Meraki MR16 - Noob to Unix - please help

HI There,
I'm very new to UNIX, but very Windows and Infrastructure Literate.
After following several different threads for how to set up the build environment - I fail :frowning:
Sorry to ask.. and I know some people HAVE had difficulty in doing this. but....
Has anyone actually done a drains up - dummies guide to building the "unix environment".
for example.
(i use vmware) - Install Ubuntu / or what ever.
Update by typing......
Sudo Apt-Get bah blah blah
CD into what directory and when?
How do I create a package with ONLY the drivers for my MR16?

Sorry - I know it's a pain, but I really want to learn... and I'm struggling at the moment.

please :-:pray:

@xpuser8334, welcome to the community.

• First, Linux (which OpenWrt uses) and Unix are different.
  • Next, I moved this thread to the for Developers section for you.

Have you seen the developer's guide?

I use Debian (as Ubuntu has become too "helpful" for me). The amd64 CD from https://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/#stable should be sufficient. While logged into the console as root, enabling ssh (during install is easiest), apt get sudo and editing /etc/sudoers (probably with nano) to contain

# Allow members of group sudo to execute any command
%sudo	ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL

and adding your user to the sudo group is helpful so you can SSH into the box/VM. See https://www.howtogeek.com/50787/add-a-user-to-a-group-or-second-group-on-linux/ for example.

You should never use sudo with any OpenWrt build!

With sudo you can administer the box/VM from a terminal session, rather than the "console" window.

The apt get line in the post below is what I use, though it could be pared down a tiny bit. If you don't have "bare metal" available, two cores for a VM will almost halve your ongoing build times. Four or more is good, if you can spare them.

HI There - Thanks.... I've read the website for the last 2 weeks...
and to be honest.... I wish I had spent my last 20 yrs in IT using Linux - instead of Windows and Cisco.. maybe I wouldn't feel so dumb :frowning:
I will look again at the developers section - although - if someone had the files to Include LuCi for a Meraki M12 / M16 tht would probably be exeptionaly useful, so I didnt have to compile them while not knowing what to do.
Thanks for the responses so far - I appreciate them.

As I recall, from within make menuconfig it’s LuCI > Collections, luci-nginx-ssl to get a secure, robust server. That will bring in the dependencies required.

Thanks Jeff....
But..... I tried 3 times, did the cleanup in between each time, and the "make" failed after an hour of scrolling trxt in make V=s mode.

I'm just building the Debian VM - 4GB / 4Cores / 30GB Disk - and will have a go there.
can I be cheeky and ask if anyone has the commands to get the build environment up - in order?
I#m really wanting to learn this... but getting the cross compiling / build envirnoment up has literally had me fail at the first hurdle :frowning:

git clone https://git.openwrt.org/openwrt/openwrt.git
cd openwrt
./scripts/feeds update -a
./scripts/feeds install -a
make menuconfig
make 

Or, that last line probably can be

make -j4 clean download world 

or -j5 with a four-core machine

is that al I need from a vanilla debian build?
I've struggled like hell on Ubuntu and use the lines above...
will give it a go - Thanks @jeff
Still waiting for Debian to finish installing - lol :slight_smile:

With the apt install from prior post, yes.

I think you’re installing too much Debian. It seems to take 5-10 min at most for me. No graphical user environment required.

ok - so... Riptidewave99 has a collection for the MR12-MR16 that people recommend using.... so I tried using it - obviously incorrectly! -
the MR12-MR16 is a build of Chaos_Charmer, LuCI and the Drivers for the AR71xx.. i tried following the "destructions" but obviously not too well - lol

Thanks @jeff

W

(Debian) - doing updates and installing them...
BUT... i'm a GUI monkey... - lol

seem to have some dependencies missing...
are these needed??

well... here goes..... running "make -j4 clean download world"

Cheers
W

Hmmm - Failed again :frowning:

