Xiaomi Mi Router 4A Gigabit Edition (R4AG/R4A Gigabit) -- fully supported and flashable with OpenWRTInvasion

Yes.
NAT Offloading On.

NAT Offloading On?

Oke..
Note: at least for mt7621

Yes, this is our device. MT7621
Of course , without a full 1 GBPS bandwidth that speed cannot be achieved.

1 Like

Just thought i'd leave some notes for those trying to setup on the global 10/100 version of the R4AC.

Thanks to excellent contributions from members like @Zorro, hoddy, woody4165 and others, i got my unit going.

WARNING

****DO NOT flash the Chinese-language firmware miwifi r4ac_firmware_e9eec_2.18.58.bin directly! I did unwittingly and I bricked my router. ***

I basically began my process by doing Zorro's recovery process as per below:

When you've got it back to the Chinese firmware, then you can update to the latest Chinese version r4ac_firmware_e9eec_2.18.58.bin manually through the xiaomi web interface.

Following this simply follow Hoddy's excellent video (you will need access to Ubuntu to complete the tutorial) and you're set.

FWIW i'm currently toying with 19.07.4 stable.

3 Likes

Hi @araujorm,
Can this build (19.07.4) install the mwan3 package?

Hi. Try installing with opkg. If it complains it's missing any dependency, check in the zip file and install. If it's not there let me know exactly what that dependency is and I should be able to add it.

1 Like

Thank you so much!

Nice it works on my router

Hey folks, my wifi performance is quite underwhelming considering the advertised 800mbps (AC). I'm basically maxxing out here at 130mbps - tested through iperf laptop to phone centimeters away from router over 5ghz - and wondering whether there's any tweaks I can do to reach 2-300mbps like some other people seem to have achieved. My phone's a 2x2 OnePlus 7pro and laptops a XPS 13 9360 also with 2x2. Running openwrt latest stable build.

Any favourable comparisons woody4165?

First of all, too close to a WiFi access point is actually detrimental to performance. 50-100 cm is usually ideal. Second of all, these 300+ (I am even seeing higher than 400 mbit/s) tests are always done with ONE wireless client and ONE wired client. WiFi is half-duplex, meaning it can only send or receive, not both at the same time. If you run your test between two wireless devices it needs to switch between sending and retrieving very quickly many times a second. At best, you'll see half your performance. But at worst, the penalty will be even larger because it needs to switch between sending and receiving so many times.

Makes sense. FWIW I upped my streams to 10 and managed 230-250mbps computer to phone and about 180-200mbps phone to computer. Previously I'd only really tested phone to computer - what a difference that makes! With actual file transfers I've managed around 20-25MB/s computer to phone, and 15-20MB/s phone to computer, all through an ftp server running on phone.

My only gripe here is that seeing as these things are marketed as 'Wireless' APs, with the assumption being that all devices will be connected wirelessly, it's kind of a gross overstatement to list a figure like 856mbps when you're topping at 150-200mbps in a truly wireless configuration,... buuut i guess this isn't the place for that kind of criticism :joy:

If that is still wireless-to-wireless, then your access point is actually pushing 460-520 mbit/s (in the 230-250 case), since it has to receive that data AND send that data. The 866 mbit/s is a theoretical figure that would be physically possible in the best possible scenario. Getting ~40-50% of that figure is already REALLY good, and you are getting close to 60% of those figures. That's nothing to sneeze at and REALLY solid performance.

Practical performance not even coming close to theoretical performance is just part of WiFi. All WiFi products have that. Your setup seems to be performing exceptionally well.

@Zorro Please Help! Mi Router 4a (R4AC) bricked during downgrading. Steady Orange LED and can't access the login page. Tried your this method but stuck here. Nothing happening. image

Hello please help me.
I have r4a gigabit edition Global
Exploit works
when rebooting after flashing system-upgrade.bin
it bricks
When i tried the initfs-kernel it works but when installing the system-upgrade via mtd i found that there is no kernel partition. I tried to update it too via system update on luci but it always bricks.

The only thing that works for me is the snapshot build from this forum but i want to try backports build please help me I tried upgrading from snapshot to backports it also bricks.

Snapshot build was the only one that works for me

I tried araujorm,bit-byte and zorro firmware but no luck.

Note: the kernel.bin is working but when i will flash the systemupgrade it says cant open kernel for writing and i tried to cat there is no kernel :frowning:

Today, after 3 days uptime, it seems the device has rebooted, because I have 4 hours uptime and no electricity problem
Unfortunately I cannot see any log, there isn't anyway to debug the problem?
Latest 19.07.4 @araujorm build.

If the device crashed and rebooted by itself, openwrt should have left a crashlog in memory. If you ssh to the router does the following command show anything?

cat /sys/kernel/debug/crashlog

Unfortunately, for the moment only I can have access to device only from my phone.
This is what I get from ConnectBot, it is an incomplete log.
When I will have pc access, I will look again in this problem.
LE: kernel log is clear, no errors, from what i see, logging is after device rebooted...

Bro please help me. I cant install any openwrt firmware beside the Snapshot from OpenWRT. I tried your sysupgrade but no luck then I tried the kernel when i booted on openwrt itried to install the sysupgrade but there is no partition named "kernel"