OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: davidc502 1900ac 3200acm builds

The content of this topic has been archived between 26 Feb 2018 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

grunt wrote:

Looks like disabling cpu idle for mamba has been officially added to lede git.

https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/open … 80401fa213

David, have you been disabling the cpu idle for the mamba for kernel 4.14? Ives read reports that people were getting reboots was unsure if that patch had been applied.

Anyways looks like its official for now.

Great find!!!  That's some good news finally.  I hated modifying my configs before building.

(Last edited by kirkgbr on 20 Mar 2018, 19:04)

Hey David,

I just installed your build on my WRT3200ACM last night and I'm trying to understand the QOS you have set up.

Does number of bytes in the Classification rules have to be in Bytes? Or is it actually Kbits as with the WAN section? Also is this only for download or is upload included?

Also, I'm looking to specifically block roommates from hogging all upstream bandwidth since this has caused me severe lag when gaming. I had my PC set as a priority with the stock firmware from Linksys, but apparently that didn't control upstream traffic.

GrateGatsby wrote:

Hey David,

I just installed your build on my WRT3200ACM last night and I'm trying to understand the QOS you have set up.

Does number of bytes in the Classification rules have to be in Bytes? Or is it actually Kbits as with the WAN section? Also is this only for download or is upload included?

Also, I'm looking to specifically block roommates from hogging all upstream bandwidth since this has caused me severe lag when gaming. I had my PC set as a priority with the stock firmware from Linksys, but apparently that didn't control upstream traffic.

@GrateGatsby

This is a package that is added to the build due to popular request,and it is one that I've never used before (Never had the need).  However, there are forum members here who use it all the time and are willing to help out. If you don't get a response from this thread, don't worry. Be sure to post the same question out on the lede forum too.

Best Regards

grunt wrote:

David, have you been disabling the cpu idle for the mamba for kernel 4.14? Ives read reports that people were getting reboots was unsure if that patch had been applied.

No, but that's only because I've never built 4.14 for Mamba. At any rate, this is good to know moving forward.

T-Troll wrote:

@davidc502
By the way, David, what do you think about WRT32X? Seems like the same hardware (based on reviews), price here is lower significantly.
I want to continue with you firmware, but no releases for it so far...

So far I haven't heard anything about it.  Just hang in there...

grunt wrote:

@Grunt thx for sharing this, I tested this new build and can confirm its the most stable 4.14 release for the WRT1900ac v1.

Router: WRT1900ac v1
Firmware: OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r6503-5faa955 / LuCI Master (git-18.078.55867-38f826e)
Download: http://downloads.lede-project.org/snaps … /cortexa9/

(Last edited by racef@ce on 20 Mar 2018, 21:40)

davidc502 wrote:
T-Troll wrote:

@davidc502
By the way, David, what do you think about WRT32X? Seems like the same hardware (based on reviews), price here is lower significantly.
I want to continue with you firmware, but no releases for it so far...

So far I haven't heard anything about it.  Just hang in there...

As an option, you can choose not to use nand download can be done from an external drive. I, for the sake of curiosity, this did at wrt3200, took the rootfs from OpenWRT/LEDE and collected its kernel, and it worked. Unfortunately, I know bad build OpenWRT, but someone well wielding can try.
I have collected a test kernel for wrt32x who wants to try. After a short processing Rootfs you can take from the OpenWRT.
https://github.com/ValCher1961/McDebian … aster/test

@davidc502, you can make such a version of OpenWRT?

GrateGatsby wrote:

Hey David,

Hi dude you don't want to use qos you want sqm.
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/net … safety_net

Hi,

as I said, would update how the WRT3200 works using build r6365 - Kernel 4.14.23, with # 3 radio enabled (phy2).

running 24 hours without any problem and with excellent transfer rates in WIFI. (according to the chart below), until now there has been no change in the radios, nor lose speed.

I am going to report if there is any problem, and if any friend wants to test something and just let me know.

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/31173050.png my link is 100/30 mbps

racef@ce wrote:
grunt wrote:

@Grunt thx for sharing this, I tested this new build and can confirm its the most stable 4.14 release for the WRT1900ac v1.

