OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Files and install instructions for HooToo HT-TM02 and HT-TM04(RT5350)

The content of this topic has been archived between 29 Mar 2018 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

I am having a problem that the wifi AP on my ht-tm02 is automatically turned off when the wifi client (for wan) loses connection.

I configured two wifi interfaces on my ht-tm02 to connect to my main router. (The use case is that when I travel, I can use ht-tm02 to connect to a wifi or wired internet at hotel or airport.) I set one interface in client mode to connect to WAN (through that main router), another interface  in AP mode to connect to my LAN. It worked well. I can access internet by connecting to the AP interface. But strangely when I turn off the wifi on the main router, both wifi interfaces on the ht-tm02 were disconnected. Because I also configured the only ethernet port on ht-tm02 to WAN (leave only wifi interface on LAN side), I cannot login into it. This makes it impossible to configure a new wifi internet.

Anything I need to add/change to the config files:

/etc/config/wireless
config wifi-device 'radio0'
        option type 'mac80211'
        option channel '11'
        option hwmode '11g'
        option path '10180000.wmac'
        option htmode 'HT20'
        option txpower '20'
        option country '00'

config wifi-iface
        option encryption 'psk2'
        option device 'radio0'
        option ssid 'bliss-mobile'
        option mode 'ap'
        option network 'lan'
        option 'private key'

config wifi-iface
        option ssid 'bliss_2'
        option encryption 'psk2'
        option device 'radio0'
        option mode 'sta'
        option bssid '86:12:5E:D7:26:5A'
        option key 'wifi internet key'
        option network 'wwan'

/etc/config/network
config interface 'loopback'
        option ifname 'lo'
        option proto 'static'
        option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
        option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config globals 'globals'
        option ula_prefix 'fd1a:7ebb:3965::/48'

config interface 'lan'
        option force_link '1'
        option macaddr 'mac address'
        option proto 'static'
        option netmask '255.255.255.0'
        option ip6assign '60'
        option ipaddr '10.10.10.254'
        option _orig_ifname 'eth0'
        option _orig_bridge 'false'

config switch
        option name 'switch0'
        option reset '1'
        option enable_vlan '0'

config interface 'wan'
        option proto 'dhcp'
        option ifname 'eth0'

config interface 'wwan'
        option proto 'dhcp'

There are a number of posts and approaches to this issue and I have tested many.  The two I like are below.

This one basically is the simplest which just removes the offending STA wifi-iface.
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 30#p278230
It depends on the device, but I have set this up to run on boot (create a script and point to it in local startup) or via a button (same script called by the reset button at some amount of press delay)

This is more sophisticated and allows the user to maintain a list of APs in a config file.  It chooses the best available AP automatically.
http://www.gl-inet.com/forums/topic/wif … post-11953
hostle19 is making some mods to this here https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 77#p311777 but I have not tested them yet.

The wiki is new, and I have not reviewed the offered solutions as yet.

Another approach is to use a second physical radio, which is more reliable, but potentially slower.   https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=58548

I have been concerned about setting the Ethernet to WAN as you have seen.  I now also have a GL.inet AR150 which has both WAN and LAN.

octav59 wrote:

@sleopantro
Here is my HT-TM04 PCB with Serial cable attached.
Black = GND
White = Rx
Red = Tx
Hope it helps.
If you don't get a valid answer from router, swap white and red wires.
http://i64.tinypic.com/2hn6dz9.jpg

I have been able to connect to the serial console however I can't select option 9. The options scroll so fast it selects option 3 by default no matter what I press. Below is the log

Board: Ralink APSoC DRAM:  32 MB

relocate_code Pointer at: 81fb4000

spi_wait_nsec: 42

spi device id: c2 20 17 c2 20 (2017c220)

find flash: MX25L6405D

raspi_read: from:30000 len:1000

.*** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment

============================================

Ralink UBoot Version: 3.6.0.0

--------------------------------------------

ASIC 5350_MP (Port5<->None)

DRAM_CONF_FROM: Boot-Strapping

DRAM_TYPE: SDRAM

DRAM_SIZE: 256 Mbits

DRAM_WIDTH: 16 bits

DRAM_TOTAL_WIDTH: 16 bits

TOTAL_MEMORY_SIZE: 32 MBytes

Flash component: SPI Flash

Date:Sep  1 2012  Time:08:34:08

============================================

icache: sets:256, ways:4, linesz:32 ,total:32768

dcache: sets:128, ways:4, linesz:32 ,total:16384

##### The CPU freq = 360 MHZ ####

estimate memory size =32 Mbytes

Please choose the operation:

1: Load system code to SDRAM via TFTP.