.a(cmListCommand.cxx.o): In function `cmListCommand::HandleTransformCommand(std::vector<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, std::allocator<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > > > const&)':
cmListCommand.cxx:(.text+0x457e): undefined reference to `cmStringReplaceHelper::cmStringReplaceHelper(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, cmMakefile*)'
libCMakeLib.a(cmCommands.cxx.o): In function `GetScriptingCommands(cmState*)':
cmCommands.cxx:(.text+0xf57): undefined reference to `vtable for cmReturnCommand'
cmCommands.cxx:(.text+0xfee): undefined reference to `vtable for cmSeparateArgumentsCommand'
cmCommands.cxx:(.text+0x1096): undefined reference to `vtable for cmSetCommand'
cmCommands.cxx:(.text+0x1120): undefined reference to `vtable for cmSetDirectoryPropertiesCommand'
cmCommands.cxx:(.text+0x11cb): undefined reference to `cmSetPropertyCommand::cmSetPropertyCommand()'
cmCommands.cxx:(.text+0x122e): undefined reference to `vtable for cmSiteNameCommand'
cmCommands.cxx:(.text+0x12a9): undefined reference to `vtable for cmStringCommand'
cmCommands.cxx:(.text+0x16fb): undefined reference to `vtable for cmRemoveCommand'
libCMakeLib.a(cmCommands.cxx.o): In function `GetProjectCommands(cmState*)':
cmCommands.cxx:(.text+0x2e63): undefined reference to `vtable for cmProjectCommand'
cmCommands.cxx:(.text+0x2ef9): undefined reference to `vtable for cmSetSourceFilesPropertiesCommand'
cmCommands.cxx:(.text+0x2fc8): undefined reference to `vtable for cmSetTargetPropertiesCommand'
cmCommands.cxx:(.text+0x3085): undefined reference to `vtable for cmSetTestsPropertiesCommand'
cmCommands.cxx:(.text+0x3127): undefined reference to `vtable for cmSubdirCommand'
cmCommands.cxx:(.text+0x31da): undefined reference to `vtable for cmTargetCompileDefinitionsCommand'
cmCommands.cxx:(.text+0x32c0): undefined reference to `vtable for cmTargetCompileFeaturesCommand'
cmCommands.cxx:(.text+0x33a3): undefined reference to `vtable for cmTargetCompileOptionsCommand'
cmCommands.cxx:(.text+0x3482): undefined reference to `vtable for cmTargetIncludeDirectoriesCommand'
cmCommands.cxx:(.text+0x354b): undefined reference to `vtable for cmTargetLinkLibrariesCommand'
cmCommands.cxx:(.text+0x3607): undefined reference to `vtable for cmTargetSourcesCommand'
cmCommands.cxx:(.text+0x3f96): undefined reference to `vtable for cmTargetLinkOptionsCommand'
cmCommands.cxx:(.text+0x4072): undefined reference to `vtable for cmTargetLinkDirectoriesCommand'
cmCommands.cxx:(.text+0x4262): undefined reference to `vtable for cmQTWrapUICommand'
cmCommands.cxx:(.text+0x42fb): undefined reference to `vtable for cmRemoveDefinitionsCommand'
cmCommands.cxx:(.text+0x439f): undefined reference to `vtable for cmSourceGroupCommand'
cmCommands.cxx:(.text+0x468d): undefined reference to `vtable for cmSubdirDependsCommand'
libCMakeLib.a(cmFindPackageCommand.cxx.o): In function `cmFindPackageCommand::CheckPackageRegistryEntry(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, cmSearchPath&)':
cmFindPackageCommand.cxx:(.text+0x4c2): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::AddPath(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)'
cmFindPackageCommand.cxx:(.text+0x4ea): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::AddPath(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)'
libCMakeLib.a(cmFindPackageCommand.cxx.o): In function `cmFindPackageCommand::FillPrefixesUserHints()':
cmFindPackageCommand.cxx:(.text+0x351b): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::AddUserPath(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)'
libCMakeLib.a(cmFindPackageCommand.cxx.o): In function `cmFindPackageCommand::FillPrefixesUserGuess()':
cmFindPackageCommand.cxx:(.text+0x35fb): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::AddUserPath(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)'
libCMakeLib.a(cmFindPackageCommand.cxx.o): In function `cmFindPackageCommand::FillPrefixesPackageRoot()':
cmFindPackageCommand.cxx:(.text+0x370b): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::AddPath(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)'
libCMakeLib.a(cmFindPackageCommand.cxx.o): In function `cmFindPackageCommand::FillPrefixesCMakeSystemVariable()':
cmFindPackageCommand.cxx:(.text+0x385c): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::AddCMakePath(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)'
