ZBT Z8103AX-D: upgrading from 21.02 to 23.05

I will have to figure out how to do that. by the way exactly which openwrt image to download?

This is outdated but this is the one I'm currently using. The web interface is also enabled.

Firmware date created = 26/11/2023

Use at your own risk.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing that.
Shall I also try the snapshot before trying this?https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/mediatek/filogic/openwrt-mediatek-filogic-zbtlink_zbt-z8103ax-initramfs-kernel.bin

No, try mine first.
Snapshot = no web interface
Mine (slightly outdated but based on official openwrt) = has web interface.

1 Like

all of them failed. now waiting for seller's email. they agreed to email the file. fingers crossed.
I will also try to take some pictures of the system board.

1 Like

I also have the same model as @darknblack
https://photos.app.goo.gl/q8KHa9ctMQDTLeTJA

Seller's image arrived by email. uploads and starts the upgrade steps, but fails at the reboot step. 3 LAN leds keep flashing. Looks like the LAN resets every second or so.

Do you have UART usb adapter or raspberry pi?

I don't have any of that right now. Let me see if I can buy or borrow one soon.

Could you guide me on the commands to flash new firmware to this router, after I get a UART serial connection and 'screen' window succefully?
The file to use in tftp is kernel.bin or factory.bin, or the file sent by the supplier?

Here:

Try the one that is sent by the supplier first, if it didn't work then try the factory.bin.

1 Like

Tried many images, many times over from the Uboot flashing web page. All failed. After upload the router falls into some network reset loop, and I con't connect to anything! a 10s press on the reset button will bring back Uboot web page.

I think, I need to do more research in the context of Uboot V.2
Currently, that's what the router presenting me with. Hoping that there must be some way to load plain linux or generic OpenWRT from there.

Could you please try this? This is the OpenWrt firmware that the seller from Alibaba provided me. It worked on my router (Z8103AX-D)

1 Like

Could you send us the (full) boot log?

How can I get the boot log? I can only get to a Uboot web page!!

Which method you used to flash? Uboot webpage or the UART+TFTP method?
I can't figure out the exact commands parameters to use in the serial console. Hence very reluctant to try that method.

Same result. After file upload from Uboot Firmware upgrade screen, the 'Upgrade' button appears, on clicking, the router goes to a reset loop after 5-6 seconds. pressing reset button for 10s brings it back to Uboot Firmware upgrade screen!!

You need to use serial cable in this case and get what appears to you from the console terminal

Here is an Example video

Do you have serial cable? Can you do log collection from UART console?

1 Like

As you stated that the router keeps rebooting, therefore; I do not think you can issue commands except U-Boot commands

I guess that there is a problem happened with the filesysyem after upgrade, but cannot confirm till we see the boot logs

1 Like

Upgrade firmware under Uboot:

1. After powering on the device, press "2" during the uboot countdown, press "y", then press "0", then press "y" again to select the TFTP upgrade method; enter U-Boot's IP (192.168. 1.1), TFTP server's IP (192.168.1.x), IP netmask (255.255.255.0) and firmware name (Z8102AX.bin); input completed Then wait for the program to be automatically uploaded and burned; the interface is as follows: