What's your favourite cheap LEDE/OpenWrt device?

Get the Netgear R6220 for INR 1999/-.

I hope its a small "upgrade" from Asus RT-AC51U to NETGEAR R6220
i decided to buy NETGEAR R6220 for 25 EUR

good?

1 Like

R6220 has poor wireless coverage.
And there are three different models under the same name. Make sure you get the correct firmware for your device.

Have bought a asus rt-ac68u yesterday too. used for a price of 50 EUR.
maybe this one is better^^

1 Like

50 € isn't really "cheap" by most people's standards. That mid-price range is addressed nicely in

and following. If you have specific questions about the RT-AC68U or alternatives (which has the "limited support for Broadcom wireless" warning on its wiki page), starting a new thread would help those looking for information specific to that model. You should be aware that

"limited" in this case means (using b43, as there are no alternatives for the BCM4360 chipset):

• limited to 54 MBit/s
    • no HT rates supported
    • no 802.11n (aka greenfield mode)
    • no 802.11ac
  • not very reliable or stable operations

I can't imagine any use case involving wlan operations where the Asus RT-AC68U could be under consideration for running OpenWrt - and no, this situation is extremely unlikely to change in the future.

2 Likes

i bought another good device
netgear r7800 (x4s) nighthawk because of better openwrt support
ac68u runs with freshtomato (shibby fork)

3 posts were split to a new topic: Add OpenWrt support for NanoPi R1

I also hang my WiFi sometimes.

Forgive me if I misunderstand, but does the BCM4360 not have closed-source drivers?

My setup:
Netgear DM200 running OpenWrt;
Xiaomi Mi 3G running PandoraBox (I hope that OpenWrt will be on the same level, so that I can switch to it, otherwise the WiFi signal will be too weak to be usable for me (multiple concrete walls in my house, thicker than usual));
Xiaomi Mi 3 running X-Wrt(?) (this is not the same X-Wrt that has existed for years, this is a chinese one that relies on OpenWrt's official snapshots servers, and apparently contributes to the community (they are also on GitHub) (x-wrt.com). I intend to ask about them), acting as an extender (reverted from Padavan to stock, but PandoraBox was unstable on it, and then I fount the aforementioned X-Wrt, where it is running beautifully).

For anyone wondering, right now the best case scenario for reception from the Xiaomi Mi 3G to the Mi 3 here is ~64%, up from ~%52 with the TP-Link RE200 (there is no better place to place them in the house, the locations of the power or telephone (for the DM200) outlets in the house, make this the best case scenario).
From my room to the Mi 3, the reception is up to ~67%, up from ~%52 with the RE200.

By the way, compared to the prices in my country, the Mi 3G is very cheap (generally the prices for semi-capable routers start from roughly 2x of the Mi 3G's price, and the reception is much weaker with them (had used a TP-Link TD-W9970, (cheapest semi-capable VDSL2 router by a respectable margin, at roughly 2x the price after discount), the Netgear VEGN2600 (ISP provided, no purchases anymore, only rentals), as well as a few other routers, both ISP-provided and not (I have a TP-Link TD-W8961ND, which is more expensive than the 3G, but the ADSL2 (yes) port has malfunctioned since the beginning, and I did not realize it until much later).
And yes, we have WiFi only routers, but 2.4Ghz only routers are more expensive than the 3G here. Fun fact: the DM200 cost roughly the equivalent of ~$75 over here, with the exact same model from Amazon UK costs, including shipping (no free or reduced shipping to my country from any Amazon site), roughly the equivalent of ~$45.

No, the ancient broadcom-wl does not cover it.

1 Like

I was wondering weather the 2.4GHz problem is not present in X-Wrt as they are using the same drivers? No lags in the internet connection?

Where can i get R6220 for that price( Rs 1999)?

Assuming you're talking about https://github.com/x-wrt/x-wrt
there isn't much different from what OpenWrt provides, based the 50 commits returned by

git log --format=oneline x-wrt/master ^openwrt/master
1 Like

Flipkart/Amazon; Check during offer periods.

1 Like

Is netgear R6120 a viable alternative for Rs 2100 as i can find R6220 for rs 2900 only?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M1B5T2W --> https://wikidevi.com/wiki/HooToo_HT-ND001 --> https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/commit/30a7ab8f61c8a5f1a4428f8c7cf9a1d6a12b096b ? :slight_smile:

[Edit: The device diizzy linked is only] US$24 !!

Specification:
- SoC: MediaTek MT7621A (880 MHz)
- Flash: 16 MiB
- RAM: 128 MiB
- Wireless: 2.4Ghz(MT7602EN) and 5Ghz (MT7612EN)
- Ethernet speed: 10/100/1000
- Ethernet ports: 4+1
- 1x USB 3.0
- 1x microSD reader
- Serial baud rate of Bootloader and factory firmware: 57600

If I didn't already have three routers on my desk...

2 Likes

What are they? [edit, answered above, pity amazon won't ship item to Aus]