cmFindPackageCommand.cxx:(.text+0x3899): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::AddCMakePath(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)'
cmFindPackageCommand.cxx:(.text+0x38d6): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::AddCMakePath(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)'
libCMakeLib.a(cmFindPackageCommand.cxx.o): In function `cmFindPackageCommand::FillPrefixesCMakeVariable()':
cmFindPackageCommand.cxx:(.text+0x39fc): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::AddCMakePath(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)'
cmFindPackageCommand.cxx:(.text+0x3a39): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::AddCMakePath(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)'
libCMakeLib.a(cmFindPackageCommand.cxx.o):cmFindPackageCommand.cxx:(.text+0x3a76): more undefined references to `cmSearchPath::AddCMakePath(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)' follow
libCMakeLib.a(cmFindPackageCommand.cxx.o): In function `cmFindPackageCommand::FillPrefixesCMakeEnvironment()':
cmFindPackageCommand.cxx:(.text+0x3b82): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::AddEnvPath(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)'
cmFindPackageCommand.cxx:(.text+0x3bac): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::AddEnvPath(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)'
cmFindPackageCommand.cxx:(.text+0x3be9): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::AddEnvPath(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)'
cmFindPackageCommand.cxx:(.text+0x3c26): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::AddEnvPath(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)'
libCMakeLib.a(cmFindPackageCommand.cxx.o): In function `cmFindPackageCommand::FillPrefixesSystemEnvironment()':
cmFindPackageCommand.cxx:(.text+0x3d89): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::AddPath(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)'
cmFindPackageCommand.cxx:(.text+0x3dc6): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::AddPath(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)'
libCMakeLib.a(cmFindPackageCommand.cxx.o): In function `cmFindPackageCommand::AppendSearchPathGroups()':
cmFindPackageCommand.cxx:(.text+0x6456): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::cmSearchPath(cmFindCommon*)'
cmFindPackageCommand.cxx:(.text+0x656c): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::~cmSearchPath()'
cmFindPackageCommand.cxx:(.text+0x6587): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::~cmSearchPath()'
cmFindPackageCommand.cxx:(.text+0x6592): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::cmSearchPath(cmFindCommon*)'
cmFindPackageCommand.cxx:(.text+0x669a): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::~cmSearchPath()'
cmFindPackageCommand.cxx:(.text+0x66b5): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::~cmSearchPath()'
cmFindPackageCommand.cxx:(.text+0x66c0): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::cmSearchPath(cmFindCommon*)'
cmFindPackageCommand.cxx:(.text+0x67c6): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::~cmSearchPath()'
cmFindPackageCommand.cxx:(.text+0x67dd): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::~cmSearchPath()'
cmFindPackageCommand.cxx:(.text+0x684f): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::~cmSearchPath()'
libCMakeLib.a(cmFindPackageCommand.cxx.o): In function `std::pair<cmFindPackageCommand::PathLabel, cmSearchPath>::~pair()':
cmFindPackageCommand.cxx:(.text._ZNSt4pairIN20cmFindPackageCommand9PathLabelE12cmSearchPathED2Ev[_ZNSt4pairIN20cmFindPackageCommand9PathLabelE12cmSearchPathED5Ev]+0xd): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::~cmSearchPath()'
libCMakeLib.a(cmFindPackageCommand.cxx.o): In function `std::_Rb_tree_iterator<std::pair<cmFindCommon::PathLabel const, cmSearchPath> > std::_Rb_tree<cmFindCommon::PathLabel, std::pair<cmFindCommon::PathLabel const, cmSearchPath>, std::_Select1st<std::pair<cmFindCommon::PathLabel const, cmSearchPath> >, std::less<cmFindCommon::PathLabel>, std::allocator<std::pair<cmFindCommon::PathLabel const, cmSearchPath> > >::_M_emplace_hint_unique<std::piecewise_construct_t const&, std::tuple<cmFindCommon::PathLabel const&>, std::tuple<> >(std::_Rb_tree_const_iterator<std::pair<cmFindCommon::PathLabel const, cmSearchPath> >, std::piecewise_construct_t const&, std::tuple<cmFindCommon::PathLabel const&>&&, std::tuple<>&&)':