Router: WRT1900ac v1
Firmware: OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r6503-5faa955 / LuCI Master (git-18.078.55867-38f826e)
Download: http://downloads.lede-project.org/snaps … /cortexa9/

Good to know!

EDIT:
BusyBox v1.27.2 () built-in shell (ash)

_______                     ________        __
|       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
|   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
|_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
-----------------------------------------------------
OpenWrt SNAPSHOT, r6508-6fe9277
-----------------------------------------------------
root@lede:~# uptime
11:04:41 up 14:44,  load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00

(Last edited by dobetter on 22 Mar 2018, 04:05)

listerwrt wrote:

We might be in the same boat judging from your location. ACM was never sold in Aus as far as I know so the mwlwifi firmware region would always be a problem.

Not exactly, i'm living more close to China, in SEA. But the one region, yes, and the same problem - we only have gray-imported 3200s (and don't have it at all for now) for the crazy price.

listerwrt wrote:

I think you are right, WRT32X is exactly the same hardware.

I have a doubt about it. They mention "Killer wireless". In fact, it's "gaming" brand for damn buggy Atheros (i have a bad experience of using their wifi at my notebook, replace it to Intel as a result).
So it's a chance they use Atheros wifi boards instead of Marvell - not a good choice for me in this case.

T-Troll wrote:

I have a doubt about it. They mention "Killer wireless". In fact, it's "gaming" brand for damn buggy Atheros (i have a bad experience of using their wifi at my notebook, replace it to Intel as a result).
So it's a chance they use Atheros wifi boards instead of Marvell - not a good choice for me in this case.

According to wikidevi they are the same device with different firmware and black casing. I think the Killer part is just some kind of QoS software that talks to Killer devices on the network.

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Linksys_WRT32X

Hello David,

I currently use your 4.9 build on two WRT1900AC V1. and was wondering if you will build a new version using 4.14 kernel with the revisions for this unit.

Thanks for great builds.

Hey, David -

I'm considering flashing LEDE on my WRT1900ACS which is still using stock.  I've used a variety of open source firmwares on other various routers in the past so am familier with the advantages, but have also seen some stability issues especially related to the wifi driver for this model so have a couple of questions if you don't mind...

1. Are any driver issues with WiFi / mlwwifi on the 1900ACS ironed out so that if I flash LEDE the stability and performance of wireless (especially N & AC) will be on par or better than used in stock/OEM?

2. What's the difference between your firmware builds and the LEDE stock ones?  I couldn't find any description on your site, but it seems it's basically the same build with updated and additional packages installed which have been thoroughly tested (which would be great)

3. Your FAQ lists steps for how to install a different Wifi driver.  Why would I want to besides upgrading to resolve an issue?

Overall, this router has a ton of local and remote bandwidth going through it so it's important that it remain at least as stable as the OEM firmware and have at least the same wireless performance / range.  I don't want to sacrifice either of those just to add a few more features I'll rarely use so wanted to make sure.

Any info would be helpful - Thanks!

maddmax wrote:

Hello David,

I currently use your 4.9 build on two WRT1900AC V1. and was wondering if you will build a new version using 4.14 kernel with the revisions for this unit.

Thanks for great builds.

The next build for the v1 should include kernel 4.14.  Looks like there was a commit that hit trunk that automatically does what it needs to to keep the V1 from rebooting.

davidc502 wrote:
maddmax wrote:

Hello David,

Thanks for great builds.

The next build for the v1 should include kernel 4.14.  Looks like there was a commit that hit trunk that automatically does what it needs to to keep the V1 from rebooting.

Great stuff - looking forwards to it. But tell me, did you ever get to the bottom of the missing minidlna packages?

BzowK wrote:

Hey, David -

I'm considering flashing LEDE on my WRT1900ACS which is still using stock.  I've used a variety of open source firmwares on other various routers in the past so am familier with the advantages, but have also seen some stability issues especially related to the wifi driver for this model so have a couple of questions if you don't mind...

