VLAN not passing to cheap devices

I went through a large learning curve back in the May/June timeframe trying to move to OpenWRT (from DD-wrt) because of the DSA implementation. I use pfSense as my main router and OpenWRT on 4 dumb APs that I wanted to pass a "guest" VLAN on to a Guest WiFi SSID using a Backhaul connection to my Dumb APs. Help was spotty but I got it done working with one of the support folks at pfSense who understood OpenWRT pretty well. The fix was in a snapshot of 22 and the RCs for 23. I waited to deploy it until a 23 stable was out and all is working well. But, I wanted to use the same process with another VLAN to run a set of IP cameras to out buildings on my property using ethernet and not WiFi. It seems to work well as long as I plug a laptop or a computer into the tagged port 4, but when I plug in one of these cheap cameras (I've bought 2 different ones), they just won't get a connection or an IP address from the pfSense based VLAN interface and DHCP server. Oddly, if I plug them into one of the other ports on the native PVID 1 on the dumb AP, they work.

Since this process on Port 4 works for Laptops and PC connections, I think it's configured correctly but maybe I don't.
Any ideas on what could be amiss between a quality NIC and the one built into a cheap camera?

Here's what my config looks like internally and on the GUI:
(WAN port is added to the LAN and used as the backhaul connection)
(all Dumb APs are Linksys WRT3200ACMs)
(port 4 used for passing VLAN )20

T:~# bridge v
port              vlan-id
lan4              1 Egress Untagged
                  20 PVID
lan3              1 PVID Egress Untagged
lan2              1 PVID Egress Untagged
lan1              1 PVID Egress Untagged
wan               1 PVID Egress Untagged
br-lan            1
wlan0             1 PVID Egress Untagged
wlan1             1 PVID Egress Untagged
wlan1-2           20 PVID Egress Untagged

Your cameras are probably not VLAN aware. Therefore they will not work with a tagged network. You need to remove the u for VLAN 1 on port lan4 (make it just a -), and then change the VLAN 20 to be u*.

That should make VLAN 20 the only network associated with that port, and it will be untagged -- suitable for most end equipment.

4 Likes

Thank you Sir. Looking back at my config notes, I had implemented both of those settings, just not at the same time. Working fine now.

For those following or need to know what the correct config looks like, here it is:

T:~# bridge v
port              vlan-id
lan4              20 PVID Egress Untagged
lan3              1 PVID Egress Untagged
lan2              1 PVID Egress Untagged
lan1              1 PVID Egress Untagged
wan               1 PVID Egress Untagged
br-lan            1
wlan0             1 PVID Egress Untagged
wlan1             1 PVID Egress Untagged
wlan1-2           20 PVID Egress Untagged

Awesome! Glad I could help.

If your problem is solved, please consider marking this topic as [Solved]. See How to mark a topic as [Solved] for a short how-to.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.