cmFindPackageCommand.cxx:(.text._ZNSt8_Rb_treeIN12cmFindCommon9PathLabelESt4pairIKS1_12cmSearchPathESt10_Select1stIS5_ESt4lessIS1_ESaIS5_EE22_M_emplace_hint_uniqueIJRKSt21piecewise_construct_tSt5tupleIJRS3_EESG_IJEEEEESt17_Rb_tree_iteratorIS5_ESt23_Rb_tree_const_iteratorIS5_EDpOT_[_ZNSt8_Rb_treeIN12cmFindCommon9PathLabelESt4pairIKS1_12cmSearchPathESt10_Select1stIS5_ESt4lessIS1_ESaIS5_EE22_M_emplace_hint_uniqueIJRKSt21piecewise_construct_tSt5tupleIJRS3_EESG_IJEEEEESt17_Rb_tree_iteratorIS5_ESt23_Rb_tree_const_iteratorIS5_EDpOT_]+0x5b): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::cmSearchPath(cmFindCommon*)'
cmFindPackageCommand.cxx:(.text._ZNSt8_Rb_treeIN12cmFindCommon9PathLabelESt4pairIKS1_12cmSearchPathESt10_Select1stIS5_ESt4lessIS1_ESaIS5_EE22_M_emplace_hint_uniqueIJRKSt21piecewise_construct_tSt5tupleIJRS3_EESG_IJEEEEESt17_Rb_tree_iteratorIS5_ESt23_Rb_tree_const_iteratorIS5_EDpOT_[_ZNSt8_Rb_treeIN12cmFindCommon9PathLabelESt4pairIKS1_12cmSearchPathESt10_Select1stIS5_ESt4lessIS1_ESaIS5_EE22_M_emplace_hint_uniqueIJRKSt21piecewise_construct_tSt5tupleIJRS3_EESG_IJEEEEESt17_Rb_tree_iteratorIS5_ESt23_Rb_tree_const_iteratorIS5_EDpOT_]+0xd6): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::~cmSearchPath()'
cmFindPackageCommand.cxx:(.text._ZNSt8_Rb_treeIN12cmFindCommon9PathLabelESt4pairIKS1_12cmSearchPathESt10_Select1stIS5_ESt4lessIS1_ESaIS5_EE22_M_emplace_hint_uniqueIJRKSt21piecewise_construct_tSt5tupleIJRS3_EESG_IJEEEEESt17_Rb_tree_iteratorIS5_ESt23_Rb_tree_const_iteratorIS5_EDpOT_[_ZNSt8_Rb_treeIN12cmFindCommon9PathLabelESt4pairIKS1_12cmSearchPathESt10_Select1stIS5_ESt4lessIS1_ESaIS5_EE22_M_emplace_hint_uniqueIJRKSt21piecewise_construct_tSt5tupleIJRS3_EESG_IJEEEEESt17_Rb_tree_iteratorIS5_ESt23_Rb_tree_const_iteratorIS5_EDpOT_]+0x110): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::~cmSearchPath()'
libCMakeLib.a(cmFindBase.cxx.o): In function `cmFindBase::FillCMakeEnvironmentPath()':
cmFindBase.cxx:(.text+0xa71): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::AddEnvPrefixPath(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, bool)'
cmFindBase.cxx:(.text+0xa8f): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::AddEnvPath(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)'
cmFindBase.cxx:(.text+0xad3): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::AddEnvPath(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)'
cmFindBase.cxx:(.text+0xaf6): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::AddSuffixes(std::vector<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, std::allocator<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > > > const&)'
cmFindBase.cxx:(.text+0xb4b): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::AddEnvPath(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)'
libCMakeLib.a(cmFindBase.cxx.o): In function `cmFindBase::FillUserGuessPath()':
cmFindBase.cxx:(.text+0xc8b): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::AddUserPath(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)'
cmFindBase.cxx:(.text+0xca0): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::AddSuffixes(std::vector<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, std::allocator<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > > > const&)'
libCMakeLib.a(cmFindBase.cxx.o): In function `cmFindBase::FillUserHintsPath()':
cmFindBase.cxx:(.text+0xd7b): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::AddUserPath(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)'
cmFindBase.cxx:(.text+0xd90): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::AddSuffixes(std::vector<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, std::allocator<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > > > const&)'
libCMakeLib.a(cmFindBase.cxx.o): In function `cmFindBase::FillPackageRootPath()':
cmFindBase.cxx:(.text+0xe7d): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::AddPrefixPaths(std::vector<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, std::allocator<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > > > const&, char const*)'
cmFindBase.cxx:(.text+0xea9): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::AddPrefixPaths(std::vector<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, std::allocator<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > > > const&, char const*)'
