Users needed to test Wi-Fi stability on Linksys WRT3200ACM & WRT32X on OpenWrt 21.02

Yeah. Same as my logs. No clues as to what is happening. I'm thinking there is an interoperability problem between the older driver and the newer mac stuff in the Linux kernel. I tried to turn on as much debug as possible. I also found that some messaging has been removed from some of the software stack to reduce file size at which point I kind of threw up my hands and bought a new router (RT-AX88U).

Well, I've been considering moving to ax for a while, but my WRT1900ACS works fine for my current needs, so I'll try to stick to 19.7.8 for the moment...

plus the RT-AX88U is closed-source Broadcom so has no OpenWRT support,,,,which means you have to trust Asusto do regular upgrades and generally manage security

This is exactly my problem, same thing happening in the logs and seems to mainly affect Apple devices.

Wait - @petersmith this is happening to you with a WRT1900ACS?

I ask, because the WRT1900ACS uses a different firmware than the WRT3200ACM and WRT32X, which is what @arinc9 originally opened this thread for.

If you can reproduce it on a WRT1900ACS, then that seems to indicate either it's an issue with all of the older firmware, or perhaps it's a bug with hostapd/wpad/etc?

Yes, I have a WRT1900ACS and facing the same issues y’all are describing with the 3200. Almost a day now on the 19.7.8 and no issues so far.

2 Likes

Exactly. Will wait until enough ax routers are supported on OpenWRT and that they are long enough on the market to ensure proper testing (I’ve given up on early adoption long ago!)

Same. In the meantime I'd like to point out running my WRT32X on a Master snapshot and wifi is dramatically better, no drop outs at all. 21.02-rc is not reliable for wifi right now.

Good to know: looking forward to a future stable 21! In the mean time I'll keep the 19 or else the Mrs will have me sleep on the couch if I continue the failed experiments :grimacing:

FWIW running the 19.7.8 for over 24h now. No issues of AP disappearing nor disconnect on Apple devices. Also realized that the latency is much better too.

AX88U source

Re. 88W8864 device see post

Ahhh, that might make sense re: 1900ACS issues - I see that Divested disables this by default: https://divested.dev/unofficial-openwrt-builds/mvebu-linksys/patches/0006-mwlwifi-Disable-tx_amsdu.patch

Yea saw that too but that's apparently not a fix on the WRT32X / WRT3200ACM. The only thing I've personally have fix it is just switching to a Master snapshot which I did last week and it's been perfectly stable with no issues. It's the best OpenWrt has ever been for me (flawless with everything I use honestly) so I'm tempted to just stay here a while, or at least until the recent gcc 10 switch gets more testing.

I’m using a WRT32X on master and still have exactly the same issues with WiFi drop outs. It’s not any better from my experience.

Think I’m going to go back to 19.07

One test I completed was switching from 5.10 and 5.4 kernel in master and both had the problem.

Yeah this kind of boggles my mind, as I’m effectively running snapshot on my 3200acm, only with divested’s hardening/optimization patches, and I’m still seeing WiFi dropouts on my iPhone.

Seems like @Nick01 is in the same boat.

So how is it that one person running master is fine and two others running master is not fine?

@phinn I’m pretty sure in the 21 rc threads the same comments were made. That it was working great for you, no problem etc etc?

It’s definitely not any better in master and my iPhone 12 seems to be worse.

Have two iPhones on it, latest iOS update, on 21.02-rc4 it would just stop responding randomly. I'd have to disconnect/reconnect to get it to respond. My ThinkPad Carbon had no issues, but the iPhones did frequently. Master branch has completely resolved that, as did this test fw @arinc9 put out too, but I couldn't install kmod usb3 or exfat with that without errors, so I switched to Master. Right now on a 4 day uptime with master and everything has been perfect (Using Wifi 5GHz, SQM, USB 3.0, Samba4, exFAT 2TB share, Adblock, DSA all 4 ports used, port forwards, etc.). Best my WRT32X has never been tbh. Going to just leave it here a while until the gcc 10 switch gets more testing or something else major changes.

@phinn good info. I’ll pull an update of master tonight and test it for a couple of days and report back here.

Cool, for reference running a 8/16 snapshot, not that it matters since they change every day or two. Main changes since is the switch to gcc 10 and a minor kernel update which is significant in just a few days, but I'm going to stick to this build for a while for reasons above.

I just built from master yesterday (with divested patches) and experienced dropouts twice (phone says connected, but can’t even hit 192.168.1.1, need to toggle WiFi on phone to reconnect) this morning on my 3200acm.

I might try a raw build with no divested patches (although they look pretty safe…) to see if it fixes things. Might try snapshots as well on the off the cuff reason that they magically fix things.