Would OpenWRT slow my internet speed down?

Hey. I checked what I can do with my modem and I think there is no pass-through mode. I just got a bridge mode, a port forwarding mode and a band pass mode (I don't know the exact translation).

Hey. I found something like this:
https://www.sahibinden.com/ilan/ikinci-el-ve-sifir-alisveris-bilgisayar-cevre-birimleri-fritzbox-7520-vdsl-fiber-modem-sifir-kutusunda-1137824188/detay

To be honest, price is doubled compared to AX23. Is there a big difference between them? If so, I can mind buying Fritzbox.

Typically a bridged modem can be made to work with an openwrt router, if you know a few things about how to configure the link, often PPPoE username and password as well as any VLAN your ISP expects.

Oh the only reason for the fritzbox would be if you would need to buy a new modem, otherwise it is okay, but not great. I use a Fritzbox 7520 as bridged modem under OpenWrt in front of my router, but if you have a working modem then other devices might be better. I have no experience with/opinon on the AX23.

Depends on what bridge mode does, sometimes it is DHCP, sometimes pppoe, sometimes vlan etc. Just save for yourself screenshots of DSL config/status to repeat parts of that in OpenWRT IF NEEDED....
You reset device to defaults and get where you started in NAT mode.

Well a bridge mode really just bridges the DSL interface with an ethernet port, anything else like DHCP or PPPoE will just 'flow' through the bridge...
That said, well possible that what is advertised in a modem router's GUI as bridge mode, might not actually be a bridge mode...

OP can reset CPE and go with double-nat if nothing else helps.

1 Like

How about the latency @brada4 is mentioned? If I connect the router to the modem via bridge mode, how would latency rates would me? I mean, I know it may be impossible to know at the moment but I want to ask if not having pass-through mode is a problem or not.

Firstly, I had 18hr ban because I am a new user lol. I have a working modem. I searched a lot about AX23 and other routers. I created a post on TP-Link forum and asked if I could use SQM with AX23 and surprisingly a guy said that device is not supporting SQM but I could use QoS. Other than that I added some other routers to my list such as Xiaomi AX3200, Archer VR2600, Netgear R7800, Armor Z2 and Armor G5. Some of them are really expensive compared to others and I am not sure if there is a big difference between them. All I want is a stabilized connection without bufferbloat.

The bridge mode is same passthrough, so that providers device does as little as possible. Just that you dont know in advance how close to dsl line you will need to configure openwrt.
ie vlan, pppoe etc.

Only run in i had with this was that after setting passthrough ethernet was pppoe client, then after rebooting cpe it magically dhcp-ed public ip.

1 Like

So typically a real bridge mode should be plenty fast, we talk about less then a milliscond here, so I am sure that this is not going to be the make-or-break added latency... Really from my perspective PPPoE passthrough is the less desirable option, but even that should be fast enough. That said, I have not actually tried to measure that so in reality I might be wrong.

About the AX23, as I said I have no experience and hence no opinion.

It seems to be a dual core MIPS at 880 MHz, so nothing super fast... not sure whether this could handle sqm at 100 + 8 Mbps, but something like 60-70 might be possible...

It is a different name for same thing.

1 Like

Thanks guys. You gave me the important perspectives here. Made me understand the main points.

You have any idea about these devices? Also about RT-AC88U and AX53?

AX always better, AX53U aka AX1800U (note U, device without U is not supported) works fine 500/500 though i got 10+10ms latency by default got 8+3ms with SQM (with RT-AX54 which is same with 1 more gigabit lan port)

I have a question. I think I am going to buy AX53U. I searched a bit about it and realized that you need to enable SSH before installing OpenWrt. There is two options, LAN only and LAN&WAN. Now the question is, what is the basic difference between them?

I am using a laptop and will use the router without a cable plugged into my laptop. Should I choose LAN&WAN or is this something unrelated?

And I am just curious about Merlin. What about installing Merlin to AX53U and using SQM via Merlin?

SSH is a checkbox in OEM interface. Enable on LAN only port 22. Same user+password as you set on web interface like admin@... To stay on windows the command line ssh can be plink from putty.
No Merlin

1 Like

Guys I think I am going to buy Armor G5, which is an AX as @brada4 suggested.
Plus, it also has a strong hardware I think which means if I have a 1 Gbps internet in the future, I can keep using SQM with Armor G5.
Well, the main point is that installing OpenWrt to this device is a bit hard. I mean, it is very easy to follow the instructions on the OpenWrt website and it is really easy to install but problem starts if your device's stock firmware version is ABSK.8 or higher. At that point, you need to open the device physically and connect a serial port cable which I really do not want to do. I am very afraid of harming the device or doing something that is hard to recover.
Is it possible that you guys help me with installing OpenWrt to this router once I buy one?
Lastly, I couldn't find what is the device's current firmware at the moment. Can you guys help me finding out that if the stock firmware version is ABSK.8 or not?

Only caveat that for first few months you will be using snapshot (add luci-ssl luci-mod-admin-full for typical experience)

I didn't understand a word.

Not sure Arm a53 will allow SQM at 1Gbps, that really depends on the memory system... but it certainly will reach higher than all MIPS routers...

I have zero experience with that device, so I am unlikely to be of any real help, sorry.

2 Likes

No worries. It is alright. To be honest r7800 is also an option and installing OpenWrt to that device is waayy much easier. The only problem is r7800 is a wifi 5 device. Do you think it would be a problem? My modem is a wifi 6 device. The only point I want to buy Armor G5 is that it is a wifi 6 device.