cmFindBase.cxx:(.text+0xed1): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::AddSuffixes(std::vector<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, std::allocator<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > > > const&)'
libCMakeLib.a(cmFindBase.cxx.o): In function `cmFindBase::FillSystemEnvironmentPath()':
cmFindBase.cxx:(.text+0xfc7): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::AddEnvPath(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)'
cmFindBase.cxx:(.text+0xfea): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::AddSuffixes(std::vector<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, std::allocator<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > > > const&)'
cmFindBase.cxx:(.text+0x1023): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::AddEnvPath(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)'
libCMakeLib.a(cmFindBase.cxx.o): In function `cmFindBase::FillCMakeSystemVariablePath()':
cmFindBase.cxx:(.text+0x117f): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::AddCMakePrefixPath(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)'
cmFindBase.cxx:(.text+0x119d): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::AddCMakePath(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)'
cmFindBase.cxx:(.text+0x11e1): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::AddCMakePath(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)'
cmFindBase.cxx:(.text+0x1204): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::AddSuffixes(std::vector<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, std::allocator<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > > > const&)'
cmFindBase.cxx:(.text+0x125b): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::AddCMakePath(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)'
libCMakeLib.a(cmFindBase.cxx.o): In function `cmFindBase::FillCMakeVariablePath()':
cmFindBase.cxx:(.text+0x140f): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::AddCMakePrefixPath(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)'
cmFindBase.cxx:(.text+0x142d): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::AddCMakePath(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)'
cmFindBase.cxx:(.text+0x1471): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::AddCMakePath(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)'
cmFindBase.cxx:(.text+0x1494): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::AddSuffixes(std::vector<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, std::allocator<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > > > const&)'
cmFindBase.cxx:(.text+0x14eb): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::AddCMakePath(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)'
libCMakeLib.a(cmFindCommon.cxx.o): In function `cmFindCommon::InitializeSearchPathGroups()':
cmFindCommon.cxx:(.text+0x19d3): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::cmSearchPath(cmFindCommon*)'
cmFindCommon.cxx:(.text+0x1ae3): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::~cmSearchPath()'
cmFindCommon.cxx:(.text+0x1afe): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::~cmSearchPath()'
cmFindCommon.cxx:(.text+0x1b09): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::cmSearchPath(cmFindCommon*)'
cmFindCommon.cxx:(.text+0x1c11): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::~cmSearchPath()'
cmFindCommon.cxx:(.text+0x1c2c): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::~cmSearchPath()'
cmFindCommon.cxx:(.text+0x1c37): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::cmSearchPath(cmFindCommon*)'
cmFindCommon.cxx:(.text+0x1d41): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::~cmSearchPath()'
cmFindCommon.cxx:(.text+0x1d5c): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::~cmSearchPath()'
cmFindCommon.cxx:(.text+0x1d67): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::cmSearchPath(cmFindCommon*)'
cmFindCommon.cxx:(.text+0x1e71): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::~cmSearchPath()'
cmFindCommon.cxx:(.text+0x1e8c): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::~cmSearchPath()'
cmFindCommon.cxx:(.text+0x1e97): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::cmSearchPath(cmFindCommon*)'
cmFindCommon.cxx:(.text+0x1fa1): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::~cmSearchPath()'
cmFindCommon.cxx:(.text+0x1fbc): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::~cmSearchPath()'