2: Load system code then write to Flash via TFTP.

3: Boot system code via Flash (default).

4: Entr boot command line interface.

7: Load Boot Loader code then write to Flash via Serial.

9: Load Boot Loader code then write to Flash via TFTP.

You choosed 3

3: System Boot system code via Flash.

## Booting image at bc050000 ...

raspi_read: from:50000 len:40

.   Image Name:   MIPS OpenWrt Linux-3.14.18

Created:      2014-10-03   0:31:52 UTC

Image Type:   MIPS Linux Kernel Image (lzma compressed)

Data Size:    1049649 Bytes =  1 MB

Load Address: 80000000

Entry Point:  80000000

raspi_read: from:50040 len:100431

.................   Verifying Checksum ... OK

Uncompressing Kernel Image ... OK

No initrd

## Transferring control to Linux (at address 80000000) ...

## Giving linux memsize in MB, 32

Starting kernel ...

I installed wingspinner's r44945-ws.bin on a ht-tm02. When I tried to add openvpn on the router, I got an error message that kmod-tun is missing. I checked the package list in r44945. It is not there. Do I need to rebuild the whole flash image and reflash the router to add kmod-tun? Is there any way to add it as a module or package through opkg?

You probably want to upgrade to CC 15.05. 

I do not recall what the package feeds are for that version, but I know that OpenVPN works in CC.  You will loose some of the config in the device as delivered by wingspinner.  relayd in particular, probably USB, but if you want a travel router with OpenVPN you probably don't need realyd. 

Make a copy of the package list and backup the config files for reference JIC.

Hello all. After a few months I come back playing with my openwrt TM02. I flashed it back to factory but it seems that my unit refuses to work and have a stable connection with it. I tried to upgrade firmware with latest release (fw-WiFiPort-HooToo-TM02-2.000.040) but I was again in trouble (not able to connect) So I reverted it to open wrt and sysupgraded to latest image (openwrt-15.05.1-ramips-rt305x-ht-tm02-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin).
I managed to to have my usb stick automount after adding the required packages:

opkg install kmod-usb-storage block-mount kmod-fs-vfatkmod-fs-ntfs kmod-fs-hfs kmod-nls-cp437 kmod-nls-iso8859-1

Please note that the language codes (kmod-nls-cp437 kmod-nls-iso8859-1) were NEEDED just to manually mount the stick
After that I was finally able to manually mount my usb.
I created my /etc/config/fstab and I issued /etc/init.d/fstab enable but I kept not having automount.
I don't know if this is correct, but /etc/init.d/fstab enable had created a symlink for fstab in /etc that pointed to /tmp/fstab
I decided to delete the symlink and created a new one

ln -s /etc/config/fstab /etc/fstab

rebooted and now my usb works fine at each reboot.
I am just curious, is it correct or did I mess something with changing the symlink?
For your reference this is my fstab right now, I got my uuid with block info.

config 'global'
        option  anon_swap       '0'
        option  anon_mount      '0'
        option  auto_swap       '1'
        option  auto_mount      '1'
        option  delay_root      '15'
        option  check_fs        '0'

config 'mount'
        option  target  '/mnt/sda'
        option  uuid    '2020-2020'
        option  enabled '1'
        option  device '/dev/sda'
        option fstype 'vfat'

I don't think dealy_root is actually used but I was just playing with all elements and now it works for me.

wrzhu wrote:

I installed wingspinner's r44945-ws.bin on a ht-tm02. When I tried to add openvpn on the router, I got an error message that kmod-tun is missing. I checked the package list in r44945. It is not there. Do I need to rebuild the whole flash image and reflash the router to add kmod-tun? Is there any way to add it as a module or package through opkg?

Wingspinner is outdated, you need to sysupgrade and then you can issue opkg from shell or with LUCI.

@liladude

Thanks so much for this info.
I was thinking of keeping one of my 3 nano TM02 units as factory FW, and was also going to update it to the latest .040 file, from the .026 on there now.

