I acquired a used AX3600 and got most recent OpenWRT snapshot ( OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r22496-d98c8fc06d )
Right now I did a speed test with 2 devices (Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 8265 + 1x Google Pixel 3a, both Wifi 5 afaik) connected to it. In the middle of the speed test, one wifi connection (Google Pixel 3A) dropped and came back a few seconds later while the second wifi connection (Intel Wifi 8265) only stopped transmitting any data for a few seconds.
(the phone, ae:... and 96:... has mac randomization turned on, the computer is d4:... and did not even create any log entries in that time frame). There is no further errors above or below, wifi works again afterwards.. AP Settings:
(after I opened the package with the AX3600, i immediately thought its test-ssid must be named the_beast)
I somehow got the impression this AP is production ready - it does not seem so Can I do something?
I figured something out:
When I run speedtest (dslreports.com) on PC and ookla on phone and then turn off the wifi on the phone, I get an error: [12912.077164] ath11k c000000.wifi: failed to flush transmit queue, data pkts pending 5
and at the same time there is no throughput on the computer for a few seconds.
Thanks for pointing to that "bug", i have my doubts if that is related... As I don't have the build environment set up, I cannot easily try it out If someone provides a sysupgrade, I am happy to test. Otherwise I guess it might be firmware related so we are in the hands of the gods?
I'd be also interested in knowing if others just don't notice this problem or if it is something new? To me, this makes wifi unusable as I don't want interruptions in video conferences Is there somewhere an archive for older snapshots available?
For now, I might get 2x Xiaomi AX3200 which seems to me the device with the best price tag (in germany, where you even pay 58€ for this)
With r22496-d98c8fc06d i have the problem that disconnecting a client under load (my google phone running "ookla speedtest") stopped any traffic on the wifi for a few seconds (see opening post).
I could 100% reliably reproduce this.
After downgrading to r22446-1c552eb44d from the link above (my own build failed..) which looks like it is the corresponding snapshot build + a few packages not related to wifi, I can not reproduce the problem anymore: I can disconnect my phone while doing a speedtest repeatedly and other clients are not impacted nor do I get a transmit queue flush failure in the log.
the ath11k patch that restores 160 MHz support (but I don't think this is the cause as I tried on 80 MHz with and without beamforming)
then there is this: d54c91bd9ab3c54ee06923eafbd67047816a37e4 patch that says it is fixing vulnerabilities but contains a whole bunch of patches to mac80211 including some "flush the tx buffer on client disconnect" which sounds like it could be connected to my problem
Unfortunately I don't really have a build system setup and on my laptop it takes ages, but I could try to bisect the responsible commit...
Problem is how ath11k works with buffer... I need to check what data ieee80211 provide
The tx buffer in ath11k is global so there isn't a clear separation of buffer related to one client... Doing that change is doable but require a big rework of the driver... Good thing is that there is already a problem in how the tx ring works so I already had to mess with that.
I retested current master and the issues are gone. I am a bit confused if fw upgrade 2.9 fixed it as well as I thought I tested before. Anyway, current snapshot runs great, I easily get 600 Mbps with my 2-stream AC laptop behind 1 wall... Nice Thanks for all the great work and I am happy that somehow this radio is also working great.
When taking the "802.11ax speed problems" that some people describe with the mediatek radios into account, I wonder if we should actually recommend the AX3600 more - great pricepoint & performance.