OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Fully featured OpenWrt build for the WNDR3700 (NO LONGER MAINTAINED)

The content of this topic has been archived between 13 Apr 2013 and 6 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

I reported the same issue with OpenWRT/arokh's builds. I have a Zenithink ePad and I get the same messages as you see (hostapd: wlan0: STA 00:21:2f:2b:43:09 IEEE 802.11: deauthenticated due to local deauth request). It drove me nuts and I decided to try it with dd-wrt and the original Netgear stock firmware (1.0.14.98) ...but..with both firmwares I do not have a single problem to WiFi connect my ePad, it's only with OpenWRT that it fails.. :-(

I know that there was a time I had no problems with OpenWRT but in one a the new builds the problem started..but unfortunately, I don't know as of which version that was...

So for the time being, I'm now using the original Netgear stock firmware. Will give OpenWRT a try again by the end this month to see if it has been resolved, if not, maybe an opportunity to see how dd-wrt is behaving by then..

I just bought another 3700v1, put on the same build as my existing one, then restored a backup.  Everything looks good, but I can't get either radio to turn on.  It looks like all my configs imported, is there some reg domain setting somewhere I may have missed?

Thanks - at least I'm not going mad ;-)  I'll leave OpenWRT up for now and keep checking it.  For the time being I'll just host a few connections on the timecapsule (its hardly doing anything else!)

I have cifs mount configured and working.  I am able to mount a samba share from my nas, change dirs, get file listings and even cat files.
However, the moment that I add a new file or directory on the samba share (I do that on the nas itself not on the mounted share) if I try to get a listing again it simply hangs.  The router works fine except that I can no longer access the share or unmount it.  The only thing I can do is reboot the router.  Any idea why this would be happening?

I have no problems accessing the samba nas share from other windows or linux boxes.

First off id like to thank everyone who helped out with this openwrt release, and a speciall thanks fly out to arkoh for maintaining it. My wndr3700 is better than ever before!

But i need to ask you guys, anyone got up and above 10mb/sec on wireless? Cant rly seem to get my settings right, im currenly maxing out at 5mb/sec or so

Anyone mind shareing thire setup for maximum transfer rates? Im also keen on low ping, so if anyone have tweaks to help out there (currently pinging 200 +/- to germany from Norway which id like to atleast cut in half)

(Last edited by joelkaberg on 5 Jun 2011, 14:15)

1)
anybody having issues with 40mhz channel bonding with the r27114 build (2.4ghz, 5ghz works fine)?

i just cant get channel bonding up. tried updating and restoring settings, tried to go to factory defaults and tried to flash without keeping configuration files.....
could not find any error or misbehavior in the log files.

reverted to 26387 and all work fine.... looks like my router does not like 27114

tried some more settings in 27114, and i only get channel bonding working at 2.4 ghz channel 11 (HT-). Al other channels did not work.

2)
An other thing, i noticed that 2.4ghz can go to 27db (501mw) transmit power. Is this safe? is it safe for the transmitters to do 400mw extra without damage? the difference in reception on my laptop between 20db(100mw) and 27db(501mw) is 10dBm on my setup.

3)
is it possible on the openwrt forum to search 'within' a topic? am i missing an option to do this? kinda anoying to have to read thru al the posts in this topic when searching for something....

(Last edited by Rayures on 6 Jun 2011, 08:23)

Hi, I'm still enjoying this build every day. Thanks

I tried adding a third USB device today to my USB2 hub which is connected to the router, but I'm not able to access or see the device file for it.
I formatted and partioned it in ubuntu with ext3.
Tried using usbutils but that returned an error:

~# lsusb
unable to initialize libusb: -99

The 3 other devices  (a 2gb USB stick + 180 gb Hard Disk + the 4-port USB2 hub) are recognized without problems.