I'm glad to have seen your post here about it giving problems.
I've already put OpenWRT onto 2 other TM02 Nano's and have them working very well so far.

liladude wrote:

Hello all. After a few months I come back playing with my openwrt TM02. I flashed it back to factory but it seems that my unit refuses to work and have a stable connection with it. I tried to upgrade firmware with latest release (fw-WiFiPort-HooToo-TM02-2.000.040) but I was again in trouble (not able to connect) So I reverted it to open wrt and sysupgraded to latest image (openwrt-15.05.1-ramips-rt305x-ht-tm02-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin).
I managed to to have my usb stick automount after adding the required packages:

opkg install kmod-usb-storage block-mount kmod-fs-vfatkmod-fs-ntfs kmod-fs-hfs kmod-nls-cp437 kmod-nls-iso8859-1

Please note that the language codes (kmod-nls-cp437 kmod-nls-iso8859-1) were NEEDED just to manually mount the stick
After that I was finally able to manually mount my usb.
I created my /etc/config/fstab and I issued /etc/init.d/fstab enable but I kept not having automount.
I don't know if this is correct, but /etc/init.d/fstab enable had created a symlink for fstab in /etc that pointed to /tmp/fstab
I decided to delete the symlink and created a new one

ln -s /etc/config/fstab /etc/fstab

rebooted and now my usb works fine at each reboot.
I am just curious, is it correct or did I mess something with changing the symlink?
For your reference this is my fstab right now, I got my uuid with block info.

config 'global'
        option  anon_swap       '0'
        option  anon_mount      '0'
        option  auto_swap       '1'
        option  auto_mount      '1'
        option  delay_root      '15'
        option  check_fs        '0'

config 'mount'
        option  target  '/mnt/sda'
        option  uuid    '2020-2020'
        option  enabled '1'
        option  device '/dev/sda'
        option fstype 'vfat'

I don't think dealy_root is actually used but I was just playing with all elements and now it works for me.

(Last edited by HooTooJunkie on 24 Mar 2016, 18:32)

HooTooJunkie wrote:

@liladude

I was thinking of keeping one of my 3 nano TM02 units as factory FW, and was also going to update it to the latest .040 file, from the .026 on there now.

I've already put OpenWRT onto 2 other TM02 Nano's and have them working very well so far.
(This was also mentioned in that thread, of the functions for those Nano's)

Well, actually I'm not sure it's a firmware problem though. I originally joined this thread because I bricked the unit while upgrading to .026 to begin with, but the unit was somehow not working before my trial upgrade. Even the seller considered it defective and replaced it with a new unit letting me keep the defective one wink This is why I never got my bootloader updated through wingspinner original openwrt convertion.
My idea for the TM02 is a local dlna, I would not suggest it through openwrt if you still have the original firmware since the dlna works fine...

liladude wrote:
HooTooJunkie wrote:

@liladude

(This was also mentioned in that thread, of the functions for those Nano's)

Well, actually I'm not sure it's a firmware problem though. I originally joined this thread because I bricked the unit while upgrading to .026 to begin with, but the unit was somehow not working before my trial upgrade. Even the seller considered it defective and replaced it with a new unit letting me keep the defective one wink This is why I never got my bootloader updated through wingspinner original openwrt convertion.
My idea for the TM02 is a local dlna, I would not suggest it through openwrt if you still have the original firmware since the dlna works fine...

I'm guessing you still have OpenWRT on the replacement TM02 that the company sent you?

I read a post about the 15.05.1 having a fault that made it not connect properly.
The other poster on the site I mentioned I was on has the 15.05 ... Without the .1 at the end ... and his is working as it should with OpenWRT Chaos Calmer, ... we're just trying to figure out the VPN configs and firewall settings.

When the hardware works as it should, the OpenWRT functions well (for my usage anyway smile )
My other 2 are functioning as I wanted...and stay with a steady connection until actually disconnected.

There are many more options to use with it when OpenWRT is on it, than from the standard FW.
I was just curious what was changed from .026 to the latest .040
If it's not much better, it doesn't pay to install it for me, anyway.

Others have also said the OpenWRT DLNA and Samba was as good or better than the HooToo FW, but I still need to see.

If your hardware on one is giving intermittent connections with any FW you've tried, you'll not get any good idea of how OpenWRT is the better one, of the two FW.

