OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Files and install instructions for HooToo HT-TM02 and HT-TM04(RT5350)

The content of this topic has been archived between 29 Mar 2018 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Oh, and another thing:  How long does it take from the time you pick the .bin file to upload until you get a login prompt?

Hello. Struggling Computer Information Systems Student here. I'm still new to configuring routers and using OpenWrt. I setup my HooToo tm02 router with the firmware but now I can't access my attatched USB drive over the wireless network. I want to have it setup like a NAS so that i can access the drive from any device on the router's network but there doesn't seem to be any option for sharing it. If anyone has a remedy I'd appreciate it.

HooTooBeatMe wrote:

Menu option 2 installs then crashes right at the end with this...

## Booting image at bc050000 ...
raspi_read: from:50000 len:40
.   Image Name:   Linux Kernel Image
   Created:      2013-11-01   5:37:54 UTC
   Image Type:   MIPS Linux Kernel Image (lzma compressed)
   Data Size:    1442281 Bytes =  1.4 MB
   Load Address: 80000000
   Entry Point:  80441000
raspi_read: from:50040 len:1601e9
.......................   Verifying Checksum ... OK
   Uncompressing Kernel Image ... LZMA ERROR 1 - must RESET board to recover

Then it reboots and drops back to the UBoot menu.

I hooked up to the serial console on the TM02 and learned a few things.

1. The TM02 HooToo factory image I uploaded had not quite been "reset to default" as I thought.  As a result it still has a password for the "admin" user, it is "imm106".  The "root" password is still "20080826" (default HooToo).  An alternative is to load the firmware then do a pin reset after the router reboots.  Hold the button for at least 10 seconds, let it reboot and it will restore the "admin" password to none.

2. I can load HooToo(mtd4-mtd8) and OpenWRT(mtd3) firmware with the original u-boot but can't load HooToo firmware with the OpenWRT u-boot.  It could be my images or something else but it just doesn't work for me.  I too get the LZMA ERROR and it goes into a boot loop.

3. Doing full FLASH updates with the "all".bin images from HooToo or OpenWRT works quite well though I only found this option with the HooToo u-boot menu. So to go from OpenWRT back to HooToo via console the factory bootloader had to be loaded first. This was very handy to test both of the backups I uploaded and to go back and forth between HooToo and OpenWRT.

(Last edited by mmmdonuts on 17 Oct 2015, 21:12)

Hi mmmDonuts, had stuff to do yesterday so had no play time. Those logins and passwords both worked, but there  is definitely something amiss with the "firmware.bin" file when writing it to Flash memory.

What's involved for a full FLASH? I am about ready to give up with this as I can reload OpenWrt fine. So might just leave ell enough alone, since it is only a play-thing for me as I have other routers for the real stuff.

But, if a full flash is not too risky and not too confusing, I may give it a try.

Thanks for the help to get them both working , albeit with OpenWrt, not a big fan, but they are working routers - now. smile

Hi all... very new to this forum and my Tripmate Nano (TM02).. wonder if all you knowledgeable people can help me out in some way.

My main purpose to use this as a simple media sharing device/NAS for my home network.

I am having issues trying to set this up with my home network. My home network is a very simple setup wherein I have got a standard ADSL broadband router (from my broadband provider Sky) and all existing devices (laptops, tablets, phones, smart TV, etc) connect to this one router via ethernet cables or using wifi. This all has been working fine without an issues.

Now with the Tripmate Nano, I want to connect this via a ethernet cable to my same existing router such that it can simply be part of my existing network. The idea is to use the Tripmate Nano's media sharing/NAS/DLNA capabilities for the devices on my existing network. I don't intend to use tripmate's own wifi when I am at home.

The problem I am having is that although the tripmate is easily getting the internet connection from my router (via ethernet), the existing devices on my network are not able to see the dlna/samba services provied by tripmate. I have tried and they are not even able to ping the tripmate from my existing network (it is clearly visible in the network as TM02 but doesn't seem to be broadcasting any services). The DLNA/Samba services work fine when directly connected to the tripmate's own wifi network but doesn't seem to work for devices connected to my existing network (all on the same network).

I have tried configuring the Tripmate in a number of different ways but not able to get around this issue. I have seen a couple of videos on youtube where a person was easily able to access the tripmate device and all its services (think that was TM-03 though) via devices on his own network as well as the ones on tripmate's network. So, I know its definitely doable.

