OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Files and install instructions for HooToo HT-TM02 and HT-TM04(RT5350)

The content of this topic has been archived between 29 Mar 2018 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

@liladude.  Not trying to totally discourage you on OpenVPN.  It works.  Just trying to set realistic expectations.  If you can be happy with 3-5, which I find is more than most hotels and airports, then doi it.  You can always parlay your experience, and openvpn, network and firewall config to another device.

Regarding NTFS and automount.  If one FS automounts, they all should.  I spent a fair amount of time on NTFS and based upon what others report (real poor performance) abandon it and use FAT32 and EXT4.  Also, I only get something around 10 for USB transfer speeds, so I find I load media from the PC as it so much faster.

Please talk more about what you are doing with minidlna.

RangerZ wrote:

Bounce - happens once for about 5 seconds when you reconfigure your radios.  It's no big deal really, but it you think it's worth carrying 2 devices and associated cables go for it.  It will take you longer to setup than to recover from the bounce.  Don't see this impacting your security model.

I was joking with my old English 'Bounce' reference smile just trying to 'inject' some humor into the thread.
As for carrying 2 devices... I've made a small enclosure, (two TM02 taken out of their own plastic) with it all wired-up, and the battery, all enclosed, so it's easy to carry, and set up.

RangerZ wrote:

I do not think you will find any portable device with more than Fast Ethernet (ironic name for 10/100), yet alone one supported by OpenWrt.  I like both my Buffalo WZR-300GN-HP (old router and backup) and TP-Link WDR3600 (current AP)  Both have GB but they are relatively old (150N). My ALIX is 10/100, but almost 2x as fast for the OpenVPN as the Buffalo.  I agree you should buy what you can afford if you are upgrading https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start

I think you misunderstood me... I'm only wanting GB Ethernet on my home router.

What about the ASUS RT-N16 ?  It has GB Ethernet, ... is at least 300Mbps speed, ...and isn't too old.
I think it's from 2012 ...or is that also considered old tech too?
I looked at the ALIX line...what Google showed anyway...and it's nice too, but more expensive

RangerZ wrote:

Again, the real issue is your ISP speed. 
Sure at home you can run a lot faster, but what is your ISP speed?  Kind of why I am happy with my ALIX.  It's still faster than my ISP and with GB switches I still have a LAN that runs 650mbps wired.

Yeah... This is true...my ISP is just 30Mbps Download, and 5Mbps Upload, so getting anything faster than 300Mbps router could be a waste of money.
Unless I decide to upgrade my ISP service with faster service...but that's unlikely for now.
Also, Especially that I don't currently, or plan to later-on...have any devices that use 5GHz radios.
So there's no sense in getting a fancy dual-band 2.4 / 5 GHz router smile

RangerZ wrote:

Actually, you can not have your antennas both ways.  There is no switch.  Yes they come off, and you then have NO antenna.

I think I'll keep my Nano's for the time being, as the portable outside devices, so my only concern now is replacing my aging Linksys WRT54G v8 - too bad OpenWRT couldn't be put on this v8 series..! sad

RangerZ wrote:

on the MT02 with dual radios, connected on the WWAN side at ~20 feet @ 30/90 (RX/TX) 40Mhz (internal), 2 devices connected on the WLAN at under 5 feet at 6.5/39, 57/72  20MHZ (external)

on the AR150 with 1 radio, WWAN side at ~20 feet 43/150 (20/40Mhz), WLAN 108/57 (40mhz/20mhz).  Can not explain the dual frequencies.

This frequency bandwidth option is nice, it gives higher thru-put.
Do all routers support the 40MHz bandwidth under OpenWRT?

(Last edited by HooTooJunkie on 23 Mar 2016, 03:15)

liladude wrote:

Well, I think I'm going to pass on the vpn side for the moment, not many free hotspot in town ;P
As a side note, I checked  the kernel in 15.5.1 I sysupgrade and it is kernel 3.18.23 which is the one that is supposed to hang... I'm not keen to kernel update as long as it works for me, even if I still need to figure out ntfs automount at boot...

--- edit wink
ok... maybe reading the wiki could have helped LOL
https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/writable_ntfs.

Yes, if not too many public hotspots are in your area, VPN is not as important, unless you're at a friends house and use their internet to log into your file-server... But it's not really that often that'll happen either...so I understand your choice. wink

Ahhh...so you did have the bad version of CC 15.05.1
I'm even more glad I mentioned it to you.
Monitor that post for the latest info about its fix.