The replacemente TM02 was given to a friend before I actually started playing with open wrt because I got a Ravpower WD02 and found it much more practical with mini sd and battery wink As other pointed out, architecture is almost the same and firmware too.
The funny thing about my "broken" unit is that it works perfectly with open wrt on it, but obviously you need to decide what to put on it.
Right now I have attached it to my router with the ethernet port so that I can find the dlna with my home wifi access point (a bit stronger than the tm02 one) so I am pretty happy that I got it working as intended, to make an external hd my media server. All I should say is that ntfs seems to work better with original firmware, but I still need to test with ntfs-3g
I don't know what should not connect on 15.05.1, so far so good, I reused old working config and everything worked fine. My only different setting was the symlink for fstab as I wrote in my previous post.
I am not really goot at vpn, but if package is not huge I can give it a try, not many memory left after minidlna, even if I added libffmpeg-mini instead of full big_smile

liladude wrote:

The replacemente TM02 was given to a friend before I actually started playing with open wrt because I got a Ravpower WD02 and found it much more practical with mini sd and battery wink As other pointed out, architecture is almost the same and firmware too.
The funny thing about my "broken" unit is that it works perfectly with open wrt on it, but obviously you need to decide what to put on it.
Right now I have attached it to my router with the ethernet port so that I can find the dlna with my home wifi access point (a bit stronger than the tm02 one) so I am pretty happy that I got it working as intended, to make an external hd my media server. All I should say is that ntfs seems to work better with original firmware, but I still need to test with ntfs-3g
I don't know what should not connect on 15.05.1, so far so good, I reused old working config and everything worked fine. My only different setting was the symlink for fstab as I wrote in my previous post.
I am not really goot at vpn, but if package is not huge I can give it a try, not many memory left after minidlna, even if I added libffmpeg-mini instead of full big_smile

I found the post other members were saying CC 15.05.1 had issues...
They called it a kernel hang (I don't know what that is)

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=63426

But they also said there are 2 versions released, ... of the 15.05.1 because (if I'm understanding correctly) when the servers were down, and not fully stable when coming back up  the BOT that updates mixed old kernels or other sections with the new, and screwed up the 15.05.1 on some revisions of it, then when the servers were steady, made another one with the same 15.05.1 numbering, but with a newer kernel. 

Maybe you're lucky and have the fixed version of .1 that's really the 15.05.2 smile

That RAVpower WD02 sounds nice... but I'm 'stuck' with trying all this with the TM02.
Others have posted it worked well with the MiniDLNA packages.

Yeah...the limit of all these to not be able to fit all you want onto the small FlashROM sad
I wish wimgspinner would have made the changes to the code to support a 16MB ROM-chip change.
That would have been my hardware upgrade to the TM02's big_smile

It's really amazing that your seemingly 'broken' TM02 using the HooToo original FW, ...
is working 'perfectly' with the OpenWRT on it.  That's really spooky..!

If I'm going to use the OpenWRT miniDLNA package, I'll see how it works with NTFS , Fat, and the Linux file systems before deciding if it's your 'broken' status of your old TM02 making the NTFS FS giving your incompatible issues, or something actually screwed with the OpenWRT.

The others saying they had no problems were actually before the Chaos Calmer 15.05 --- so you actually may have found another bad point of the 15.05.1 CC...with using NTFS on the DLNA. :wink:

As for the VPN Server / Client packages stuff smile
If you only have the one TM02, I'd feel bad if you erased what's working now, to try the VPN stuff, and you couldn't get it all back working for you if the VPN wasn't good for you.

But, my hope was to use one TM02 at home, setup as a VPN Server with USB DLNA, to also give me access to my private secure internet when I'm outside using the public WiFi Hotspots...
Accessed by the second TM02 I'd carry with me outside ...setup as the VPN Client, to make a private secure network Tunnel to connect my iPad 2 thru it, so I could use my iPad WiFi phone App without worrying I'd be hacked on the unsecured public WiFi HotSpots.

I don't even know if all this is possible, to actually be able to use the VPN package in this way, but we are trying it anyway. big_smile

I was running OpenVPN on a TM02 as a client for some time.    See my signature for the devices I use. 