Here are the relevant parts of my kernel log:

SCSI subsystem initialized
usbcore: registered new interface driver usbfs
usbcore: registered new interface driver hub
usbcore: registered new device driver usb
ehci_hcd: USB 2.0 'Enhanced' Host Controller (EHCI) Driver
ar71xx-ehci ar71xx-ehci: Atheros AR71xx built-in EHCI controller
ar71xx-ehci ar71xx-ehci: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
ar71xx-ehci ar71xx-ehci: irq 3, io mem 0x1b000000
ar71xx-ehci ar71xx-ehci: USB 2.0 started, EHCI 1.00
hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 1-0:1.0: 2 ports detected
ohci_hcd: USB 1.1 'Open' Host Controller (OHCI) Driver
ar71xx-ohci ar71xx-ohci: Atheros AR71xx built-in OHCI controller
ar71xx-ohci ar71xx-ohci: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
ar71xx-ohci ar71xx-ohci: irq 14, io mem 0x1c000000
hub 2-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 2-0:1.0: 2 ports detected
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
USB Mass Storage support registered.
usb 1-1: new high speed USB device using ar71xx-ehci and address 2
hub 1-1:1.0: USB hub found
hub 1-1:1.0: 4 ports detected
usb 1-1.1: new high speed USB device using ar71xx-ehci and address 3
usb 1-1.2: new high speed USB device using ar71xx-ehci and address 4
scsi0 : usb-storage 1-1.2:1.0
usb 1-1.3: new high speed USB device using ar71xx-ehci and address 5
scsi1 : usb-storage 1-1.3:1.0
scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access     Generic  Flash Disk       8.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 3838976 512-byte logical blocks: (1.96 GB/1.83 GiB)
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
 sda: sda1
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk
scsi 1:0:0:0: Direct-Access     WDC      WD2000BB-22GUA0  08.0 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] 390721968 512-byte logical blocks: (200 GB/186 GiB)
sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 53 00 00 08
sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
 sdb: sdb1
sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI disk

Anybody got an idea of what's going on?

thanks

(Last edited by wikke on 7 Jun 2011, 00:44)

wikke wrote:

I tried adding a third USB device today to my USB2 hub which is connected to the router, but I'm not able to access or see the device file for it.

~# lsusb

The 3 other devices  (a 2gb USB stick + 180 gb Hard Disk + the 4-port USB2 hub) are recognized without problems.

thanks

Maybe it is a power issue? I had this some time ago...

hmm today is the IPV6 test day, my clients cant ping anymore ipv6 internet hosts, it resolves the domains perfectly and I can ping the internal ipv6 addresses, but internet addresses do not work. However directly on the router via ssh, I can ping all the ipv6 host such as google, without problems. I'm using hurrican electric as tunnelbroker, and radvd, Any suggestions?

cdr wrote:
wikke wrote:

~# lsusb

thanks

Maybe it is a power issue? I had this some time ago...

Well, I tried just plugging in only the hard disk ..
So removing the usb hub and other devices had no effect.
And the drive can be recognized on other computers, so I'm fairly sure the disk is operating normally.

I'm out of ideas. sad

joelkaberg wrote:

First off id like to thank everyone who helped out with this openwrt release, and a speciall thanks fly out to arkoh for maintaining it. My wndr3700 is better than ever before!

But i need to ask you guys, anyone got up and above 10mb/sec on wireless? Cant rly seem to get my settings right, im currenly maxing out at 5mb/sec or so

Anyone mind shareing thire setup for maximum transfer rates? Im also keen on low ping, so if anyone have tweaks to help out there (currently pinging 200 +/- to germany from Norway which id like to atleast cut in half)

bump smile

is there rtsp passthrough in this.
For it is not in ddwrt release

I got myself a ruckus 7363 to test a bit the network performance (and compare it to the netgear) this is a professional solution not mainstream, these are my results:

5GHZ
NETIO - Network Throughput Benchmark, Version 1.31
(C) 1997-2010 Kai Uwe Rommel

TCP connection established.
Packet size  1k bytes:  19.02 MByte/s Tx,  15.96 MByte/s Rx.
Packet size  2k bytes:  19.45 MByte/s Tx,  17.38 MByte/s Rx.
Packet size  4k bytes:  21.18 MByte/s Tx,  18.46 MByte/s Rx.
Packet size  8k bytes:  21.58 MByte/s Tx,  19.04 MByte/s Rx.
Packet size 16k bytes:  21.87 MByte/s Tx,  18.83 MByte/s Rx.
Packet size 32k bytes:  22.05 MByte/s Tx,  18.88 MByte/s Rx.
Done.