I know this is a OpenWRT forum but I would still like to know if the Tripmate can do what I want out of the box without putting OpenWrt on it (which would be my preffered option). Else if not possible, will this OpenWrt solve this for me.

I would appreciate your help and support to help me resolve this issue. Any config suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Savvy, out of the box the TM02 will do exactly what you want as I had it set up and doing all of that and more. That's why I wanted to return it to stock after putting OpenWrt (OW) on it. I figured OW would just be a better option and all would work like the factory, but not so.

Using OW is really a mess trying to get the USB-drive to work on the TM02. Some have claimed to do it, I was never able to.

Given that is so difficult (I have given up) to revert OW back to factory, I would be spending time on networking newsgroups to sort out the connection issues with the stock firmware. It will do all you need, but way too much stuff for outlining here.

(Last edited by HooTooBeatMe on 18 Oct 2015, 16:23)

@HooTooBeatMe,
I've updated the HooToo image zip file on my Google share to a clean factory-reset version and more info in the readme.txt.

Getting back to factory from OpenWRT via serial console is easy and repeatable.

Boot/reboot while connected to the console and select option 9 and enter your own IP addrs and factory bootloader name.

9: System Load Boot Loader then write to Flash via TFTP.
  Warning!! Erase Boot Loader in Flash then burn new one. Are you sure?(Y/N)
  Please Input new ones /or Ctrl-C to discard
        Input device IP (10.10.10.123) ==:172.22.10.160
        Input server IP (10.10.10.3) ==:172.22.10.100
        Input Uboot filename () ==:mtd1_Bootloader.bin

The router will load the bootloader and reboot again into OpenWRT.

The factory bootloader prompts for an 'i' to enter the menu and it's quick, only a couple of seconds to catch it.  If you miss it reboot again from the OpenWRT command line: 'reboot'.  The HooToo command line reboot is: 'shutdown r'.

Once you get the menu select 8.

|-------------------------------|
|         IOVST MAIN MENU       |
| 6 Test USB                    |
| 8 Test ethernet               |
| B Boot the Kernel             |
| E Test PIO                    |
| I Test system params          |
| U SPIFlash Upgrade            |
| T SMT test program            |
| X Update the license          |
| R Reboot                      |
| Z Enter Command Line Interface|
Please input test item:

Select 1 to set IP address.  After entering IP select 3 from the same menu for TFTP server IP.

|      ETHERNET TEST MENU       |
|  0 Show IP and MAC Address    |
|  1 Set IP Address             |
|  2 Set Wireless MAC Address   |
|  3 Set Server IP              |
|  4 Ping                       |
|  a eth init                   |
|  b eth stop                   |
|  s Save Flash                 |
|  q Quit                       |
Please input test item:

After 1:
Input new IP  :172.22.10.160
Input new MASK  :255.255.255.0
Input new Gateway:

After 3:
Input new SERVER  :172.22.10.100

'q' back to the previous menu, then select 'u' to update FLASH.

|         IOVST MAIN MENU       |
| 6 Test USB                    |
| 8 Test ethernet               |
| B Boot the Kernel             |
| E Test PIO                    |
| I Test system params          |
| U SPIFlash Upgrade            |
| T SMT test program            |
| X Update the license          |
| R Reboot                      |
| Z Enter Command Line Interface|
Please input test item:

Select 'a' to upgrade all flash.

|    Flush UPGRADE TEST MENU    |
|  0 Upgrade Bootloader         |
|  1 Upgrade Config             |
|  2 Upgrade Factory            |
|  3 Upgrade Kernel             |
|  4 Upgrade Rootfs             |
|  5 Resume Upgrade             |
|  a Upgrade All Flash          |
|  e Erase Config partition     |
|  f Erase Factory partition    |
|  g Erase User partition       |
|  q Quit                       |
Please input test item:

Enter the factory full flash name from the zip file, make sure it's copied to the tftp server root.

Input whole filename:mtd0_ALL.bin

'q' back to previous menu and select 'r' to reboot and that's it.

@HootooBeatMe

Many thanks for your reply - it gives me some motivation to know I am not playing in the dark!

I have come to the conclusion that it is something to do with the nature of the WAN port on the Tripmate. It is properly able to connect to my existing network and fetch internet etc without any issues but for some reason, its not able to share its DLNA/Samba services to the same network. One small thing and its doing my head in now!

