OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Files and install instructions for HooToo HT-TM02 and HT-TM04(RT5350)

The content of this topic has been archived between 29 Mar 2018 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

@savvysps
I was using my Western Digital 2.5 inch 1TB SATA 2 drive with a SATA to USB3.0 adapter, and my iPad 2 charger to power all of it, and didn't need to worry about disconnecting the power (the Apple charger) when the hard drive was connected.

Then when re-powering it again, it all booted up without issues.

Just make sure there's no write activity going on with the drive, before you remove the power to the HooToo and it's connected drive.

It's similar with using a USB flash drive...the HooToo powers down or up with anything connected and let's it access the drive with no issues again.

You may find you'll need a bit more current (amps of power) for the USB connected hard drive than you did if you tried a flash drive on the USB port...and if it's a 3.5 inch drive you need to attach, that works too, you just need a power adapter that will support everything you want to connect to the HooToo nano if the power will be coming from the nano USB port, to power the device.

There is a limit though, because the HooToo can only support so much current running thru it to power it from its USB port.
In that case you'll need to use a separate power adapter for the higher current drive you attach to it, that is connected separately to that drive, like a DVD ROM drive, ...etc.

If you plan to just power down the hard drive, and keep the HooToo nano on, the same applies.
Make sure no write activity is going on before powering it down...but it's all do-able.

(Last edited by HooTooJunkie on 19 Oct 2015, 22:54)

I think it is dead this time.

I followed the instructions precisely and go to login but it would not accept any of the passwords mmDonuts and others suggested.

I then used wifi to connect and it launched IE and the HooToo wizard. A good start, but I could not login with "admin" and blank password. Soooo, tried for a long hold of the reset button and got nothing.

Opened up puTTY again but it showed no reaction to any key presses. I turned off power to the router and waited a minute. Turned it on and the blue LED flashed briefly and that's all she wrote. Nothing in puTTY.

I think it is a gonner.

@savvysps @HooTooJunkie - The native Android video apps on Samsung (Video) and Toshiba (Media Player) work fine with a factory TM03 DLNA. The movies are ripped DVDs to MP4 (H.264), not HD, and I don't know what you're trying.  As a test I had an Android phone, a tablet, a Windows phone, and a PC (VLC) streaming different movies from the TM03 at the same time without problems.  For the iPhone I liked Infuse and VidOn players, the second was better at finding the HooToo DLNA.

@HooTooBeatMe - How is your serial connected, is it soldered? I'm surprised that you're not getting any output even though you were able to get the Admin Web page to load. 

You might have tried this already but I'll suggest it anyway: Unplug serial and power up the router to see how far it goes.  Then plug in serial to see if you have a console.  If you do then use the command line to reboot the router instead of power plug.  Mine did not like powering up with the serial connected, I had to connect serial after the router had started to boot.

You can try to see if tftp is still working. The HooToo bootloader uses different IPs than what OpenWRT uses for tftp.  The rest of the process is still the same.

ipaddr=10.10.10.128
serverip=10.10.10.254

Sorry to hear it might be bricked.  Was this the router that was flaky from the start?

(Last edited by mmmdonuts on 20 Oct 2015, 00:36)

@mmmdonuts

Thanks for that info, regarding apps on the iPad. (iOS devices)
I'll look at your suggested VidOn Players App on Apples AppStore.
I hope there's a free lite version just to see if basic .MOV HighRes movies play smoothly on my iPad, because I've found some didn't even support that well enough, and sputtered when playing a 1280x720 .MOV movie file.

Does it also support file transfer, or is another App needed for that too.

I found many Video players didn't support file transfer, and file transfer Apps didn't support Video file playing... smile

I tried VLC on my iPad and it didn't work well...maybe on the Windows OS it's better.

HooToo TripMate Plus first attempt played many more file types but just had no codec support for Dolby or other fancy audio, but then HooToo even removed the ability to play the once playable video files with their updates.

(Last edited by HooTooJunkie on 20 Oct 2015, 00:51)

Those apps are media only, no file sharing.  I doubt there is much out there in the all-in-one category that's any good.  VLC is limited on mobile devices and pretty wonky on the PC.  I use it to test things quickly when I need to.

@HooTooBeatMe,
One more thing, can you tell if the router gets an IP on the ethernet port?  By default the HooToo grabs a DHCP address and if yours does you should be able to telnet into the router, no ssh.

@mmmdonuts

I searched Infuse and VidOn at the Apple AppStore, and saw I've already tried these App last year, (it's in my iCloud) and they didn't work well for my needs.  Unless they've made a recent update that works better now, I'll need to check later.

(Last edited by HooTooJunkie on 21 Oct 2015, 01:46)

@mmmdonuts

They did have updates, but they still don't play well for the video files I needed to use.

