Would OpenWRT slow my internet speed down?

You will have to start with snapshot release until new major release is out.
Install guide is doable using Windows without screwdriver.
https://openwrt.org/inbox/toh/zyxel/nbg7815_armor_g5
i.e you update to OEM release or later than indicated, get SSH access and flash OpenWRT. Or wait for release runing OEM software.

That install guide is for the people whose devices' stock firmware is ABSK.6 or ABSK.7

If you have a stock firmware ABSK.8 or higher (which will be mine stock firmware because once I buy a new Armor G5 it automatically upgrades stock firmware to ABSK.8, as far as I learned from a forum.) then you need to use a screwdriver and connect a serial port cable and try to have a full luci access. And this is the part that I don't understand the most.

Only if you let it... unless the firmware is already >= ABSK.8 likelihood is that it will download the most recent version over the internet before it can update. So just not connect it to the internet and start the OpenWrt installation...
In theory you might also be able to downgrade the installed firmware, but Zyxel might be too clever for that (allowing to downgrade firmware images ist not ideal from a security perspective of a vendor.)

1 Like

Do not connect WAN and it will not auto-upgrade.
Seems recovery to older OEM is also possible same way as revert to OEM...

I am reading a Turkish forum on installing OpenWrt to Armor G5 and the author of the guide said that you are not able to see router interface unless you are connected to internet. And once you are connected to internet, router automatically installs firmware... Seems like there is no way to run from it. He states that if you are currently on the ABSK.6 or ABSK.7 versions, you can install OpenWrt without needing a serial port cable. But once you upgrade your firmware to ABSK.8, you will need to open your device physically.

By using the snapshot release, I still will be able to use SQM, right? The whole point is to get rid of bufferbloat afterall.

Loop cable from lan to wan, maybe router considers that valid internet.

Yes, absolutely, just that web interface is not preinstalled.