.

Hello, for what i think now is that i maybe need those files in the newer versions: bspatch vr9-B-dsl.bin vr9-A-dsl.bin vr9-A-dsl.bin.bsdiff , from FB.

Because after loaded the mentioned

[quote="elder_tinkerer, post:11, topic:138577"]
5.7.B.5.0.7-5.7.5.4.0.1.
[/quote] ,

Listed the right complete path (lib/firmware/something.bin, and upgraded to 22.03 version, the LUCI GUI firstly, doesn't show or let me select any new, and needed Annex profiles.

Without changing the correct profiles and vectoring i don't think i could ever connect, so better to know how to act before, also because the only post i've found here, are mentioning on how to add those files but then build a new image and i don't think this is my case, so i would just try to obtain the 9th stable version at this point.

At first, the copy of this message which was sent to my email account has got more information than the one i can read on this forum. Very strange...

In my opinion you don't need the mentioned files.
It's just the extracted dsl_vr9_(many numbers).bin what you need. I just renamed it to vdsl_fw.bin (pick any name you like) and put it into /lib/firmware. And set the correct path.
If you flash a new version of OpenWRT to your router, the .bin file will be deleted and you have to copy it to the router and set the path again.
You mentioned, you use the WAN port for DSL? If you want to use the built-in modem you have to use the DSL port.

The VLAN functionality in the "switch" area has nothing to do with the VLAN-ID you need for the VDSL connection.
In LuCI->Network->Interfaces->Devices you need to "Add device configuration" with "Device type" VLAN (802.1q), "base device" dsl0 and "VLAN ID" 1063. This will give you a "device name" dsl0.1063. After this, in Interfaces->WAN you just select PPPOE, your dsl0.1063 as device and you need to enter your credentials.
There might be other ways to set up the interfaces, but they might confuse you even more than you are at the moment :thinking:
I do hope that's enough to keep you busy for the next fortnight...

Thank you very much i just didn't get i had to use the old rj cable to use the right switch!

Just as i have changed cable it started to connect, but anyway i really appreciated your effort to explain me much more things.

Just another question if someone would like to help me, i am getting only 60Mbps now so 100Mbps less, i tried to add QOS that strangely was not present in this firmware image, but didn't helped me at all.

I did also tried to move my SNR up and down 6db at time also i tried to change it a little like 2db but still no big changes, what i should try? Just another xDSL firmware i guess? Because in previous settings i've found that maybe this is the real bandwidth and i get 100 more for some QOS or packet steering that are inside those vectoring profiles? But i am just supposing all those things, or i didn't even started this thread if i had better knowledge in those profiles.

Thank you.

Without complete and precise line data (SNR, line rates, basically the whole line statistics section) it is hard to say if and what is wrong with your line and what to do about it.

Also you can perfectly well go straight to the latest current XDSL firmware (as of this writing this is probably 5.9.1.4.0.7-5.9.0.D.0.2). There's still people recommending going to a specific older one to avoid errors, but that is very anecdotal and specific to that one person's line, and starting with 22.03 the major problems with VDSL that prompted experimenting with firmware versions have been solved.

What speed do you expect to get? 200 MBit/s?
I assume, for this the profile 35b will be used.
Which Fritz!Box model do you have?
What speed will you get with the Fritz!Box?

I don't think that the built-in VDSL modem of the HomeHub5A is capable of Supervectoring and can handle much more than approx. 100 MBit/s.

1 Like

Correct. The Lantiq XRX200 modems lack the hardware to do 35b "Supervectoring", none of the currently OpenWrt-supported modems can do it. It can sync and handle Vectoring up to 200 mbit, but the Lantiq CPU taps out at routing around 100 mbit. It could do more than that when used as a "bridged modem" only, but of course you need a second router then.

1 Like

If one is willing to build one's own firmware image with external patches, it seems that vrx518 devices like fritzbox 7530 might actually allow using profile 35b:

How well that works I can not judge, my ISP does not offer 35b on my link so I could not test that even if I had a vrx518 device to begin with.

Given the high market penetration of AVM devices in Germany and that profile 35b likely is both the peak and the end of common dsl technology (ignoring g.fast here) it would be sweet if OpenWrt could gain vrx518 support in mainline...

2 Likes