That NTFS link you put is very useful ...thanks..!

HooTooJunkie wrote:

I've made a small enclosure, (two TM02 taken out of their own plastic) with it all wired-up, and the battery, all enclosed, so it's easy to carry, and set up.

Please post some pics!

HooTooJunkie wrote:

What about the ASUS RT-N16 ?  It has GB Ethernet is at least 300Mbps speed, and isn't too old...I think from 2012 ...or is that also considered old tech too?

I know someone who had it and liked it (on DD-WRT)

HooTooJunkie wrote:

Yeah... This is true...my ISP is just 30Mbps Download, and 5Mbps Upload, so getting anything faster than 300Mbps router could be a waste of money.  Unless I decide to upgrade my ISP service with faster service...but that's unlikely for now. Also, Especially that I don't currently, or plan to later-on...have any devices that use 5GHz radios.

Anything over 30 is in excess for your internet, but having a FAST LAN is nice, so if you have GB LAN and wired PCs, 300 could be considered slow.  My desktops run at 650 which is good for moving 7GB video files.  The reality is 300 is more than fine, if you actually can get it. (Lowest common denominator)

HooTooJunkie wrote:

Not sure,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11ac
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

Thanks for the links, I use tethering quite often but I use my phone as an hotspot for my devices...

HooTooJunkie wrote:

Yes, I managed to get my external ntfs disk mounted at each booting, write and read from it, but I am stuck on dlna from it.
I can serve the file through samba with no problem but I cannot get the minidlna build the catalogue for them.
The good side of it is that I will probably need to serve just a wii+wiiMC that can only access samba, so if I cannot find the reason behind this behaviour I will survive. Having a NAS was the main goal of my purchase, so I guess everything extra is ok.
As a side note, block info will never see my ntfs, but blkid has no problem at all in recognizing all the detail... I guess this is related to the coice of removing ntfs support from the new block mount + fstab system, it took me a while to realize that ALL the post and tutorials around are for the old hotplug and not for the new one... Yes, Italy sucks with free hotspots, I could use them at University but they are not really free, you need to login with university credentials to access them wink

I have a question for people more involved in power sources. Do you think I need a minimum amp to have the external USB powered disk working attached to my hootoo? I have few chargers with the right usb I can use for powering the unit, but their amperage is quite low, like 180 or 500 mA at the best. Right now it's working with  a battery pack that has 1000 mA output. (voltage is of course always 5V)

Regarding power, yes there is a minimum.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB  scroll down to the "Power section. 

That said (not an electrical engineer) that even though my little meter indicates that the USB port supplies the correct output, I have not been able to get my Seagate 2TB USB HD to run on my GL AR150 unless the AR-150 is connected to at least 2.1A.  It will light up with less, but not work.  Will not work connected to my desktop PC with a 750W PS.  Your results may vary.

Interesting note on blkid.  Need to learn more.

RangerZ wrote:
HooTooJunkie wrote:

What about the ASUS RT-N16 ?  It has GB Ethernet is at least 300Mbps speed, and isn't too old...I think from 2012 ...or is that also considered old tech too?

I know someone who had it and liked it (on DD-WRT)

Thanks, but now you've got me reconsidering ...
I'm now undecided and need to re-consider a faster AC unit instead smile

RangerZ wrote:
HooTooJunkie wrote:

Yeah... This is true...my ISP is just 30Mbps Download, and 5Mbps Upload, so getting anything faster than 300Mbps router could be a waste of money.  Unless I decide to upgrade my ISP service with faster service...but that's unlikely for now. Also, Especially that I don't currently, or plan to later-on...have any devices that use 5GHz radios.

Anything over 30 is in excess for your internet, but having a FAST LAN is nice, so if you have GB LAN and wired PCs, 300 could be considered slow.  My desktops run at 650 which is good for moving 7GB video files.  The reality is 300 is more than fine, if you actually can get it. (Lowest common denominator)

Yes, this is my reason to consider the faster AC units ... A faster LAN smile

RangerZ wrote:
HooTooJunkie wrote:

Not sure,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11ac
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

Wow, those AC units have 80 and 160 MHz bandwidth
I wonder if OpenWRT is supporting that now.

