Re: Fully featured OpenWrt build for the WNDR3700

Does anyone use a USB drive for additional storage, if so how do you get it to auto mount if the router is rebooted. Also what do I need to do to make sure that openwrt will use this device for storage. Could someone point me in the right direction. Do you edit the target in the software tab?

Read first post and http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/techref/block_mount

kaiguy wrote:
dslabby wrote:

Could anyone please help an OpenWRT and Linux/Unix newbie do the above?  It seems simple enough but I don't know how to do it and need this on my newly OpenWRT enhanced router.  (Love this firmware!)  Detailed instructions please, I am a computer nerd but a Linux virgin smile  Thanks in advance.

1. SSH to your router (i.e., ssh root@192.168.1.1) and login with your password. 
(If you don't know how to do this, download putty.  The IP of your router is 192.168.1.1, the login is "root", and the password is whatever you set.  There are plenty of putty tutorials on the web if you need more info)
2. After you're logged in, type those commands one after another.  This should enable you to get your dual channel with the HT40.

Thanks for your help, I have used putty before so this should be easy.  I just wanted to be sure before I messed something up.  One last (I hope) question, since the Netgear firmware can recognize and use OpenWRT firmware, can the reverse be true?  Say you wanted to revert back to Netgear stock from OpenWRT for some reason, or is telnet the only way to go?  I have searched but can not find a clear answer to this.

arokh wrote:

Thanks for getting back to me, however this just looks to complex for the amount of spare time I have at the moment, I have a very young son who is currently eating all my spare time. Has anyone ever paid for some bespoke code creation on here. Is that something that is allowed. The stuff I want to do would probably take someone with the knowledge a few minutes and I would pay for there time.

If this is not acceptable however I understand

@dslabby  - to go back to the Netgear firmware you have to use the reset / TFTP option (detailed in the wiki  http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/generic.flashing.tftp )

1,456 (edited by mroek 2011-06-17 16:17:56)

carnaged wrote:
arokh wrote:

Thanks for getting back to me, however this just looks to complex for the amount of spare time I have at the moment, I have a very young son who is currently eating all my spare time. Has anyone ever paid for some bespoke code creation on here. Is that something that is allowed. The stuff I want to do would probably take someone with the knowledge a few minutes and I would pay for there time.

I think you will need to partition/format the USB memory before plugging it into the router (as the router itself doesn't seem to have the necessary utilities installed). You can do this with the http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php or any Linux distro that has GParted installed.

Dickie wrote:

@dslabby  - to go back to the Netgear firmware you have to use the reset / TFTP option (detailed in the wiki  http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/generic.flashing.tftp )

Got it, thanks.

mroek wrote:
carnaged wrote:
arokh wrote:

I think you will need to partition/format the USB memory before plugging it into the router (as the router itself doesn't seem to have the necessary utilities installed). You can do this with the http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php or any Linux distro that has GParted installed.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I have formatted the drive with ex4 however it doesn't stay when the router is rebooted. Basically I would like someone to write me the code so that my 1GB usb drive mounts everytime and bandwidthd runs from it instead of the routers memory. Maybe setup a swap file with some of the memory on the stick as well. For someone in the know I bet it would take 10 minutes if that.

infinityz wrote:

Hi All,

there's somebody from UK able to set over 20db for the 2.4 and/or over 17db for the 5Ghz?
I tried many country codes with no luck!

Nobody? :-(

arokh wrote:

@jmmec

Ruby failed to dl because of an md5sum mismatch, should be fixed in the next tarball. About the transmission configure error, I had the same error before. It should have been fixed by running autogen.sh before configuring, not sure why you still get it.

Thanks a lot!

Have you seen the errors below when doing a "make menuconfig"?   (I've tried with version 3.81 and 3.82 versions of gnu make, and have done "make dirclean" and "make clean" and some other things.)   I don't see these when using the "real" trunk.