1. Are any driver issues with WiFi / mlwwifi on the 1900ACS ironed out so that if I flash LEDE the stability and performance of wireless (especially N & AC) will be on par or better than used in stock/OEM?

2. What's the difference between your firmware builds and the LEDE stock ones?  I couldn't find any description on your site, but it seems it's basically the same build with updated and additional packages installed which have been thoroughly tested (which would be great)

3. Your FAQ lists steps for how to install a different Wifi driver.  Why would I want to besides upgrading to resolve an issue?

Overall, this router has a ton of local and remote bandwidth going through it so it's important that it remain at least as stable as the OEM firmware and have at least the same wireless performance / range.  I don't want to sacrifice either of those just to add a few more features I'll rarely use so wanted to make sure.

Any info would be helpful - Thanks!

The wifi driver has been worked on fairly heavily, and at this point is in really good shape. As to how it works compared to the stock firmware, well that would be subjective. There are just too many variables for each person's environment all the way to all of the different devices people use to connect. My suggestion would be to install the build and see how it works for you.

There's zero difference between these builds and lede/openwrt trunk. Where the difference comes in is what packages are included. Over time I've tried to include some of the more popular application so that the user doesn't have to install it every time they want to upgrade. Another difference is how long packages are kept in the repository. Currently, there are builds and packages 8 months old, so if someone has an older build and wants to add packages, they can continue to do that.

wayne1958 wrote:
davidc502 wrote:
maddmax wrote:

Hello David,

Thanks for great builds.

Great stuff - looking forwards to it. But tell me, did you ever get to the bottom of the missing minidlna packages?

Sorry, but minidlna never circled back around to me.

does it mean the current k4.4 builds e.g. r5113 for the v1 have the cpu idle value set to disabled?

wrtboy wrote:

does it mean the current k4.4 builds e.g. r5113 for the v1 have the cpu idle value set to disabled?

5032 and 5113 both have cpu idle disabled.  4901 may have it disabled as well.

re. minidlna

CONFIG_BUILD_PATENTED=y

Hi,

I just installed the latest 1200ac firmware from David's site and while the samba share works on wired connections, it doesnt even show up on wireless. I tried putting in the route \\192.168.10.1 but that also doesnt work.

Like I said, works on wired connections - any help greatly appreciated!

--------
edit solved my own issue by removing the following from the samba config:
    interfaces = |INTERFACES|
    bind interfaces only = yes

Just to clarify - there is no risk on the wan side for this is there?

(Last edited by winger88 on 22 Mar 2018, 02:08)

Villeneuve wrote:

re. minidlna

CONFIG_BUILD_PATENTED=y
 davidc502@softly:~/Desktop/lede$ cat .config |grep CONFIG_BUILD_PATENTED
# CONFIG_BUILD_PATENTED is not set 

Now set to ....

davidc502@softly:~/Desktop/lede$ cat .config |grep CONFIG_BUILD_PATENTED
CONFIG_BUILD_PATENTED=y 

Set in "Compile with support for patented functionality"

Thank you

(Last edited by davidc502 on 22 Mar 2018, 02:13)

winger88 wrote:

Hi,

I just installed the latest 1200ac firmware from David's site and while the samba share works on wired connections, it doesnt even show up on wireless. I tried putting in the route \\192.168.10.1 but that also doesnt work.

Like I said, works on wired connections - any help greatly appreciated!

--------
edit solved my own issue by removing the following from the samba config:
    interfaces = |INTERFACES|
    bind interfaces only = yes

Just to clarify - there is no risk on the wan side for this is there?

There's always risk, but unless you've set up Samba for the Wan and changed the firewall rules to accommodate Samba on the Wan interface, you should be fine.

Great job figuring out the issue!!

David or anyone else building their own. 

It's been a couple months since I last built.  For some reason it seems the location of my built images landed in a different / path location.

bin/targets/mvebu/generic/

To:
bin/targets/mvebu/cortexa9/

Did anyone else notice this or did I do something wrong?

(Last edited by kirkgbr on 22 Mar 2018, 02:29)