(Last edited by HooTooJunkie on 24 Mar 2016, 18:41)

liladude wrote:
HooTooJunkie wrote:

Yes, I managed to get my external ntfs disk mounted at each booting, write and read from it, but I am stuck on dlna from it.
I can serve the file through samba with no problem but I cannot get the minidlna build the catalogue for them.
The good side of it is that I will probably need to serve just a wii+wiiMC that can only access samba, so if I cannot find the reason behind this behaviour I will survive. Having a NAS was the main goal of my purchase, so I guess everything extra is ok.
As a side note, block info will never see my ntfs, but blkid has no problem at all in recognizing all the detail... I guess this is related to the coice of removing ntfs support from the new block mount + fstab system, it took me a while to realize that ALL the post and tutorials around are for the old hotplug and not for the new one... Yes, Italy sucks with free hotspots, I could use them at University but they are not really free, you need to login with university credentials to access them wink

I have a question for people more involved in power sources. Do you think I need a minimum amp to have the external USB powered disk working attached to my hootoo? I have few chargers with the right usb I can use for powering the unit, but their amperage is quite low, like 180 or 500 mA at the best. Right now it's working with  a battery pack that has 1000 mA output. (voltage is of course always 5V)

Hi liladude,
I can definitely say you need similar to a iPad or iPhone power charger to supply enough current to the HooToo and hard drive (at least 2.1 amps). If you use a flash drive instead, then the 1 amp supply will be enough.
I had my WD 1 TB 2.5 inch SATA II Drive connected to the TM02 with the USB to SATA adapter and hard drive, and my iPad 2 charger powering it all...and it worked very well.
This was with the stock factory HooToo firmware... I'm hoping to get the file server working as well with the OpenWRT Chaos Calmer 15.05 too. smile

Hey All...

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 63#p316563

A surprise for you
Yer new toy TM02 VPN final solution... smile   

I haven't tested it yet, but the OP said it worked for him.

(Last edited by HooTooJunkie on 25 Mar 2016, 06:38)

@HooTooJunkie, re: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 28#p316728
Not annoyed at all.   I remember the case comment and asking you to post pictures, but you were not forthcoming about the product so I did not pry.  I did not have anything to say re: #535.

RangerZ wrote:

@HooTooJunkie, re: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 28#p316728
Not annoyed at all.   I remember the case comment and asking you to post pictures, but you were not forthcoming about the product so I did not pry.  I did not have anything to say re: #535.

Well I'm happy I didn't upset you, I know how some people feel about others using this forums info, to make a product for sale...and not help-out the community the info came from.

I actually did respond, to your photos request, but I put I'd need to speak to you privately to show you any photos, or discuss the enclosure, or application.
When I saw you didn't respond to that, I simply edited the reply to remove it.

And I guess the longer time you didn't reply, while it was still posted, I may have jumped to the wrong conclusions. smile

Anyway...
What do you think of the basic idea?

(Last edited by HooTooJunkie on 26 Mar 2016, 12:57)

Hi all, I am reporting for my minidlna and external ntfs usb 1TB disk.
After checking info about the matter I decided it was easier to restart the minidlna from shell and see the error(s) right away... well, after issuing /etc/init.d/minidlna stop and start I only got a complain about two directories in my config file he could not access (they are on other disks I was trying to test) and suddenly the catalogue started to build.
Not sure if this is because I am on another disk, I will check later and compare.
I set the catalogue and logs inside the main disk, if I am not mistaken this will avoid the catalogue being wiped from temp each time I disconnect the TM02. Now I have both samba and minidlna and hopefully I will put everything at work soon!

edit:
I can access the minidlna from my smartphone just fine, but in windows 8 I see it as a resource and not as a multimedia server... It worked before so I must have screwed something ... not that I need to have the server working for my pc, but it's a matter of configuring properly big_smile

(Last edited by liladude on 26 Mar 2016, 09:13)

Many want a method to backup and restore an entire device, so I think its a good idea.  I am however not at all qualified to comment on feasibility or approach. 

I am more interested in a (IOS) phone based tool for managing connections to STAtions for one or more travel routers, (I have 3).   I find that using ANY travel router with my phone is challenging, as one needs to navigate a handful of pages and navigate small print to select a STAtion.  It should be 2-3 clicks and a password.  https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=59678

Hi all, reporting my media center with ntfs disk update.

• have realized that minidlna cannot start with the disk simply because the rc.local file is issued AFTER the boot, so I need to manually restart the server in order to get the access to my drive.