I have spent numerous hours already and not able to setup Tripmate in a way my existing network devices can see its services. I understand it might be too much info for here but if you can give me some pointers, it would be highly appreciated.

@savvysps,
Technically the ethernet port on the Tripmate is a WAN port though earlier versions of their firmware were not blocking services and allowing access. This was a bug still in place on .018.  I don't know what version you are on or exactly in which version HooToo fixed the problem.  If you are on a later version you can try to downgrade your router but keep in mind that if you ever plan to use it as a travel router your services would be exposed to the internet.  If I recall this exposure was there on both the wired and wireless interface on the WAN side and included HTTP(80), telnet (23), SMB and DLNA.

(Last edited by mmmdonuts on 18 Oct 2015, 23:31)

@mmmdonuts,

Thanks.. very useful info indeed and probably explains my issues!

The first thing I did when I got the Tripmate Nano was to upgrade the firmware. Think it was on .018 and I upgraded to .26 and according to what you said it seems this is what is the cause of my problems... awwww

Quick question - Do you know where can I find the .018 factory tripmate  firmware? Quick search around and Hootoo's website only seem to have the latest firmware (.26) available.

I will happily downgrade the firmware for now and get it going if I can...

@savvysps

I happen to have all the original TM02 firmware files, and I've created a shared file of the .018 zipped firmware file you needed.
Was the .018 firmware the one you said originally worked for you, for your setup you needed?

I have others too, and can make any of them shared for you to try too.

It's at my DropBox

(Last edited by HooTooJunkie on 24 Oct 2015, 12:55)

@HootooJunkie,

You are a life saver mate.... Many thanks...

I will try it out right away and see how it goes... cheers

savvysps wrote:

@HootooJunkie,

Glad to help.  Did you grab it yet?

HooTooJunkie wrote:
savvysps wrote:

@HootooJunkie,

Glad to help.  Did you grab it yet?

Yep... grabbed that one and flashing it now.. Will find out in a few mins if if worked or not...
And yes, it will be good to get others as well just in case. So if you can share them too, would be great.. cheers

@savvysps

I have .015 and .016 too, but if the .018 works for you, it's best to not go too far backwards for the reason mmmdonuts said...if HooToo fixed a bad bug in .018 the others will not be safe to use.

Here's an update for all then....

The .018 firmware works perfectly fine straight out of the box with next to no config changes whatsoever. So whatever I was trying to do from past couple of days and many config changes were of no real use as Hootoo seems to have blocked the WAN port for outgoing services in the .26 firmware at least. I hope this will help someone else like me in the future! :-)

I'll try out the .018 thoroughly over next few and let you know how it goes but for now... it seems to be doing the trick nicely.

Thanks a lot to all of you... great people... great forum.. keep up the good work.

@Hootoo Junkie... I agree that no point going any further backwards.. Are there any other firmware releases between .18 and the .26 currently available? If yes and you have them, it will be useful to have them share please... Thanks again for your help mate.

@savvysps

That's great, and amazing that the "bug" mmmdonuts mentioned seems to work for your needs.
Hysterical... haha!

I think there were others too, between .018 and .026 but I'm not sure where I have them.
Maybe on my Microsoft OneDrive account, I'll check and up them to my DropBox for you to play with.
Maybe one of those "between" files fixed the bug mmmdonuts mentioned, and will still work the way you needed.
I'll look later-on and if I find any of them, I'll post the shared links.

HooTooJunkie wrote:

@savvysps

That's great, and amazing that the "bug" mmmdonuts mentioned seems to work for your needs.
Hysterical... haha!

I think there were others too, between .018 and .026 but I'm not sure where I have them.
Maybe on my Microsoft OneDrive account, I'll check and up them to my DropBox for you to play with.
Maybe one of those "between" files fixed the bug mmmdonuts mentioned, and will still work the way you needed.
I'll look later-on and if I find any of them, I'll post the shared links.

No worries mate.. take your time.. no hurry as I have got something working now so a happy bunny :-) thanks a ton..

@savvysps

I've looked on my OneDrive, and other DropBox accounts I have, and saw the other files I had for the HooToo wasn't for the TM02, but instead were for the TM01 (file .022)

I know I have some others between .018 and the newest .026 (maybe for the TM02 nano) unless I'm mistaken, and they were ONLY for the other HooToo models I was going to try on the TM02, and may have just thought I remembered it was for the TM02 now... smile ...!
I'll check my hard drive backups to make sure.