I am sorry to say the TM02 works, but is resource bound with 10-15% free memory.  I was getting in the 2-4 range connecting to my home server with this when I can find a connection to support it.  My GLI-inet AR-150 with a similar speed cpu is almost twice as fast , but has twice the brains.  I run TAP to access my local resources.

I can not recommend it as a server at all, and getting ready to re-purpose it as a ShairPort device.

GLI has just released the most powerful travel router available MT7620 16/128mb 580 mhz cpu
http://www.gl-inet.com/forums/topic/gl- … blue-case/
Even with the GLI firmware, which is real nice for connecting to STAtions in the outside world, you still have more room than the HooToo.  This is actually a great reason to own this as Luci-Wifi is a real pain to access and configure, especially from a phone.  Related see this:  http://www.gl-inet.com/forums/topic/wif … saved-aps/

For reference, I find to stream media I need to get to something around 7Mpbs to not stutter (1080 you tube is a reference).  The HooToo was ok at lower res and it's fine for general file transfer and basic web surfing.

Hi RangerZ smile
Yes, the TM02 is beginning to look quite 'dated' with its attributes ...

I'm trying to make a 'bridge' to my own private internet to simply have the router I carry with me create a private Secure VPN HotSpot for my iPad 2 so it has secure connections not hack-able while using the public WiFi to access it all.

I'm also trying to create a firewall White-List in OpenWRT, so I can block all the hackers trying to scan my home router, and just let thru what is needed for my setup to operate.

I have an old WRT54G v8 and if I can't get another router that's actually better than that one, so it can be replaced, I'll need to connect the 300N between the two, via the Ethernet ports, so I can create a 'filter router' to act like an IP White-List, while also giving me the VPN Server function and secure internet access to my carried around travel router that would be the VPN Client.

So if the TM02 is good at being the VPN Client, that's good to hear.

Now I just need to see if I can get a new OpenWRT-based router as a replacement for my aging WRT54G v8 with 4 Ethernet ports and the modem Ethernet (hopefully all supporting 1Gbps ports) or the only 300 Mbps speed seen will just be with wireless, if the LAN ports just support 10/100 Mbps, so what's the sense of a 300 Mbps router speed?  smile

The GLI routers are nice, but I may as well try to replace my WRT54G if I can't put the 300N between both to do all I'm trying to make anyway.

I wish they made one with 1Gbps ports, and external antennas, and all the Ethernet ports needed to connect other stuff (replacing my old one), plus have OpenWRT on it with all the packages needed.

So, I guess I have no choice but to wait, and see what they make later-on.

RangerZ wrote:

I was running OpenVPN on a TM02 as a client for some time.    See my signature for the devices I use. 

I am sorry to say the TM02 works, but is resource bound with 10-15% free memory.  I was getting in the 2-4 range connecting to my home server with this when I can find a connection to support it.  My GLI-inet AR-150 with a similar speed cpu is almost twice as fast , but has twice the brains.  I run TAP to access my local resources.

I can not recommend it as a server at all, and getting ready to re-purpose it as a ShairPort device.

GLI has just released the most powerful travel router available MT7620 16/128mb 580 mhz cpu
http://www.gl-inet.com/forums/topic/gl- … blue-case/
Even with the GLI firmware, which is real nice for connecting to STAtions in the outside world, you still have more room than the HooToo.  This is actually a great reason to own this as Luci-Wifi is a real pain to access and configure, especially from a phone.  Related see this:  http://www.gl-inet.com/forums/topic/wif … saved-aps/

For reference, I find to stream media I need to get to something around 7Mpbs to not stutter (1080 you tube is a reference).  The HooToo was ok at lower res and it's fine for general file transfer and basic web surfing.

(Last edited by HooTooJunkie on 25 Mar 2016, 07:20)