• I can have the list built on disk and this mean I have super fast access to them, no need to rebuild it unless I add more file and want it updated

• It can be easily accessed on most devices, but windows 8.1 seems to have problem with dlna AND samba on the same ip, I decided I would simply forget about them. Works fine on android devices through UPnPlay, mac with VLC, my bluray reader through its network share.

• I would have loved to turn off wifi since the TM02 is connected to my router through ethernet but somehow when I do that I loose the internet access for device (but luckily device was still accessible for shell and luci)

• I have accessed to my samba share through wiiMC but the files keeps on buffering. I'm talking about 50-100 MB and 5 to 12 minutes mp4... and have no problem at all while reading them from windows 8.1 through the net, not sure if it's a samba setting or a wii/wiiMC issue (no dlna client for wii)

As you may notice, lot of work AND reading to do!

edit: I have fixed the ntfs problem by disabling the minidlna start at startup and adding it after ntfs mount, see this post

(Last edited by liladude on 29 Mar 2016, 07:55)

Not sure if I should keen updating my previous post or if I can add a new one even if no other post was added after mine, I'm reporting again about minidnla. Wiki page is a bit silent on the matter, but upon further search on the wild web I discovered that minidlna on openwrt is lacking several standard command, like the -R option to get the files.db rebuilt.
The only way to rebuild it is to stop the service, delete or move  the file and start the service again. Inotify seems completely useless, so I disabled it.
Since it took my device about 45 minutes to rebuild the db of a bit more than 800 mp4 files I thought it could be lovely to perform a cron job that does it during the night or early in the morning.
My plan is to write this script

#! bin/sh
data='/bin/date +"%Y%m%d"'
/etc/init.d/minidlna stop
mv /mnt/usb/minidlna/files.db /mnt/usb/minidlna/files_'$data'.db
/etc/init.d/minidlna start

I am not testing it right away because.... well, I just rebuilt it lol and I am not sure on how scripts and crontab works on openwrt.
I also have a question I am ashamed to ask: I would like to exclude wifi on my device but I seem unable to properly configure network without it. Last time I tried I lost internet connection on my device.
My TM02 is connected through ethernet to may faithful USRobotics router, where I also have an edimax AP connected for my home wifi I believe in bridged mode (wired and wireless are all on 192.168.1.xxx).

This is my network file

config interface 'loopback'
    option ifname 'lo'
    option proto 'static'
    option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
    option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config globals 'globals'
    option ula_prefix 'fdbc:4bce:b06e::/48'

config interface 'lan'
    option ifname 'eth0'
    option force_link '1'
    option macaddr '00:1c:c2:19:8f:bd'
    option type 'bridge'
    option proto 'static'
    option netmask '255.255.255.0'
    option ip6assign '60'
    option ipaddr '192.168.1.55'
    option gateway '192.168.1.1'
    option dns '8.8.8.8 8.8.8.4'

config switch
    option name 'switch0'
    option reset '1'
    option enable_vlan '0'

config interface 'wwan'
    option proto 'dhcp'

config interface 'Bridge'
    option proto 'relay'
    option ipaddr '192.168.1.253'
    list network 'lan'
    list network 'wwan'

This was from my older configuration and works fine (except for the Bridge since I have not added the relay protocol), I can access my dlna server and samba files through the local wifi without needing to join openwrt wifi network which is less powerful than my actual AP.
I also have this wireless config  file

config wifi-device 'radio0'
    option type 'mac80211'
    option hwmode '11g'
    option path '10180000.wmac'
    option htmode 'HT20'
    option disabled '0'
    option channel '4'
    option txpower '20'
    option country 'IT'

config wifi-iface
    option network 'wwan'
    option ssid 'Edimax AP'
    option encryption 'psk'
    option device 'radio0'
    option mode 'sta'
    option bssid '00:1F:1F:CE:43:48'
    option key 'Edimax AP Password'

config wifi-iface
    option device 'radio0'
    option mode 'ap'
    option ssid 'OpenWrt'
    option network 'lan'
    option encryption 'psk-mixed'
    option key 'OpenWrt Password'

The problem is that I cannot stop the wifi without loosing internet connection on the device. I am stuck, any hint?

liladude wrote:

The only way to rebuild it is to stop the service, delete or move  the file and start the service again. Inotify seems completely useless, so I disabled it.
Since it took my device about 45 minutes to rebuild the db of a bit more than 800 mp4 files I thought it could be lovely to perform a cron job that does it during the night or early in the morning.

