Virtualbox image ready for development somewhere?

Hi,

Anyone made a virtualbox ready image for development? Or is there a script for debian or other to get all the requirements?

Thanks!

For Debian 9 -- Edit: base install, no graphical environment, allow at least 32 GB, 64 GB "expandable" is safer.

sudo apt install build-essential git gitk libncurses5-dev gawk unzip wget curl ccache rsync zlib1g-dev

Edit: gitk probably isn't required, but I find it so helpful that it's included.

Totally optional, though might be helpful for current versions of git format-patch and git send-email
(assuming here that overwriting /etc/apt/sources.list.d/backports.list is OK)

echo "deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian stretch-backports main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/backports.list
sudo apt update
sudo apt -t stretch-backports upgrade git
sudo apt autoremove   # Optional to clean up disk space
sudo apt autoclean    # Optional to clean up disk space
1 Like

If you want to use Alpine Linux (quite quick to pick up upstream compared to Debian) and usually a smaller in general

It does feel snappier than my Debian install but it might be placebo FWIW

ccache isn't needed at all and rsync would be optional :slight_smile:

1 Like

I speed my work with

CONFIG_DEVEL=y
CONFIG_BUILD_LOG=y
CONFIG_CCACHE=y
CONFIG_DOWNLOAD_FOLDER="/home/jeff/devel/openwrt_dl"

the last since I have multiple build trees going. But yes, ccache isn't required.

I've never found anything that I build to require subversion, but the buildbots try to build every available package.

@jeff since I had Debian, I tried to set it up your way. This was my first time and overall it went pretty well. Just finished compiling, will test with sysupgrade tomorrow!

@diizzy thanks for all the tips, I'll keep that in mind for future builds.

Overall, building in a VM with 4 cores was pretty slow, but I just read in the FAQ I can tell make to use multithreads (jobs), will try that next time :

make -j 5

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.