2.4GHZ

Packet size  1k bytes:  7653.01 KByte/s Tx,  6328.23 KByte/s Rx.
Packet size  2k bytes:  7466.24 KByte/s Tx,  7255.74 KByte/s Rx.
Packet size  4k bytes:  7354.80 KByte/s Tx,  7953.76 KByte/s Rx.
Packet size  8k bytes:  7709.02 KByte/s Tx,  8767.09 KByte/s Rx.
Packet size 16k bytes:  6734.28 KByte/s Tx,  8657.45 KByte/s Rx.
Packet size 32k bytes:  6900.56 KByte/s Tx,  8302.11 KByte/s Rx.
Done.

NetGear:

5GHZ

Packet size  1k bytes:  16.26 MByte/s Tx,  7571.25 KByte/s Rx.
Packet size  2k bytes:  16.80 MByte/s Tx,  7442.37 KByte/s Rx.
Packet size  4k bytes:  18.93 MByte/s Tx,  7049.80 KByte/s Rx.
Packet size  8k bytes:  19.55 MByte/s Tx,  8911.23 KByte/s Rx.
Packet size 16k bytes:  19.77 MByte/s Tx,  8679.82 KByte/s Rx.
Packet size 32k bytes:  19.74 MByte/s Tx,  8146.55 KByte/s Rx.
Done.

2.4GHZ

Packet size  1k bytes:  4738.06 KByte/s Tx,  4506.36 KByte/s Rx.
Packet size  2k bytes:  5060.08 KByte/s Tx,  4286.58 KByte/s Rx.
Packet size  4k bytes:  5326.80 KByte/s Tx,  5069.69 KByte/s Rx.
Packet size  8k bytes:  5309.24 KByte/s Tx,  4348.81 KByte/s Rx.
Packet size 16k bytes:  5201.35 KByte/s Tx,  5026.30 KByte/s Rx.
Packet size 32k bytes:  5659.22 KByte/s Tx,  7425.56 KByte/s Rx.
Done.

abolition which OpenWRT revision was used for this test?

The results are quite impressive, and seem to be contrary to what (most) everyone says about wireless performance.

joelkaberg wrote:
joelkaberg wrote:

bump :)

I currently get 9-11mb/sec on both 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ on build r27139 when copying a large file from a USB stick attached to the router over wireless.

Configs are:

Mode: Master | SSID: XXXX1
BSSID: C0:3F:0E:7B:F2:90 | Encryption: mixed WPA/WPA2 PSK (TKIP, CCMP)
Channel: 11 (2.462 GHz) | Tx-Power: 25 dBm
Signal: -60 dBm | Noise: -89 dBm
Bit Rate: 243.0 MBit/s | Country: CA

Mode: Master | SSID: XXXX2
BSSID: C0:3F:0E:7B:F2:92 | Encryption: WPA2 PSK (CCMP)
Channel: 149 (5.745 GHz) | Tx-Power: 19 dBm
Signal: 0 dBm | Noise: -95 dBm
Bit Rate: 0.0 MBit/s | Country: CA

anewkirk wrote:

abolition which OpenWRT revision was used for this test?

The results are quite impressive, and seem to be contrary to what (most) everyone says about wireless performance.

OpenWrt | Attitude Adjustment (r27088)

I have had much better results in the past where the RX was reaching 10MB on 5ghz and both TX and RX where 8MB+ on 2.4GHz.

My 2.4GHZ results were done using a mac, which cannot bond (aka 300mbps) on 2.4ghz, so I would assume it would be twice as fast on other machines.

I have a problem getting radio0 to use dual channels.

Radio1 works just fine and I can see in inSSIDer I use channel 161 + 157 and the performance also shows I use both.

Not so much luck with radio0 and I've tried HT40- and HT40+ with no luck.  I get no errors but it just does not use two channels, from the config below uses only channel 9.  I've  tried many combinations of channels and HT-modes with no luck.

Any idea what I do wrong, or is there some kind of limitation in 3700 that prevents this?

My current build is r27153.