As the Wiki states, you can get much better performance by  building the minidlna database on a laptop/PC and not on the HooToo. The memory resources of the HooToo are too small to create a minidlna database from a significantly sized media library. However, the memory resources of the HooToo are sufficient to read the minidlna database. If you you use the method described in the Wiki, you can create an miniudlna database of over 11,000 media files on a laptop/PC within a matter of minutes which the HooToo can then read. The HooToo can not create a database that size since it will run out of RAM and be constantly swapping to disk if you have swap enabled.

If you must use Windows, you can install Cygwin and try the minidlna port here..

Good Luck!

@liladude.  To confirm, your router is 192.168.1.1 and your HooToo is 192.168.1.55.  You can connect to your Edimax AP and server media. 

You say can not turn off your wifi on the router.  How are you doing this?  Withe the Luci=>Networking=>Wifi=> Disabled\enable? 

You did not include the DHCP file, so have you disabled DHCP on the HooToo?

vernonjvs wrote:

The memory resources of the HooToo are too small to create a minidlna database from a significantly sized media library. However, the memory resources of the HooToo are sufficient to read the minidlna database.

Thanks, I had read the wiki and decided that as long as the router can actully buold the database, even if it can takes a couple of hours, I am not planning on working on cygwin again if I can avoid it. As long as they are hundreds and not thousands I should be safe wink

RangerZ wrote:

@liladude.  To confirm, your router is 192.168.1.1 and your HooToo is 192.168.1.55.  You can connect to your Edimax AP and server media.

Yes, that's it! I could access the server media using the standard wifi config all my devices had before setting the openwrt

RangerZ wrote:

You say can not turn off your wifi on the router.  How are you doing this?  Withe the Luci=>Networking=>Wifi=> Disabled\enable? 

You did not include the DHCP file, so have you disabled DHCP on the HooToo?

That's how I did it, and no, I did not disabled dhcp, even though I know that my router is the dhcp server for the lan, but maybe I should check that too!

Yes, especially if they are in default ranges.  They overlap.  Not sure if there is a real implication here or not.

wingspinner wrote:
Preluder wrote:

can someone help me with reverting the stock firmware back on the TM02?  I have all the files from the USB drive. Thanks

I've tried to write the instructions here twice and the forum keeps logging me before I finish and I loose all my work so I'll compose offline and then cut and past. In the meantime I'll leave you with some pointers though....

1. Connect to the serial console
2. Setup a TFTP server (lots of instructions around on how to do that)
3. Using uboot and your TFTP server, reprogram the "u-boot" partition with "Bootloader.bin"
4. Reboot into the original factory uboot and using that program the "ALL" partition with "ALL.bin".
5. Reboot - you are done

BTW, it can also be done from the ash command line but it's a bit more complicated. In short you'd need to do this:

1. Shutdown the squashFS and run out of a ramdisk
2. Using mtd write "Bootloader.bin" to the u-boot MTD partition
3. Concantenate Kernel_RootFS.bin + params.bin + user_backup.bin + user.bin + Rootfs.bin into one file using cat
4. Useing mtd write that file to the firmware MTD partition
5. Reboot

Ideally, someone could write a short script to do the above but my time is tight and I don't have time to write it or test it at the moment. I strongly recommend that if one just wants to experiment with OpenWRT that they use a platform that can easily be switched back and forth like RPi or beagle black (I prefer the latter).

Hope this helps

I would like to revert back to factory image, do I need to solder connections inside to use serial console or can I console to it via the ethernet port?

jrbarrett82 wrote:

I would like to revert back to factory image, do I need to solder connections inside to use serial console or can I console to it via the ethernet port?

You can do it through ethernet if you have never changed the original booloader and can still get the original files from the post (and the passwords). Not sure if you have changed the bootloader, I guess you need to read most of the post since the answer is there.
My TM02 refused to connect though, but it was its behaviour even before I started with openwrt.

liladude wrote:
jrbarrett82 wrote:

You can do it through ethernet if you have never changed the original booloader and can still get the original files from the post (and the passwords). Not sure if you have changed the bootloader, I guess you need to read most of the post since the answer is there.
My TM02 refused to connect though, but it was its behaviour even before I started with openwrt.

Gotcha, pretty sure I loaded the bootloader from this guide. Do you know the settings for Putty just to test?

jrbarrett82 wrote:

Gotcha, pretty sure I loaded the bootloader from this guide. Do you know the settings for Putty just to test?

This is what I posted about my putty interface looong time ago, if it can be of any help https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 76#p295776