/OpenWrt/r27202/kamikaze $ make menuconfig
tmp/.config-package.in:16893:warning: 'select' used by config symbol 'PACKAGE_freeswitch-mod-cdr-pg-csv' refer to undefined symbol 'PACKAGE_postgresql'
tmp/.config-package.in:16905:warning: 'select' used by config symbol 'PACKAGE_freeswitch-mod-cdr-sqlite' refer to undefined symbol 'PACKAGE_sqlite3'
tmp/.config-package.in:23733:warning: 'select' used by config symbol 'PACKAGE_dmapd' refer to undefined symbol 'PACKAGE_db47'
tmp/.config-package.in:23904:warning: 'select' used by config symbol 'PACKAGE_freepops' refer to undefined symbol 'PACKAGE_luacurl'
tmp/.config-package.in:25481:warning: 'select' used by config symbol 'PACKAGE_ppp-mod-pptp' refer to undefined symbol 'PACKAGE_kmod-accel-pptp'
Warning! Found recursive dependency: PACKAGE_lcd4linux LCD4LINUX_DRV_serdisplib LCD4LINUX_NEEDS_serdisplib PACKAGE_lcd4linux
Warning! Found recursive dependency: PACKAGE_iptables PACKAGE_luci-app-p2pblock PACKAGE_luci-app-firewall PACKAGE_firewall PACKAGE_iptables
Warning! Found recursive dependency: PACKAGE_luci-mod-freifunk-community PACKAGE_luci-app-olsr-services PACKAGE_luci-mod-freifunk-community
Warning! Found recursive dependency: PACKAGE_luci-app-olsr PACKAGE_olsrd PACKAGE_luci-app-olsr
Warning! Found recursive dependency: PACKAGE_luci-app-splash PACKAGE_luci-app-splash
Warning! Found recursive dependency: PACKAGE_luci-app-diag-devinfo PACKAGE_luci-app-voice-diag PACKAGE_luci-app-diag-devinfo
Warning! Found recursive dependency: PACKAGE_luci-theme-base PACKAGE_luci-lib-web PACKAGE_luci-lib-nixio PACKAGE_luci-lib-core PACKAGE_luci-theme-openwrt PACKAGE_luci-theme-base
Warning! Found recursive dependency: PACKAGE_qt4 PACKAGE_qt4-declarative PACKAGE_qt4-gui PACKAGE_qt4
Warning! Found recursive dependency: PACKAGE_zlib CLEARSILVER_ENABLE_COMPRESSION PACKAGE_zlib
Warning! Found recursive dependency: PACKAGE_kmod-ipv6 PACKAGE_kmod-ipv6

jmmec wrote:
arokh wrote:

@jmmec

Ruby failed to dl because of an md5sum mismatch, should be fixed in the next tarball. About the transmission configure error, I had the same error before. It should have been fixed by running autogen.sh before configuring, not sure why you still get it.

Thanks a lot!

Have you seen the errors below when doing a "make menuconfig"?   (I've tried with version 3.81 and 3.82 versions of gnu make, and have done "make dirclean" and "make clean" and some other things.)   I don't see these when using the "real" trunk.

/OpenWrt/r27202/kamikaze $ make menuconfig
tmp/.config-package.in:16893:warning: 'select' used by config symbol 'PACKAGE_freeswitch-mod-cdr-pg-csv' refer to undefined symbol 'PACKAGE_postgresql'
tmp/.config-package.in:16905:warning: 'select' used by config symbol 'PACKAGE_freeswitch-mod-cdr-sqlite' refer to undefined symbol 'PACKAGE_sqlite3'
tmp/.config-package.in:23733:warning: 'select' used by config symbol 'PACKAGE_dmapd' refer to undefined symbol 'PACKAGE_db47'
tmp/.config-package.in:23904:warning: 'select' used by config symbol 'PACKAGE_freepops' refer to undefined symbol 'PACKAGE_luacurl'
tmp/.config-package.in:25481:warning: 'select' used by config symbol 'PACKAGE_ppp-mod-pptp' refer to undefined symbol 'PACKAGE_kmod-accel-pptp'
Warning! Found recursive dependency: PACKAGE_lcd4linux LCD4LINUX_DRV_serdisplib LCD4LINUX_NEEDS_serdisplib PACKAGE_lcd4linux
Warning! Found recursive dependency: PACKAGE_iptables PACKAGE_luci-app-p2pblock PACKAGE_luci-app-firewall PACKAGE_firewall PACKAGE_iptables
Warning! Found recursive dependency: PACKAGE_luci-mod-freifunk-community PACKAGE_luci-app-olsr-services PACKAGE_luci-mod-freifunk-community
Warning! Found recursive dependency: PACKAGE_luci-app-olsr PACKAGE_olsrd PACKAGE_luci-app-olsr
Warning! Found recursive dependency: PACKAGE_luci-app-splash PACKAGE_luci-app-splash
Warning! Found recursive dependency: PACKAGE_luci-app-diag-devinfo PACKAGE_luci-app-voice-diag PACKAGE_luci-app-diag-devinfo
Warning! Found recursive dependency: PACKAGE_luci-theme-base PACKAGE_luci-lib-web PACKAGE_luci-lib-nixio PACKAGE_luci-lib-core PACKAGE_luci-theme-openwrt PACKAGE_luci-theme-base
Warning! Found recursive dependency: PACKAGE_qt4 PACKAGE_qt4-declarative PACKAGE_qt4-gui PACKAGE_qt4
Warning! Found recursive dependency: PACKAGE_zlib CLEARSILVER_ENABLE_COMPRESSION PACKAGE_zlib

There aren't errors, only warnings.

There aren't errors, only warnings.

Oh sure, "warnings", but these apparently prevent menuconfig from executing, although I can modify ".config" manually.

The list in my post above are from the "kamikaze/feeds" being pulled in.  While I'm sure these are needed, if I remove the "feeds" directory, then the set of warnings changes to:

Collecting package info: done
tmp/.config-package.in:527:warning: 'select' used by config symbol 'PACKAGE_libavahi' refer to undefined symbol 'PACKAGE_libdaemon'
tmp/.config-package.in:529:warning: 'select' used by config symbol 'PACKAGE_libavahi' refer to undefined symbol 'PACKAGE_libgdbm'
tmp/.config-package.in:569:warning: 'select' used by config symbol 'PACKAGE_libavahi-dbus-support' refer to undefined symbol 'PACKAGE_dbus'
tmp/.config-package.in:1110:warning: 'select' used by config symbol 'PACKAGE_avahi-autoipd' refer to undefined symbol 'PACKAGE_libdaemon'
tmp/.config-package.in:1132:warning: 'select' used by config symbol 'PACKAGE_avahi-daemon' refer to undefined symbol 'PACKAGE_libexpat'

No those warnings do not prevent menuconfig from running, there must be another error. Look closer at your log.

jow wrote:

No those warnings do not prevent menuconfig from running, there must be another error. Look closer at your log.

Hmmm, I don't see any other errors (with V=99), and the menuconfig tool never starts up.   The "make menuconfig" just exits with "Your configuration changes were NOT saved."   

Any other thoughts?

/OpenWrt/r27202/kamikaze $ make menuconfig V=99
+ mkdir -p /mnt/data_sda3/OpenWrt/r27202/kamikaze/staging_dir/toolchain-mips_r2_gcc-linaro_uClibc-0.9.32
+ cd /mnt/data_sda3/OpenWrt/r27202/kamikaze/staging_dir/toolchain-mips_r2_gcc-linaro_uClibc-0.9.32
+ mkdir -p stamp lib usr/include usr/lib
Collecting package info: done
Collecting target info: done
#
# using defaults found in .config
#

Your configuration changes were NOT saved.

Terminal too small maybe?

kaiguy wrote:

Hello,

I've been using r27175 this evening, and am totally impressed by OpenWRT.  I have everything working great, including dual channel wifi.  But I have hit a brick wall with an issue I'm experiencing.  My wifi throughput within my LAN completely drops off when I have another (wired) client accessing the WAN.  Specifically, when my wired NAS is downloading files via the WAN, my access via wifi to that NAS cuts down significantly compared to what it is when it's idle (my 10mb/s average transfers over wifi drops to 100-500k per second). On the stock WNDR3700 firmware, I never encountered any slow down at all; the NAS is beefy enough to handle multiple connections and disk activity. 

