Xiaomi Wifi Router 3G - 19.07.X / feedback and help

Hi, all, i’d like to share this. I’m using Xiaomi Wifi Router 3G - 19.07.3 for around 3 months and having problems with its 2.4ghz signal strength and stability. Then I tried X-Wrt (openwrt chinese fork), been using it for around 3 months also, and satisfied with the stability and signal strength of 2.4ghz wifi. Anyone here have the same experience as mine ? Can someone from openwrt assess their code for the wireless driver ?

1 Like

Hi there,

just an update. I had to fiddle around with it for what seems to be days... losing LUCI everyonce in a while, reading incomplete or outdated documentation etc. (Is there a good source for some general documentation that is up to date a bit more?), fail safe booting all the time, being plagued by IP address reporting that clearly point to a wrong IP. And of course my lack of knowledge of networking or openwrt did not help the cause much.

In the end while being a pain in butt - I personally would recommend to do an update from 18.06.X to 19.07.X with this device w/ flashing the image and NOT take over any old settings.
So basically starting with a fresh install and setting it up again to your liking and needs.
Needless to say you should keep a good note of your previous setup.

I even got the guest WLAN working (not fully tested but it uses its own subnet) of which I thought to be impossible to manage at times.

So for xiaomi 3G and 19.07 you might better start from scratch.
Just my2cents

ONT

1 Like

Is it me, or openwrt on mir3g sometimes starts introducing huge lags/packet loss, both on ethernet and wifi, until a reboot, even though apparently ram and cpu aren't loaded much?

Are you using 19.07 or master branch? If not using master branch aka snapshots give that a go

Hi.
I want to install OpenWRT on my device.
It's running padavan fw. Can I flash openwrt from padavan without going back to stock?

For info, I've opened that thread Regular kernel faults, maybe due to dnsmasq as that happens on my Xiaomi 3G. If anybody facing the same, he/she's welcome on that thread :slight_smile:

I'm running 19.07.7 , has anyone tried upgrading to this yet?
openwrt-21.02.0-rc3-ramips-mt7621-xiaomi_mi-router-3g-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

answer.... 21.02.0-rc3 works fine so far. sysupgrade needed force flag. U-Boot 1.1.3

the problems with usb3 are fixed with 21.02?

I can check something if you want, what do you need to know?

this issue, thx

Ah. Is that even a fixable thing with software?
Have you tried using a HQ usb3.x extension cable to move your USB3 devices away from the antennas?

what does it have to do with usb3 wifi interferrence?

I was suggesting if you use an extension cable to distance the usb3 drive/device from the antennas, maybe it will help with interference issues. On my notebook , I use an extension cable to plug usb3 drives in , or it messes with the bluetooth mouse and wifi. With the cable, no issue.

WiFi 2.4 GHz
USB3 2.4-2.5GHz
Bluetooth 2.45 GHz