cmFindCommon.cxx:(.text+0x1fc7): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::cmSearchPath(cmFindCommon*)'
cmFindCommon.cxx:(.text+0x20d1): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::~cmSearchPath()'
cmFindCommon.cxx:(.text+0x20ec): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::~cmSearchPath()'
cmFindCommon.cxx:(.text+0x20f7): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::cmSearchPath(cmFindCommon*)'
cmFindCommon.cxx:(.text+0x21f6): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::~cmSearchPath()'
cmFindCommon.cxx:(.text+0x220d): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::~cmSearchPath()'
cmFindCommon.cxx:(.text+0x23ed): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::~cmSearchPath()'
libCMakeLib.a(cmFindCommon.cxx.o): In function `cmFindCommon::ComputeFinalPaths()':
cmFindCommon.cxx:(.text+0x2d2d): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::ExtractWithout(std::set<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, std::less<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > >, std::allocator<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > > > const&, std::vector<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, std::allocator<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > > >&, bool) const'
cmFindCommon.cxx:(.text+0x2dd9): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::cmSearchPath(cmFindCommon*)'
cmFindCommon.cxx:(.text+0x2e33): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::~cmSearchPath()'
cmFindCommon.cxx:(.text+0x2e9e): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::~cmSearchPath()'
libCMakeLib.a(cmFindCommon.cxx.o): In function `std::pair<cmFindCommon::PathLabel, cmSearchPath>::~pair()':
cmFindCommon.cxx:(.text._ZNSt4pairIN12cmFindCommon9PathLabelE12cmSearchPathED2Ev[_ZNSt4pairIN12cmFindCommon9PathLabelE12cmSearchPathED5Ev]+0xd): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::~cmSearchPath()'
libCMakeLib.a(cmFindCommon.cxx.o): In function `std::_Rb_tree<cmFindCommon::PathLabel, std::pair<cmFindCommon::PathLabel const, cmSearchPath>, std::_Select1st<std::pair<cmFindCommon::PathLabel const, cmSearchPath> >, std::less<cmFindCommon::PathLabel>, std::allocator<std::pair<cmFindCommon::PathLabel const, cmSearchPath> > >::_M_erase(std::_Rb_tree_node<std::pair<cmFindCommon::PathLabel const, cmSearchPath> >*)':
cmFindCommon.cxx:(.text._ZNSt8_Rb_treeIN12cmFindCommon9PathLabelESt4pairIKS1_12cmSearchPathESt10_Select1stIS5_ESt4lessIS1_ESaIS5_EE8_M_eraseEPSt13_Rb_tree_nodeIS5_E[_ZNSt8_Rb_treeIN12cmFindCommon9PathLabelESt4pairIKS1_12cmSearchPathESt10_Select1stIS5_ESt4lessIS1_ESaIS5_EE8_M_eraseEPSt13_Rb_tree_nodeIS5_E]+0x25): undefined reference to `cmSearchPath::~cmSearchPath()'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
Source/CMakeFiles/cmake.dir/build.make:114: recipe for target 'bin/cmake' failed
make[6]: *** [bin/cmake] Error 1
make[6]: Leaving directory '/home/compiler/openwrt/build_dir/host/cmake-3.13.2'
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:2224: recipe for target 'Source/CMakeFiles/cmake.dir/all' failed
make[5]: *** [Source/CMakeFiles/cmake.dir/all] Error 2
make[5]: Leaving directory '/home/compiler/openwrt/build_dir/host/cmake-3.13.2'
Makefile:162: recipe for target 'all' failed
make[4]: *** [all] Error 2
make[4]: Leaving directory '/home/compiler/openwrt/build_dir/host/cmake-3.13.2'
Makefile:35: recipe for target '/home/compiler/openwrt/build_dir/host/cmake-3.13.2/.built' failed
make[3]: *** [/home/compiler/openwrt/build_dir/host/cmake-3.13.2/.built] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/compiler/openwrt/tools/cmake'
time: tools/cmake/compile#8.78#0.90#10.28
tools/Makefile:157: recipe for target 'tools/cmake/compile' failed
make[2]: *** [tools/cmake/compile] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/compiler/openwrt'
tools/Makefile:155: recipe for target '/home/compiler/openwrt/staging_dir/target-mips_24kc_musl/stamp/.tools_compile_yynyynnyyynyyyyynyynnyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyynyynynyyyynnyyy' failed
make[1]: *** [/home/compiler/openwrt/staging_dir/target-mips_24kc_musl/stamp/.tools_compile_yynyynnyyynyyyyynyynnyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyynyynynyyyynnyyy] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/compiler/openwrt'
/home/compiler/openwrt/include/toplevel.mk:216: recipe for target 'world' failed
make: *** [world] Error 2
compiler@debian:~/openwrt$