Is there perhaps a setting I'm missing?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Edited: Ok, I was able to do a little more testing.  So here's what I've learned:

When my wired NAS is downloading from the WAN, my wifi laptop experiences very slow transfers to/from the NAS (with no other wifi activity).  Wifi transfers from my laptop to a wired machine are fine (again, while the NAS is active).  Wired transfers between the wired NAS and the wired machine are fine.  Strange, right?

I guess I'm the only one who is experiencing this problem.  I have tried all the latest nightlies as well, but nothing I have done seems to fix this strange wifi throughput problem when accessing a wired client.  I'm back on Netgear stock firmware, but if anyone ends up shedding some light on this, I'll run back to OpenWrt.  Thanks!

jmmec wrote:
jow wrote:

Hmmm, I don't see any other errors (with V=99), and the menuconfig tool never starts up.   The "make menuconfig" just exits with "Your configuration changes were NOT saved."   

Any other thoughts?

I had this problem. I don't know what file exactly causes the problem, but doing a make distclean fixed this for me.

Note, this removes all the custom files (.config, custom feeds, etc.). so make sure to make a copy of them, and copy them back in once make menuconfig is working again. Pretty annoying, I was also confused by the dependency errors setting me on the wrong track :-)

Thank you so much for making your build available. 

I am having a slight issue with two of the packages and was hoping you could help:

opkg install kmod-usb-serial-sierrawireless
Installing kmod-usb-serial-sierrawireless (2.6.32.10-1) to root...
Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/10.03/ar71xx/packages/kmod-usb                                              -serial-sierrawireless_2.6.32.10-1_ar71xx.ipk.
Not downgrading package kernel on root from 2.6.37.6-1 to 2.6.32.10-1.
Collected errors:
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-usb-serial-sierrawireless.

I get a very similar error with kmod-usb-serial

Thank you for all your help.

Can anyone point me to a guide/tutorial for the QOS used in this release?  If I make any changes my internet download slows to a crawl.  Turn it off, and all is well again.  It seems easy enough but I must be screwing something up.  I have VOIP and I game alot so I do need some QOS shaping.  Any help would be appreciated.

How i can disable ipv6 for LAN? I need only ipv4 in lan.

arokh wrote:

You can still install NTFS support. I don't include it in the  base build because the Linux driver has horrible performance and even more so on such a slow device as a router. Why anyone would choose it over EXT for that purpose is beyond me.

@gut4

I'll update it soon smile

How install support NTFS for your bulid.

Using the the luCI interface I created a new 802.11bgn network to use as a guest network, I near enough copied the setting from the already setup template that was included in the firmware for this router. I connected to the new network and it worked, is that a legit way to create a guest network within luCI, is saw the tutorial on Openwrt but that looks too much for me.

No doubt this is not right but I thought I would ask?

Did anybody have reboot issue on this release?  For certain reason I can't use reboot command in shell to restart the router on this release.  Every time I tried to reboot with the command, it shutdown the router and will never come back.  I had to push the power button to turn it off them turn it back on.

Ok I've tried my best guys, honest, yet I've had zero responses (either through PM or on here).. Can someone at least tell me how to trap the messages generated off a switchport?  I've tried  TCPDump, nada.. I've checked the syslog, kernel log.. I can't figure out why this stupid powerline adapter doesn't seem to want to link (in case you've missed my other posts, Belkin Gigabit Powerline adapter -- slow (very) blinking link light on the router, no connectivity.. All other GIG-e and FETH connections work fine).

The worst part is that DD-WRT and stock firmware works fine, but then there's other issues.. This build is the most stable wirelessly, but now I can't connect my powerline LAN.

I don't need to be spoonfed, but any tools you're aware of that can give me port level messages on why the negotiation is failing.. Or for that matter if you can point me to where I can replace the switch driver with what's in either the stock firmware or dd-wrt I would really appreciate it!  This is my only roadblock on this router at the moment, and I'd like to be able to use my powerline network with everything else that's finally stable.

Help.. Please?

Slow around here during summer it seems. You can look at the kernel log (dmesg) for hints about why it's not linking, and the only tool to manipulate the switch is swconfig. Do a 'swconfig dev rtl8366s show | grep link' to see full link status.

I have no idea why it would work on stock/dd-wrt but not openwrt. Did you try a backfire build? Probably wouldn't make a difference as I believe it's using the same switch driver, but anyways.