Thanks for the infos on the 15.05.1. It looks like the kernel problem affect other devices, at least this is my thought, but maybe it could be safer to wait and see. I was resetting the unit so I thought I could give it a try.
My experience was that for mobile use models with a battery (like TM01, TM03 or rawpowers WD01, wd02 (discontinued) or newer wd03) are better, since you don't need a power source nearby. Sure you can connect the unit to the power pack of your mobile, but I decided it was easier to get both on the same thing, even if street price is higher (around 39 € or $, I know it should be cheaper in Europe, but distributor is USA based, so he must add import and vat, I guess).
This said, I was so surprised at the strange behaviour of my unit that I kept flashing and reflashing it with original firmware, but nothing change. I can see it working, I can access it once, see the menu on my browser, set it a bit, but then somehow it stop working, steady blue light, maybe green WAN connection if I had managet to set the bridge over my hotspot, but no longer accepting connections from my pc or my phones. It acted this way before my first firmware update trial, and kept on doing the same whenever I fit it with stock firmware.
On the other side, it works perfectly with openwrt and the minidlna server is seen by all my units, mobiles and so on on my home network, so I will keep on working with this settings. I am planning to disable the wifi, since I just need it wired to my router, and I will add some samba support.
About programming with the phone, I am old enough to prefer shell to luci, especially on a device where luci package install will fill the really little space inside the unit, so if you are on an android phone I would give "mobile shell" a try if you cannot access the unit through a pc. This saved me several times, especially when luci interface was not available while shell was, on the same ip wink

liladude wrote:

Thanks for the infos on the 15.05.1. It looks like the kernel problem affect other devices, at least this is my thought, but maybe it could be safer to wait and see. I was resetting the unit so I thought I could give it a try.
My experience was that for mobile use models with a battery (like TM01, TM03 or rawpowers WD01, wd02 (discontinued) or newer wd03) are better, since you don't need a power source nearby. Sure you can connect the unit to the power pack of your mobile, but I decided it was easier to get both on the same thing, even if street price is higher (around 39 € or $, I know it should be cheaper in Europe, but distributor is USA based, so he must add import and vat, I guess).

Usually I found you can save a few pounds or dollars as you did, with the included battery setup.
Plus the compactness of it, all-in-one.

I'm going to use a separate 2.4 Amp 5v Battery Bank from RAVPower (a HooToo company)
http://www.amazon.com/Portable-RAVPower … B00UV9OXNU
It got less costly in price over the months since introduced about 1.5 years ago.

If I use a USB flash drive with it, and not a power-hungry hard Drive, my battery will power it all for about 10 hours.

It's more convenience oriented not to need the separate charger, then the cables...etc... when getting it as you did, in all-one-piece design.  smile

liladude wrote:

This said, I was so surprised at the strange behaviour of my unit that I kept flashing and reflashing it with original firmware, but nothing change. I can see it working, I can access it once, see the menu on my browser, set it a bit, but then somehow it stop working, steady blue light, maybe green WAN connection if I had managed to set the bridge over my hotspot, but no longer accepting connections from my pc or my phones. It acted this way before my first firmware update trial, and kept on doing the same whenever I fit it with stock firmware.

That is quite spooky

liladude wrote:

On the other side, it works perfectly with openwrt and the minidlna server is seen by all my units, mobiles and so on on my home network, so I will keep on working with this settings. I am planning to disable the wifi, since I just need it wired to my router, and I will add some samba support.

Your success with the miniDLNA will help me on that end, after my success with the VPN, I hope. smile

liladude wrote:

About programming with the phone, I am old enough to prefer shell to luci, especially on a device where luci package install will fill the really little space inside the unit, so if you are on an android phone I would give "mobile shell" a try if you cannot access the unit through a pc. This saved me several times, especially when luci interface was not available while shell was, on the same ip wink

I think you may have misunderstood my iPad 'phone' statement.
I'm not going to try to program anything using my phone with the TM02...

... I was going to use it to create a bridged encrypted connection VPN to my private home internet, for my iPad to use for receiving / making phone calls over the internet with my VoIP phone App on my iPad, but also to browse the internet securely, from the public WiFi hotspot on my iPad too, thru the secure Tunnel both TM02 Nano's will create for it.

In other words... The two Nano's will allow me to open a separate tunnel that just my iPad will access and see, instead of the public hotspot being the main connection for me, to the internet.

The client VPN router I carry with me will connect to the public hotspot, and bridge it thru the encrypted VPN Tunnel it creates, and my iPad will connect to the RF Network the Client VPN nano opens on wifi.

I'm just wondering if I'll need to carry 2 Nano's to do that part of it.
One as a STAtion setup to bridge the public hotspot from WiFi - thru to it's Ethernet port, then a 2nd nano as an AP setup, to take the Ethernet from the first nano into the 2nd nano Ethernet that will create the new VPN RF secure private network hotspot that the iPad will connect to, on a separate RF channel, from the 1st nano.