Did you select your device in menuconfig, or are you trying to build everything for everything?

Hi Jeff,
Only selecting My Config.. - will post screenshots showing what I am doing per selection from the default.

Thank you ever so much.
W

Screenshots:-

This is what I have selected - even following a "make clean"

Regards

Have you done a plain, ordinary build, without any added sources?

Never heard of FLUP in all the builds I've done.

I followed the guide o the developers section of the OpenWrt pages.
basically a vanilla build of Debian 9.9.9 64-bit

WARNING: Makefile 'package/feeds/packages/seafile-seahub/Makefile' has dependancy on 'flup', which does not exist

That kind of error is a feed-maintainer issue, and won't matter unless you're building the flup package.

I'm kicking this off, and am not concerned by the problems around pulseaudio, since I know I'm not building it or anything that depends on it

jeff@deb-devel:~/devel/openwrt$ git log --pretty=oneline -1
3f68cffd27 (HEAD -> master, openwrt/master, openwrt/HEAD) ramips: add support for TOTOLINK A7000R
jeff@deb-devel:~/devel/openwrt$ ./scripts/diffconfig.sh 
tmp/.config-package.in:102870:error: recursive dependency detected!
For a resolution refer to Documentation/kbuild/kconfig-language.txt
subsection "Kconfig recursive dependency limitations"
tmp/.config-package.in:102870:	symbol PACKAGE_baresip-mod-pulse depends on PACKAGE_baresip-mod-pulse
tmp/.config-package.in:121610:error: recursive dependency detected!
tmp/.config-package.in:121610:	symbol PACKAGE_pulseaudio-profiles depends on PACKAGE_pulseaudio-profiles
tmp/.config-package.in:121625:error: recursive dependency detected!
tmp/.config-package.in:121625:	symbol PACKAGE_pulseaudio-tools depends on PACKAGE_pulseaudio-tools
tmp/.config-package.in:102870:error: recursive dependency detected!
tmp/.config-package.in:102870:	symbol PACKAGE_baresip-mod-pulse depends on PACKAGE_baresip-mod-pulse
tmp/.config-package.in:121610:error: recursive dependency detected!
tmp/.config-package.in:121610:	symbol PACKAGE_pulseaudio-profiles depends on PACKAGE_pulseaudio-profiles
tmp/.config-package.in:121625:error: recursive dependency detected!
tmp/.config-package.in:121625:	symbol PACKAGE_pulseaudio-tools depends on PACKAGE_pulseaudio-tools
CONFIG_TARGET_ar71xx=y
CONFIG_TARGET_ar71xx_generic=y
CONFIG_TARGET_ar71xx_generic_DEVICE_mr16=y
jeff@deb-devel:~/devel/openwrt$ make -j12 clean download world

Same with

WARNING: Makefile 'package/feeds/packages/seafile-seahub/Makefile' has a dependency on 'flup', which does not exist
 make[1] clean
WARNING: Makefile 'package/feeds/packages/seafile-seahub/Makefile' has a dependency on 'flup', which does not exist
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/jeff/devel/openwrt/scripts/config'
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/jeff/devel/openwrt/scripts/config'

Edit: Filed https://github.com/openwrt/packages/issues/9326