Oh well...I guess I still need to keep looking.  smile

I didn't want to pay $10 for the Pro version of Infuse 3 when I saw other video files giving playback problems with the Free HD version.
I'm sure the AC3 audio codec would have worked with the pro version, but couldn't take the chance the videos giving video playback problems with the free version would still be giving problems with the pro one.

VidOn also had problems playing back the simple HighRes .MOV file starting and stopping from time to time, and didn't play much else well, or not at all, too.
Same for the Infuse 3 app.
sad

(Last edited by HooTooJunkie on 24 Oct 2015, 13:02)

mmmdonuts wrote:

@HooTooBeatMe - How is your serial connected, is it soldered? I'm surprised that you're not getting any output even though you were able to get the Admin Web page to load.

Thanks mmm, but it flashes the blue LED for probably a tenth of a second and that's it. Looks to me like the boot loader was overwritten. The Serial connection is solid, I have the PCB taped down to a bread board and then the three contacts with sharp points, taped down on top of the pads.

I tied wriggling them around in case it was poor contact but I can see scratches I am making on the pads so I know I am making contact.

I too had to do a little dance to get t tot start up, but the dance no longer works either. Just that tiny flash and nothing.

I have a small USB hub with individual power switches and here was my "dance."
Turn off both TM02 and Serial.
Turn on Serial, lunch puTTy and Connect.
Turn on TM02. - Nothing happens.
Turn off Serial and puTTY tosses a fault.
Close puTTY.
Turn off TM02
Turn on Serial, launch puTTY and Connect.
Turn on TM02 and it was away fine.

It looks worse than it actually was t do, I would run through the sequence in about three seconds and the TM02 would always fail in the first go around. But, moot now.

I just tried both of your other suggestions but nothing. I ran puTTY in Telnet with both of the IPs you suggested but both came back "Timed out" I am guessing that means no one home.

I did notice the yellow LED does an even quicker flash at turn on. But I think this is for the trash. I knew the risks for over-writing the boot loader, but just could not leave it alone. smile This was the "good" one of the two at the start.

HooTooBeatMe wrote:
mmmdonuts wrote:

Thanks mmm, but it flashes the blue LED for probably a tenth of a second and that's it. Looks to me like the boot loader was overwritten. The Serial connection is solid, I have the PCB taped down to a bread board and then the three contacts with sharp points, taped down on top of the pads.

I tied wriggling them around in case it was poor contact but I can see scratches I am making on the pads so I know I am making contact.

I too had to do a little dance to get t tot start up, but the dance no longer works either. Just that tiny flash and nothing.

I have a small USB hub with individual power switches and here was my "dance."
Turn off both TM02 and Serial.
Turn on Serial, lunch puTTy and Connect.
Turn on TM02. - Nothing happens.
Turn off Serial and puTTY tosses a fault.
Close puTTY.
Turn off TM02
Turn on Serial, launch puTTY and Connect.
Turn on TM02 and it was away fine.

It looks worse than it actually was t do, I would run through the sequence in about three seconds and the TM02 would always fail in the first go around. But, moot now.

I just tried both of your other suggestions but nothing. I ran puTTY in Telnet with both of the IPs you suggested but both came back "Timed out" I am guessing that means no one home.

I did notice the yellow LED does an even quicker flash at turn on. But I think this is for the trash. I knew the risks for over-writing the boot loader, but just could not leave it alone. smile This was the "good" one of the two at the start.

The goal was to overwrite the OpenWRT bootloader with the one from HooToo, that part wasn't an accident.  That's the way to get back to original factory firmware.  I see above that you are starting serial 1st then TM02 but I don't see where you start TM02 1st then serial, which is the order I mentioned in my previous post.

If it's dead then there's not much you can do with it unless you know someone with a chip programmer who can reload the flash.

(Last edited by mmmdonuts on 20 Oct 2015, 21:21)

mmmdonuts wrote:

The goal was to overwrite the OpenWRT bootloader with the one from HooToo

I understood that but something didn't get written correctly - OR - what did get written was not correct for this set up.

mmmdonuts wrote:

I see above that you are starting serial 1st then TM02 but I don't see where you start TM02 1st then serial, which is the order I mentioned in my previous post.

I had done as you suggested to see it there was any life left. BUT, that list of mine was to describe the process I had to go through BEFORE the death of the boot loader otherwise the TM02 would not start.

I may buy a programmer ($35) and direct chip clip ($9) wingspinner mentioned in his first post and copy the good one and write it all direct to the dead'n, just for fun.

As I said, I accepted the risks before running your suggestion and .bin files that I KNEW would overwrite the working boot loader. I am not blaming you or anyone else. It is ONLY a 20-buck toy.