This could sound complex where two separate radios are needed to do two separate aspects of the Client VPN application I want to make.
But luckily I already have the other two Nano's doing this exact thing, only without the VPN Tunnel function.  But if 1 nano could do this, with another nano home as the VPN server, that's even better. smile

The more I explain all this to others and myself, what I'm trying to do, it occurs to me the public hotspot bridging may actually need 2 separate nano's to be made into one full 'Client VPN' setup I use outside.
Then a 3rd router that will be the server VPN at home, connected to my own ISP.

You only need one Client device.  When you connect through Luci it will select the channel of the STAtion (WWAN) and automatically reconfigure the AP side (WLAN), but you will see a bounce in the WLAN connection.  This should not be a problem in most cases, but it depends on how your portable device is set in it's config (ie to search for a new connection automatically and what is available). 

Alternatively you can just add a USB radio.  I have posted on this, search EDIMAX 7811, but I have moved to a Buffalo device at this point which is faster.

As for your earlier comments about device speed.  The specs do no match actual.  The old linksys (have a few) actually ran at 54 most of the time, the new N devices seem to run at 72 most of the time, and sometimes 120.  If all your devices can run wide channel then maybe you will get faster performance, but the reality is your OpenVpn speed is going to be in the 5mbps range, so It does not matter much.  Sure at home you can run a lot faster, but what is your ISP speed?  Kind of why I am happy with my ALIX.  It's still faster than my ISP and with GB switches I still have a LAN that runs 650mbps wired.

As I said before, get a real router with as much horsepower as you can for home use.  If you can get a router for the DHCP and OpenVpn and a separate AP you can optimally locate.  Antennas are great for home, but a real pain on the road.  You can expect GLI to have an antenna version of their boxes in the future.

RangerZ wrote:

You only need one Client device.  When you connect through Luci it will select the channel of the STAtion (WWAN) and automatically reconfigure the AP side (WLAN), but you will see a bounce in the WLAN connection.  This should not be a problem in most cases, but it depends on how your portable device is set in it's config (ie to search for a new connection automatically and what is available).

Hmmm... Bounce....  You say?!? ... Nay..!  Thou dust not like bounce in my WLAN... big_smile
I actually think using two Nano's for a two radio setup will be the most stable, and fastest.
I'm going to scan the RF with LuCI, and enter the MAC and SSID of the public hotspot, thru the LuCI console.
...So it won't be scanning on its own for automatic connections.

RangerZ wrote:

Alternatively you can just add a USB radio.  I have posted on this, search EDIMAX 7811, but I have moved to a Buffalo device at this point which is faster.

I looked at that, but it just shows me my 2 radio method is easier and has other advantages, too.
Mostly of being able to add additional OpenWRT packages that fit ( or by swapping one for another when needed) to alter or add functionality of either of the 2 Nano's.

RangerZ wrote:

As for your earlier comments about device speed.  The specs do no match actual.

But isn't it true if the Ethernet port isn't higher rated than the router speed, you can't get port speed of even 75 to 120 Mbps , hardware port speed is also not matching true spec speeds.

So if the hardware ports are rated for only 100 Mbps highest, ... it may not even get to 72Mbps... and forget about 120Mbps.
But if the ports are rated at 1GHz...it's sure to handle 300 Mbps speed, cable to cable, with ease.

I don't know if it's usually faster or slower under WiFi, but I've found the speed gets slower further away from the source RF signal.

I've already seen it keep up with my Linksys WRT54G at 54Mbps, at close range between routers.

RangerZ wrote:

The old linksys (have a few) actually ran at 54 most of the time, the new N devices seem to run at 72 most of the time, and sometimes 120.  If all your devices can run wide channel then maybe you will get faster performance, but the reality is your OpenVpn speed is going to be in the 5mbps range, so It does not matter much.  Sure at home you can run a lot faster, but what is your ISP speed?  Kind of why I am happy with my ALIX.  It's still faster than my ISP and with GB switches I still have a LAN that runs 650mbps wired.