This is my /etc/config/wireless configs.

config 'wifi-device' 'radio0'
        option 'type' 'mac80211'
        option 'macaddr' 'c0:3f:0e:7c:00:25'
        list 'ht_capab' 'SHORT-GI-40'
        list 'ht_capab' 'TX-STBC'
        list 'ht_capab' 'RX-STBC1'
        list 'ht_capab' 'DSSS_CCK-40'
        option 'disabled' '0'
        option 'txpower' '27'
        option 'hwmode' '11ng'
        option 'country' 'CA'
        option 'channel' '9'
        option 'htmode' 'HT40-'
config 'wifi-device' 'radio1'
        option 'type' 'mac80211'
        option 'macaddr' 'c0:3f:0e:7c:00:27'
        list 'ht_capab' 'SHORT-GI-40'
        list 'ht_capab' 'TX-STBC'
        list 'ht_capab' 'RX-STBC1'
        list 'ht_capab' 'DSSS_CCK-40'
        option 'hwmode' '11na'
        option 'country' 'CA'
        option 'disabled' '0'
        option 'channel' '161'
        option 'htmode' 'HT40-'
        option 'txpower' '27'

I found the solution to my own problem in another thread:

uci set wireless.radio0.noscan=1
uci commit
reboot

This fixed the problem and I now also use 2 channels on radio0.

Has anyone had any luck setting specific settings per switch port on the WNDR3700v1?  I'm running into the same issues I had back in December that I can't seem to make a Belkin Powerline HD adapter + OpenWRT play nice together (Link light for the port is a very slow flash, no link state detected) -- all other systems seem to link up just fine.

I'd really like to force the speed/duplex on a port, but I can't seem to find a way to do it with ethtool or otherwise.  Is this possible? I can't think of any other reason why the powerline adapter isn't making a link other than a speed/duplex mismatch..  For what it's worth the adapter works fine with DD-WRT and stock firmware, but those firmware versions have major drawbacks.  I'm kind of stuck here, so if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm running This is ATTITUDE ADJUSTMENT (bleeding edge, r27155).

I have a WNDR3700 and am new to building OpenWrt.  I am trying to learn to build the source code being produced in this excellent discussion thread.   Are there any tricks that I'm missing?  smile

I downloaded "openwrt-r27170-src.tar.bz2" from http://enduser.subsignal.org/~trondah/ and did a "make V=99" and the build started up.  (I'm running a 32-bit Linux Mint distribution.)

The first problem I encountered was that the build seemed to be trying to download MiniDLNA from OpenWrt instead of from SourceForge, and the version requested wasn't available so the build was failing.  I downloaded the source from http://enduser.subsignal.org/~trondah/src/dl/  and stuck it in my "dl" directory, and this solved that problem.

The next problem was with the "transmission" build and a missing "po/Makefile.in.in" (IIRC).  I commented-out all of the transmission packages in the .config file so that they wouldn't be built.

I'm not sure if I'll hit other problems since the build is on-going, but I seem to be doing something very wrong and figured I needed to ask for help.

Help?

Thanks a lot!

@jmmec

You'll need CVS and SVN installed, as minidlna/transmission is fetched directly from there.

I've tried searching, but I am unable to find a definite answer to this question:

Does OpenWRT run the same chance of the "radio death"-issue as DD-WRT does? My WNDR3700v1 is 01R14, and I'd really like to try OpenWRT as I am fed up with the stock firmware, but the radio death issue has me somewhat scared. There seems to be no information about whether this issue is permanent, i.e if it persists even after reflashing to stock firmware again.

I never heard about this "radio death" issue, but if nobody reproduced the problem and knows what causes it, then obviously you won't find a definite answer to your question.

Well, I guess you are right. The only way to find out whether my router will be affected is to try flashing and see what happens. I'll probably try your latest OpenWRT build tonight.

Still looking for help.. Is there any way I can set the speed/duplex (lock it) on a port? Unfortunately the powerline adapter doesn't do anything but auto, so this is my only shot.

Or if anyone has any ideas on how I can troubleshoot the packets on the port when it tries to initially activate?  OpenWRT is the only firmware I've tried (including stock) that provides a stable/reliable 2.4ghz and 5ghz signal, but if the rest of my hard wired systems can't connect it's a big problem for me.

I'm willing to try anything, and am relatively skilled in linux -- so fire away your ideas!