I just mention the pitfalls in case someone else considers trying the same process, they need to know that risk of  **really** bricking it dead'r than a skunk is high. It could be as little as one Bit getting toggled High/Low during the transfer that makes it totally unusable.

But for now it is back to the Rosewill RNX to see if I can get it going. There seems to be no shortage of bricked routers out there. smile

Hi there,
excuse me for my english I'm Italian... :S
I need to use this router to turn wired network to wireless via Ethernet cable. I need to connect a Mixer Audio Mackie DL806 to a router via Ethernet cable and then create a "wifi network" of the DL806. So I can connect my tablet to the network wifi of the mixer, and manage the mixer by tablet not physically wired to the mixer. Is it possible to do? I have asked some info to HooToo brand and he told me that this router has only WAN port. Is there a way to change a WAN port to LAN port?

If you follow the process to load DD-WRT by wingspinner, and then load the CC 15.05 final release your device should have the single Ethernet port configured as a LAN side port for your mixer.    You can connect your tablet to the router via wireless.  It will be configured as a router.  You can connect it to a LAN, but if will be isolated from that LAN, but I suspect that you want a private LAN anyway with no WAN.

Having done sound, the Mackie looks very interesting device and nice application.  The TM02 requires a 5 volt source, but if you get the battery unit TM01 or TM04 you probably can run for an evening with no power.

There is another thread for the new units, but no functional image as yet.
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 90#p294690

Thank you RangerZ!!! I managed to run the router! YEAH! Rock and Roll!

Sounds Good!! (pun intended)

Hi guys...

Here's my update...

The Hootoo TM02 is working fine generally for me... well when it works!

The thing is that it still hangs every now an then... totally random nature and often when using a app on a mobile device (have tried different apps but its the same). I think it is the flaky nature of the tripmate software more than anything else. Only option when it hangs is to manually power off and back on at the wall.

Overall the thing works fine and I have tried a number of different things using windows, ios and andriod. It also seems to read my external 2tb hard drive with no issues.

So only disappointment so far is the random hangs. Its perfectly usable otherwise and once you start streaming anything it keeps on going ok.

All this is with the .022 version of the firmware. Think I'll go back to .018 and see if things improve - I personally doubt it will!

Paddling into uncharted waters here and nothing to lose.

I have a totally dead TM02 and just received the EZP-2010 Programmer and chip-clip-on thingy wingspinner mentioned in the first page of this thread.

I am wondering if I can just load the OW file straight into the programmer software and burn it to the chip or do I need to strip something out of the start of the file or massage it in some way.

I also have a working TM02 with OW, so another option might be use the programmer to read that chip and burn the dead'n.

Thoughts - help needed. smile

Yeah, I know spending 40-bucks to fix a 20-buck router, but it is a learning curve thing as I have a bunch of bricked routers of various brands and models. They are already bricked so anything to move forward is good. Yes?

HooTooBeatMe wrote:

Paddling into uncharted waters here and nothing to lose.

I have a totally dead TM02 and just received the EZP-2010 Programmer and chip-clip-on thingy wingspinner mentioned in the first page of this thread.

I am wondering if I can just load the OW file straight into the programmer software and burn it to the chip or do I need to strip something out of the start of the file or massage it in some way.

I also have a working TM02 with OW, so another option might be use the programmer to read that chip and burn the dead'n.

Thoughts - help needed. smile

Yeah, I know spending 40-bucks to fix a 20-buck router, but it is a learning curve thing as I have a bunch of bricked routers of various brands and models. They are already bricked so anything to move forward is good. Yes?

Another person in this thread did the same not too long ago.

Now, take this for what it's worth  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  he used the files I gave him to do it.  The same files I shared and AFAIK he just wrote the "all".bin mtd image to the flash using the programmer.  So either of the files should work, OW or HooToo.  Those files were raw dumps of the mtd partitions.

(Last edited by mmmdonuts on 24 Oct 2015, 00:00)

I have installed everything as per the first post and the TM02 is now wirelessly connected to my network.

