5GHz Low performance on TP-Link Archer C6 V2

That is basically what you can expect from single core QCA9563 @ 775MHz entry level router. 35MB/sec is a good speed. You can always try to overclock it. Performance scales in linear fashion. My C7 (using QCA9558) will overclock to 1GHz and at that point, CPU and WiFi curves intersect and there is couple of CPU % left.

Max performance is about 350Mbit/s due the slow CPU

Tested with iperf3 between two computers

VHT80
5640Mhz
bridge mode
CPU load at 100 percent during the test (in Archer C6v2 router)

DOWN: 250-300 Mbit/s
UP: 350-400Mbit/s

Yeah, it is CPU bound. But as I said before, 30MB/sec on WiFi is really good for what it is: a low-tier single core 2x2 .ac router.

tried this router as mesh ap on 5ghz. Performance is terrible.

Is anyone still having issues with 5Ghz wifi performance when using the latest OpenWRT firmware: 21.02.2 ??? I bought this router today, thinking that it has no real wifi issue until I happened to bump into this forum link during a Google search. :roll_eyes:

It is not that fast compared with more powerful routers like R7800 but as you can read in the last post the general issues is solved. But it is still a slow router because of CPU and not used hardware offloading.

Thanks for replying.

I am not expecting a cheap router like this Archer C6 to outperform an expensive router like R7800.

I am interested in the 5GHz performance throughput.

If I install 21.02.2 Openwrt firmware, does the Iperf3 performance fare better or worse or on par compared using Tp-link OEM firmware? That is my main concern here. If you have any experience in testing this router's WIFI performance on the 5GHz freq. Please share. Thank you. :slightly_smiling_face:

I am intending to use the router as an AP, with no NAT function involved, all this job is left to my pfSense router to handle it. So, whether hardware offloading is ON or OFF, should not be applicable to my case.

In my case using it also as AP only and it works flawless with up to 50Mbtye/s. But there are other experiences that it will reach 35Mbyte/s only which is also very good compared with the time before the issue was solved. You can find everything in comments in this post.

But be aware that it is not that easy to go back to OEM firmware...

1 Like

Yes, I did notice it is not easy to revert back to the original tp-link firmware
:point_down::point_down:

I tried as in the beginning 5Ghz was unusable and did not get it to revert. But actually it runs very fine so install it. The very small memory of the EU version is a little annoying only.

Hi,
It it worth to install wrt in current status instead of tplink firmware which has no updates currently?
It is my primary router so nating and dhcp server is must have. Will be worse or better on owrt? I'm using a6 in wds bridging Mode also for extending wifi range.
Greetings!

This is iperf3 on C7 v2, measuring upload from my iphone. Using latest image, 80MHz 5GHz channel. 1GHz OC. Download is slightly slower (around 500Mbit/sec). I use them as dumb AP's so throughput is LAN to LAN only.

This is quite fantastic for 8 year old router and it will take long time for me to justify move to .ax

Do you have to change any default setting to get these speeds? I'm using TP-Link Archer C7 v5 and I never got its 5GHz speed to exceed 100 Mbps. Been using since 21.02 IIRC, and 802.11ac has always been the same. Nothing in the LuCi settings jumps out to me as the cause for this limit, and the previous replies here implies you all getting 300Mbps after firmware updates is even more confusing to me. Should I be enabling some software or hadrware offloading somewhere?

Just today I learned about forcing 40MHz channel width for bgn and that resulted on my 2.4GHz reaching almost 100Mbps. I hope there's a similar small change to get my 5GHz in order.

Make it 80mhz in 5ghz band.

I checked it again and it's already 80MHz. AFAIR, it was always 80MHz by default. And there's literally zero 5GHz signals in the vicinity, so there's no crowding, let alone any interference.

Are you doing a speedtest or iperf? It looks like you maybe limited by the 100mbps speed of the lan port?

Doing a speed test, I'll not be able to do iperf anytime soon. But it's nothing to do with FE speeds, my router is all gigabit, and the upstream ISP interface is also gigabit (the service I'm supposed to get is 250Mbps). With a LAN connection, speed test easily goes above and beyond 100Mbps, so this is squarely a WiFi issue.

1 Like

I have the same problem:

root@OpenWrt:~$ cat /etc/config/wireless

config wifi-device 'radio0'
	option type 'mac80211'
	option path 'pci0000:00/0000:00:00.0'
	option channel '36'
	option band '5g'
	option htmode 'VHT80'
	option country 'IL'
	option cell_density '0'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio0'
	option device 'radio0'
	option network 'lan'
	option mode 'ap'
	option ssid 'Roy&Karin'
	option encryption 'sae-mixed'
	option key 'EngineeringPoyke'
	option wpa_disable_eapol_key_retries '1'

config wifi-device 'radio1'
	option type 'mac80211'
	option path 'platform/ahb/18100000.wmac'
	option channel '1'
	option band '2g'
	option htmode 'HT40'
	option country 'IL'
	option cell_density '0'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio1'
	option device 'radio1'
	option network 'lan'
	option mode 'ap'
	option ssid 'RoyAndKarin'
	option encryption 'sae-mixed'
	option key 'EngineeringPoyke'
	option wpa_disable_eapol_key_retries '1'
royash@Roys-MBP ~ % /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/airport -I
     agrCtlRSSI: -35
     agrExtRSSI: 0
    agrCtlNoise: -92
    agrExtNoise: 0
          state: running
        op mode: station 
     lastTxRate: 780
        maxRate: 867
lastAssocStatus: 0
    802.11 auth: open
      link auth: wpa3-sae
          BSSID:
           SSID: Roy&Karin
            MCS: 9
  guardInterval: 800
            NSS: 2
        channel: 36,80

My ISP gives me 300 Mbps download and 30 Mbps upload.
In addition, when I choose in openwrt the frequency to be on auto mode, the network doesn't appear on my raspberry pi 4.

Is there any way to improve the download speed?

Another image during the test:

Enable offloading from firewall menu.