19.07 build for Archer C6 v2

Here is the new firmware from 19.07 branch, added lots of new features, running stable.

openwrt-ath79-generic-tplink_archer-c6-v2-squashfs-factory.bin
openwrt-ath79-generic-tplink_archer-c6-v2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

*Installation Method via TFTP recovery
*A network switch is needed between the router and computer running TFTP server as mentioned by: bam80
*After flashing recovery image from TFTP, need to upgrade the firmware again from OpenWrt "Backup / Flash Firmware" page using sysupgrade image to get advanced features like OpenVPN, DNS-Over-Https.

Here are some screenshots of Modified Luci-Material GUI:

If you are a developer or advanced user you can always compile it from source.
This is the branch which I compiled from: openwrt-19.07

Here is the .config file used to compile it: .config
*Rename it to .config and put it under the path where you cloned the git repository.

Also here is the TP-Link branding GUI mod: gui_mod.zip
*There is a README.txt inside the zip file, please read it before any modification.

1 Like

Where is the source-code of that firmware?

2 Likes

This is the branch which I compiled from:

I mean, source code of your modifications

2 Likes

Here is the .config file used to compile it:
.config

*Rename it to .config and put it under the path where you cloned the git repository.

1 Like

Please provide the info in your original post then.

1 Like

Also here is the TP-Link branding GUI mod:
gui_mod.zip

*There is a README.txt inside the zip file, please read it before any modification.

OpenWrt forum only allows new users to add 2 maximum external links.

In the meantime you advanced to Trustlevel 1 (Basic User), which means you should be able to post more than 2 links.

3 Likes

I really like this firmware. But I am a layman about OpenWrt and I do not know how to enable or configure DNS over HTTPS (HTTPS DNS Proxy), have you activated or does anyone know how to configure? Many thanks if anyone can help me, and sorry for my bad English (I speak Portuguese).

1 Like

I did..:grinning:

Here are the steps for setting up DoH (DNS-over-HTTPS):

Step1:

Step2:

Step3:

At Last save configuration and apply it.

*Check if it is working or not @ dnsleaktest.com

1 Like

Dude thanks a lot. I downloaded the firmware more because of DoH and that GUI which is very friendly to lay people.

Do you know if this proxy can keep all DNS requests from Wi-Fi and Lan on port 443 and prevent any DNS leakage to the ISP through port 53?

I use SimpleDNSCrypt with Clouflare's DoH in Windows 10 and I do not know if with this option enabled (HTTPS DNS Proxy) I can stop using it and continue not leaking the DNS and let the Archer C6 V2 do DoH. If you can help me, thank you.

1 Like

I did the testing, it works! You can test it from dnsleaktest.com or using Wireshark.
Also you can test it from cloudflare-dns.com

1 Like

Works well, man. I already uninstalled SimpleDNSCrypt and left only the router doing the DoH, unfortunately the power of the 5 GHz only goes to 17 dBm and the speed to 300Mbps but hopefully in the future they will be able to use 23 dBm and 867 Mbps. Thank you again.

1 Like

Yup may be the developers of OpenWrt may update the drivers to enable and control the max capabilities of QCA9886 SoC in the future stable release of OpenWrt. ATH79 platform is still in development phase.

Although this 5GHz SoC is capable of 867mbps.
I never able to test it's 5GHz @867mbps speed, if you do let me know.

1 Like

I still do not have this speed, only 80MB, but it is good to have the maximum hardware available, since I do not want to change the router for a few years (in Brazil these Gigabit routers are moderately expensive) and I think in two years the Vivo Fibra will offer 300MB quietly here in my city.
Take a look at YouTube has a video titled TP-Link Archer C6 TIME 1Gbps WiFi Speedtest the maximum was 550MB.

1 Like

Yep, I've seen that video.

Ath79 is a quite mature platform. It's basically ar71xx but with DTS like most other maintained architectures. If your device is supported by ar71xx but not by ath79, all that means is it hasn't been ported yet (and someone needs to do so).

Don't be fooled by the marketing speak and the numbers. Advertised speeds are link speeds, never effective throughput. Since WiFi is half duplex, at best you'll get half of that, so 867/2/8 = +- 50 MBps under ideal circumstances: a two-stream 802.11ac client with excellent signal and no interference. That doesn't take into account protocol and encryption overhead either.

1 Like

Yep, there are processing overhead of packets through NAT. I've seen an youtube video that shows how much throughput it can give with a Gigabit internet connection with the stock firmware.
https://youtu.be/DkBNf341gvM

1 Like