I can access the root directly by creating a network share and then navigating to it via the IP address on my PC, however I cannot seem to access any USB drives.  This is what it says in the logs:

Mon Oct 26 01:29:30 2015 kern.info kernel: [  319.100000] usb 1-1: USB disconnect, device number 2
Mon Oct 26 01:29:32 2015 kern.info kernel: [  321.210000] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 3 using ehci-platform
Mon Oct 26 01:29:32 2015 kern.debug kernel: [  321.360000] usb 1-1: no of_node; not parsing pinctrl DT
Mon Oct 26 01:29:32 2015 kern.debug kernel: [  321.360000] usb-storage 1-1:1.0: no of_node; not parsing pinctrl DT
Mon Oct 26 01:29:32 2015 kern.info kernel: [  321.360000] usb-storage 1-1:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
Mon Oct 26 01:29:32 2015 kern.info kernel: [  321.400000] scsi host1: usb-storage 1-1:1.0
Mon Oct 26 01:29:33 2015 kern.notice kernel: [  322.410000] scsi 1:0:0:0: Direct-Access     SanDisk  Ultra            1.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 6
Mon Oct 26 01:29:33 2015 kern.debug kernel: [  322.430000] sd 1:0:0:0: no of_node; not parsing pinctrl DT
Mon Oct 26 01:29:33 2015 kern.notice kernel: [  322.430000] sd 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
Mon Oct 26 01:29:33 2015 kern.notice kernel: [  322.440000] sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] 121438208 512-byte logical blocks: (62.1 GB/57.9 GiB)
Mon Oct 26 01:29:33 2015 kern.notice kernel: [  322.460000] sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
Mon Oct 26 01:29:33 2015 kern.debug kernel: [  322.460000] sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 43 00 00 00
Mon Oct 26 01:29:33 2015 kern.notice kernel: [  322.470000] sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: disabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
Mon Oct 26 01:29:33 2015 kern.info kernel: [  322.520000]  sda: sda1
Mon Oct 26 01:29:33 2015 kern.notice kernel: [  322.550000] sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk

Any ideas?

Sorry I was not sure where to post this since this was the thread for the TM04.
I am running stock on a TM04 now and use it in Hilton Hotel chains to share my Chromecast and phone out.

Will the OpenWRT firmware still allow me to utilize the Hotel hotspots like I was able to with the stock firmware?

The reason I am looking into this is I would like to use the ethernet port as a router port and not as a WAN port for my laptop as the built-in wireless on my laptop causes the laptop to crash (separate issues) and I understood that the OpenWRT will let me do this.

Thank you,
Nathan

ntruhan wrote:

Sorry I was not sure where to post this since this was the thread for the TM04.
I am running stock on a TM04 now and use it in Hilton Hotel chains to share my Chromecast and phone out.

Will the OpenWRT firmware still allow me to utilize the Hotel hotspots like I was able to with the stock firmware?

The reason I am looking into this is I would like to use the ethernet port as a router port and not as a WAN port for my laptop as the built-in wireless on my laptop causes the laptop to crash (separate issues) and I understood that the OpenWRT will let me do this.

Thank you,
Nathan

Hello,
I DID the upgrade to OpenWRT; and it worked fine, UNTIL I tried to add the block-mount package to allow me to mount my USB thumb drive on the router.  I saw the mount points didn't show up in LuCI so instructions said to install a set of packages which the only one not installed was block-mount.   

When I tried to install this, it failed with this file has been obseleted. please call "/sbin/block mount" directly.  and the resolution to that was upgrading libubox.....  This is where it started failing.

As soon as I upgraded libubox, uhttpd failed, so I upgraded uhttpd as well and rebooted and lost my connection to the router.

It no longer comes up with any IP or DHCP.  I am afraid I bricked it.  When it does come on, all I see is the LAN light flashing, it does 3 blinks, pauses, 2 blinks, pauses, 3 blinks, etc... every once in a while the Internet and LAN lights come on SOLID then they all turn off and the patern restarts again.

Is there a way to recover from this?  I tried their 10 second reset, I also tried a standard 30/30/30 and still no result and I don't see an IP appearing to do TFTP either.

Thank you.

As far as I know the pin reset should restore the router to the default OpenWRT image and remove the packages you installed.  Your description of the LED pattern sounds like the router is crashing on boot and stuck in a boot-crash loop.  If it won't boot all the way then I don't know if pin reset will even take effect, someone else might know. 

There is a lot of information in this thread about using tftp to recover the HooToo routers.  Read through it and decide if you're willing to try it.  But before you do you can wait and see if others have any input on this.  Some of these routers are getting harder to find and replace.

Nathan
You will need to read the thread carefully from the start, but I do not believe that the functionality of the reset has ever been validate to work, at least for CC versions. 

Regarding USB and block-mount, your description of what you did is vague.  Block-mount works, even with the error message,  but does not create the fstab file that it needs to run.  You can find fstab code by searching the wiki or threads.

Then there is a selection of packages that you need to install including USB core files, Samba, luci-samba and kmod-fs.ext (a file system which really should be either ext or dos).  Again there are some wiki articles, though (IMHO)they are not complete.  You need to read a few of them.

I am traveling and do not have the ability to provide better ingo for at least a couple of days.

Obviously you need to get the device to boot first.