Asus TUF AX4200 support

Where is all other flash space :woozy_face: ? Are there any hope to recover it?

I just tried using OpenWRT LUCI (WEB) to install initramfs image (not trx) on the linux volume (forced mode). And the image was successfully flashed and started successfully.
And in initramfs-mode we can do whatever we want with ubi volumes.
This is how you can return to stock firmware.

I also need to publish this initramfs image....

Restoring the stock AsusWRT from initramfs-mode:

ubirmvol /dev/ubi0 -N rootfs
ubirmvol /dev/ubi0 -N rootfs_data
ubirmvol /dev/ubi0 -N jffs2
ubirmvol /dev/ubi0 -N linux
ubimkvol /dev/ubi0 -N linux -s 0x45fe000
dd if=/tmp/tufax4200.trx bs=64 skip=1 > /tmp/tufax4200.fit
linux_num=$( ubinfo -d 0 -N linux | awk 'NR==1 {print $3}' )
ubiupdatevol /dev/ubi0_$linux_num /tmp/tufax4200.fit
reboot
2 Likes

I have already fixed this in my OpenWRT repository:

As a result of these changes, free space increases by 90 MB.

Tomorrow I will also add the ability revert to stock firmware via the LuCI WEB interface...

3 Likes

thanks i will stay tomorrow so

very good work of your part

just one question before firmware version doesn't matter? for openwrt flash

3.0.0.4.388_31244

hi remittor , I've just seen that you added the commit a little while ago to go back to stock firmware,

If I understand correctly, I'll flash your new image here to be sure.

Installiation OpenWrt image:

1. Download TRX-image openwrt-23_tuf-ax4200-initramfs.trx and install its via WEB-interface AsusWRT.
    Change computer IP-addr to 192.168.1.10 and wait 60...90 seconds.
  2. Download OpenWRT sysupgrade image openwrt-mediatek-filogic-asus_tuf-ax4200-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin (or download the sysupgrade image from another location) and install its via WEB-interface OpenWRT.
    Wait for the system to restart for 60...120 seconds.

Revert to stock AsusWRT:

1. Install package facinstall.
  2. Install Asus stock TRX-image via OpenWRT LuCI interface.
    Change computer IP-addr to 192.168.50.10 and wait 70...120 seconds.

All the files listed above can be downloaded from here: my google drive

My sysupgrade image is very large because there are a lot of huge applications there: Samba, btrfs, nextdns, etc.

10 Likes

thanks for explanation first inittramfs.trx via asus i wait the flash 90 sec

and if never i will revert to asus i put inittramfs.bin

2 Likes

Please excuse me, this might be a dumb question, but will the factory wifi calibration be kept after whole this process? I’m not sure I understand all of that correctly, but during a similar process, I damaged Linksys WRT1900AC wifi calibration (I think it’s called DST).

all is good :pray: :stuck_out_tongue: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Next to my desk there are 6 different routers and all have OpenWRT installed (I built the images myself).
And nowhere was I able to destroy the factory partitions.

4 Likes

Your a legend. Thank you for this.

3 Likes

If now want to have more disk space after using Yours older trx and have fully working openwrt should I go back to asus firmware and once more flash Yours newer openwrt trx or any faster way?

1. install openwrt-23_tuf-ax4200-initramfs.bin via LuCI
  2. install any sysupgrade image
4 Likes

Is the solution posted by @remittor safe for end users?

@daniel @patrykk @bmork
Is there any way to work this out and make it official? I know there has been some disagreement about the way the solution is presented, specifically not going through github. But since @remittor found a solution when noone else did, maybe you guys could come together and find a way.

@frollic the device page is still empty, just a friendly reminder.

Many similar solutions have existed in the official repository for a long time.
OpenWRT flashing via the stock WEB interface is implemented for many devices.

It’s just that in this case no one wanted to make everything convenient for the end user.

bonus

Actually, there are more hardcore installation methods, when stock firmware checks the digital signature of the images:

Install OpenWrt on my Mi R3G - #4 by remittor

2 Likes

I know it must be frustrating to find solutions and hitting some bureaucratic hurdles. Remember though that, afaik, everyone working on OpenWRT is doing so voluntarily. There might be resource constraints and the guidelines posed are there to best manage the resources that are available and ensure a smooth process.

I know the urge to become cynical but I'm sure noone is actually purposely not making things convenient for the end user.

From my point of view this is a community effort, as such it will only work out if people can try and work together. Disregarding who is wrong or right in this case I hope you will give it another shot. Maybe looking at the dev guidelines (specifically this part) again will help.

With all that said thanks a lot for McGyvering the shit out of this Router and making it easier to install. Keep it up! :slight_smile:

Thanks @remittor that is very cool work

Are there description of any WiFi specific options for this router/target? E.g. Airtime Fairness, beamforming, OFDMA?
And what's about turning off ALL LEDs? I've put all options in LED to Always OFF (Kernel:none) but to no avail - some LEDs turned off, nevertheless LAN ports obviously are blinking.

Is this in 23.05 mainstream branch or just in your builds?

The version of image initramfs and the version of sysupgrade image are in no way connected with each other (that is, they can be completely different).