Xiaomi AX3600 Configuration

Hi All,

Based on the https://openwrt.org/toh/xiaomi/ax3600 instructions i installed and running openwrt but im pretty much running vanilla.

is there any configuration document or just the basic things to do for a daily runner ? i use this router only for wifi and use opnsense for firewall etc.

i also noticed wireless is disabled on every reboot.. how to fix this ?

plus by default channel 36 is getting selected for 2 of the 3 radios. should i change it ?

so you want to configure this as a dumb AP

This sounds like you may not have the right image installed. What exact file did you install? If you're working with the initramfs or kernel images, you probably just need to upgrade using the 'sysupgrade' image and things should be persistent from there.

https://firmware-selector.openwrt.org/?version=23.05.0-rc3&target=ipq807x%2Fgeneric&id=xiaomi_ax3600

thanks. but im getting error

root@OpenWrt:~# service wpad stop
root@OpenWrt:~# sysupgrade -n /tmp/openwrt-23.05.0-rc3-ipq807x-generic-xiaomi_ax
3600-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
Tue Aug 29 17:32:22 UTC 2023 upgrade: Image metadata not present
Tue Aug 29 17:32:22 UTC 2023 upgrade: Use sysupgrade -F to override this check when downgrading or flashing to vendor firmware
Image check failed.
root@OpenWrt:~# sysupgrade -n /tmp/openwrt-23.05.0-rc3-ipq807x-generic-xiaomi_ax
3600-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
Tue Aug 29 17:32:51 UTC 2023 upgrade: Commencing upgrade. Closing all shell sessions.
Command failed: Connection failed
root@OpenWrt:~#

what is installed currently?

ubus call system board

Even though it errored it is displaying the new version i think. Also with restart my wireless was active.

not sure. Also, which channel i should select

i see 3 radio, 2 have both 2.4 and 5g and 1 5g. any configuration reference for it ? or shall i copy the wireless from the dump ap

root@OpenWrt:~# ubus call system board
{
        "kernel": "5.15.127",
        "hostname": "OpenWrt",
        "system": "ARMv8 Processor rev 4",
        "model": "Xiaomi AX3600",
        "board_name": "xiaomi,ax3600",
        "rootfs_type": "squashfs",
        "release": {
                "distribution": "OpenWrt",
                "version": "23.05.0-rc3",
                "revision": "r23389-5deed175a5",
                "target": "ipq807x/generic",
                "description": "OpenWrt 23.05.0-rc3 r23389-5deed175a5"
        }
}
root@OpenWrt:~#

That looks up to date.

Make sure that setings are persistent across reboots before worrying about hte specifics of each radio's detailed configuration.

Yes it is. i manually turned off the router and it came back up with radio enabled

ok... good.

As for the radio config, you only need one in each band for most typical use cases. I suspect that the situation on that device is that there is a dedicated radio for 5G, and then 2 radios that can operate in either 2G or 5G (but not both simultaneously)... (I could be wrong about this, but I think that's the deal here).

Unless you are doing anything unusual, usually you'll setup one SSID that will be linked with the lan, and you'll have that same SSID on both 5G and 2G. You can choose which radios to use for this -- it's not that critical. The 3rd radio can be disabled.

1 Like

i enabled all 3... selected auto for the channel and selected 160 band.. it auto selected a channel.

any other settings i need to do ? in LAN i dont get 940 mbps ... i get 940 with direct connectivity. now getting only 430 or so. my opnsense cable is connected as internet to the router

You generally will not get gigabit speeds over wifi for many reasons -- environmental as well as device level capabilities (AP and sta side).

You can increase your channel width to 80MHz on 5G (or 160MHz if supported) -- this will increase speeds, but at the risk of lower performance due to noise/interference since you're using large swaths of bandwidth rather than more narrow bands. Personally, I have favored stability over speed, so I run 20 MHz 2.4G and 40MHz 5G radio settings.

1 Like

install usteer and keeping the 5g and 2.4g ssid as same is better or keeping the ssid different is better? i disabled the radio 0 based on another thread. it was IoT antenna

usteer with one ap is overkill or maybe even obsolete, I guess. Keep it simple, in the beginning, would I suggest.

The Xiaomi 3600 has:

• one dedicated 4x4 wifi6 2.4 GHz radio
  • one dedicated 4x4 wifi6 5 GHz radio
  • one dedicated 1x1 wifi5 'IoT' radio that can either be tuned into 2.4- XOR 5 GHz (dual-band, but not concurrent dual-band)
    for all practical intents and purposes, this radio is 'useless' (1x1 ~= very slow) and is better left disabled, to reduce the interference for the real (fast) radios.
    yes, there can be nice use cases (that don't need speed) for this nevertheless, but that's nothing to bother about on day one.
2 Likes

Cool... thanks for the additional info here.

The 1x1 radio really does sound nearly useless, but is indeed a good IoT radio for things like small sensors, lights and other low bandwidth devices... but only if they are unable to connect to the main radios for some reason.

In addition the IOT radio is not AX capable but restricted to AC, thus being "more compatible" with earlier standards. Just my opinion.

1 Like

Each successive standard is nominally backwards compatible with the previous, but sometimes old devices have issues. In particular, WPA3 is not available on many IoT devices and WPA2/3 mixed mode operation tends to cause those devices to experience issues connecting. Further, things like 802.11k/r/v tend to also cause problems with older devices (and even current ones). So rather than viewing this as a "more compatible" radio, I'd think of it as one that can be used with options that are optimized for inexpensive embedded devices.

1 Like

But the problem here is with WPA3 (or WPA2-WPA3 mixed mode in particular), not 802.11ax. There is no problem connecting devices down to 802.11g (802.11b just needs enabling a software knob in OpenWrt) to your shiny 802.11ax AP (and I do that, regularly, ath5k, ipw2200, rt73, rt61, bcm4306/3, bcm4318; PRISM2.5 or rtl8180l if I really want to test 802.11b (I refuse to regress below WPA2PSK/CCMP, so at76c503a is sadly not an option anymore)).

To sort out these client-side interoperability issues, you're better suited to spawn one dedicated WPA2PSK/CCMP ESSID and a dedicated WPA3SAE ESSID on the same wifi6 radio(s), than pulling the 1x1 wifi5 'IoT' radio into it.

for me 5G is constantly turning off.. i dont know whats the issue... also can i go back to stock firmware ?

try to disable radio0 and only use radio1/2. the radio0 IoT does more harm than use.

Yes. Now Radio is not showing as disabled still no device able to connect to it. if i enable the iot device , devices are able to connect to the iot device.

5G radio is not working for some weird reason. SSID is showin but not able to connect to it