Right now I have three TM02.
2 are with OpenWRT and 1 has the HooToo factory firmware to test their iOS App (TripMate Plus) when they update it, so I can see what progress they made with the File server (DLNA and Samba) with their original factory firmware, using my iPad.

Oh well...at least you have yours working as you wanted for now..and as you said ...it's no rush to get other firmware yet.

When I check my hard drive backups, if I do find the .022 , .023 ... etc... and see any additional ones for the TM02 I'll create the shared files for ya.

But it's possible, if you put any newer ones in that "fix the bug" that's allowing your setup to work, it may stop giving you that option, as the .026 did.

At least you'll be able to test it, and replace it with the .018 if that's the case.

Enjoy your HooToo nano.

(Last edited by HooTooJunkie on 24 Oct 2015, 13:18)

@HootooJunkie

I also sent an email to Hootoo over the weekend an got this reply from them this morning:

-------------------------------------------
Thank you for contacting us.
May I understand that you would like to use the DLNA/Samba service if your pcs are in the same netowrk of the TripMate? Please understand that we have banned the WAN access to the TripMate after firmware 2.000.022, because some customers said there was a risk of privacy security. So if you need this feature, please downgrade the firmware to 2.000.022
-------------------------------------------

So it is exactly on the same lines as we thought. For everyone's info, firmware .022 is the last stable one to use which allows access to WAN port openly. I have got this from Hootoo now and will be flashing this one for my use.

Thanks again for everyone's help here... Lets hope my Hootoo keeps going strong...

Btw any suggestions for the best Android and IOS apps to use with Hootoo will be welcome. I have got the Hootoo one but guess its not as good as it could be.

mmmdonuts wrote:

I've updated the HooToo image zip file on my Google share to a clean factory-reset version and more info in the readme.txt.

OK, thanks. I'll get a copy and try again. I have put it all back to OpenWrt and use it for wifi to my tablet, but the interest is too great not to pop it open and flash again. smile

Although, this sounds like a serious flash, by replacing the boot loader. But, like a Lemming I reach for puTTY.

But, time to walk the dog first.

HooTooJunkie:
Thanks for the .018, I seem to recall that when I used to have the stock firmware on there a year or more back, I had tried the later .022 and up, versions and found them buggy so kept going back to, I think, 018. Might have been .016.

So far I can see DLNA a bit flaky with android... each time I try to use it a couple of time, it sort of hangs the Hootoo or really slows it down to the point I end up rebooting it.

I'll keep testing... fingers crossed..

savvysps wrote:

So far I can see DLNA a bit flaky with android... each time I try to use it a couple of time, it sort of hangs the Hootoo or really slows it down to the point I end up rebooting it.

This is interesting.
Is this with the .022 or the .018 ?

Maybe the .018 is the stable one, even with the WAN bug it has, for at least using with DLNA/Samba.

And if you're not going to actually be on the internet, it maybe doesn't matter about the WAN bug.

@HooTooBeatMe
I'm very interested if you also find the .018 firmware more stable for you.

(Last edited by HooTooJunkie on 24 Oct 2015, 13:20)

HooTooJunkie wrote:
savvysps wrote:

This is interesting.
Is this with the .022 or the .018 ?
Because HooTooBeatMe said he noticed the .022 and above was a bit buggy.

Maybe the .018 is the stable one, even with the WAN bug it has, for at least using with DLNA/Samba.

And if you're not going to actually be on the internet, it maybe doesn't matter about the WAN bug.

@HooTooBeatMe
I'm very interested if you also find the .018 firmware more stable for you.

Glad I posted it shared, and kept it there.  smile

Its with sort of both at the moment... First it got slowed down with .018/DLNA and then got hung with .022/DLNA - both times when doing something with android... I'll try more and let you guys know in a day or so..

@HootooJunkie... sure I'll keep you all posted...

Another question... as u know I plan to connect a external portable usb powered hard drive to the Tripmate nano.. so I am wondering whether to leave it and hard drive on all the time or to power it off at night.

If power off when not in use (say night), can I just power it off at wall or need to worry about safely removing the hard drive each time (which will def be inconvenient)..?

Pls let me know ur views....