All the more reason for me to use 2 separate Nano's 
public HotSpot >---<{WiFi Radio1}> STAtion >---<{Ethernet}> AP w/ VPN >---<{WiFi Radio2}> encrypted VPN HotSpot

I don't expect to get maximum speed anyway...especially when on public WiFi..
But at least it will be fully secure all the way back to my home router, and onto my home internet.
If I can use my iPad on public WiFi, as securely as if I'm at my own house on my own router, I'll accept ANY speed I get connected at.
It's mainly for phone-calls, and surfing the web securely when I'm out, on a public hotspot, either at a Starbucks, or even an airport, or really anywhere a non-secured hotspot is the only way to connect to the internet, basically.

RangerZ wrote:

As I said before, get a real router with as much horsepower as you can for home use.  If you can get a router for the DHCP and OpenVpn and a separate AP you can optimally locate.  Antennas are great for home, but a real pain on the road.  You can expect GLI to have an antenna version of their boxes in the future.

Yes...I may need a new 300 Mbps (at least) full router with OpenWRT compatibility with 1Gbps Ethernet ports (may as well...I'll only live once smile ) and I'd want to move UP in techno, not stay as I have now at 54Mbps with 10/100 Mbps Ethernet ports.

Any ideas on any that aren't with lock'd-down Firmware?  For my new home router?
GLI has two nice FULL routers, but both don't have 1Gbps Ethernet.

For portable routers...
Antennas can also be removed when it 'gets in the way', but I'd always choose having the option FOR it.

With the 150 speed GLI you have now, what's the foot range of the RF signal, and what speeds do you get at it's max distance and close-up range to it. ?

Bounce - happens once for about 5 seconds when you reconfigure your radios.  It's no big deal really, but it you think it's worth carrying 2 devices and associated cables go for it.  It will take you longer to setup than to recover from the bounce.  Don't see this impacting your security model.

I do not think you will find any portable device with more than Fast Ethernet (ironic name for 10/100), yet alone one supported by OpenWrt.  I like both my Buffalo WZR-300GN-HP (old router and backup) and TP-Link WDR3600 (current AP)  Both have GB but they are relatively old (150N). My ALIX is 10/100, but almost 2x as fast for the OpenVPN as the Buffalo.  I agree you should buy what you can afford if you are upgrading https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start

Again, the real issue is your ISP speed. 

Sure at home you can run a lot faster, but what is your ISP speed?  Kind of why I am happy with my ALIX.  It's still faster than my ISP and with GB switches I still have a LAN that runs 650mbps wired.

Actually, you can not have your antennas both ways.  There is no switch.  Yes they come off, and you then have NO antenna.

on the MT02 with dual radios, connected on the WWAN side at ~20 feet @ 30/90 (RX/TX) 40Mhz (internal), 2 devices connected on the WLAN at under 5 feet at 6.5/39, 57/72  20MHZ (external)

on the AR150 with 1 radio, WWAN side at ~20 feet 43/150 (20/40Mhz), WLAN 108/57 (40mhz/20mhz).  Can not explain the dual frequencies.

Well, I think I'm going to pass on the vpn side for the moment, not many free hotspot in town ;P
As a side note, I checked  the kernel in 15.5.1 I sysupgrade and it is kernel 3.18.23 which is the one that is supposed to hang... I'm not keen to kernel update as long as it works for me, even if I still need to figure out ntfs automount at boot...

--- edit wink
ok... maybe reading the wiki could have helped LOL
https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/writable_ntfs.

(Last edited by liladude on 22 Mar 2016, 15:36)

Hello! I just installed openwrt on my hootoo and I was able to get it to be a wireless client. I hit a roadblock trying to get it to be a client to an android phone through usb tether. Has anyone on here had any luck?

mikekornikh wrote:

Hello! I just installed openwrt on my hootoo and I was able to get it to be a wireless client. I hit a roadblock trying to get it to be a client to an android phone through usb tether. Has anyone on here had any luck?

what do you mean by usb tether? can you explain your goal?

liladude wrote:
mikekornikh wrote:

what do you mean by usb tether? can you explain your goal?

The phone has an internet source like 4g and it gets passed to the hootoo. It also works if the phone is connected to another wifi source, say a 5ghz band that the hootoo doesn't support

Here's an article....
https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/usb.tethering

Here is another link, though it's IOS focused. 
http://www.gl-inet.com/forums/topic/tethering/

I gave up on this and just connect to my phone as I would any STAtion with Luci Wifi.  That assumes your phone supports "hot Spot".  No packages, no new config.