USB Drive support in 21.02

I just upgraded from 19.07 to 21.02 and can no longer use my USB drive as an SMB network share hosted by my router. It seems that the kmod-usb-lib-composite package is missing from the 21.02 repository and it is a dependency for the kmod-usb-gadget-mass-storage, which I presume would enable use of USB storage devices that could be mounted and shared using the samba server

Works perfect for me. I use a USB 3.0 drive formatted with exFAT on my WRT32X. Getting 120 MB/s read-write with Samba4 over my network (it maxes out gigabit LAN). I'm back on the Master snapshot now because wifi is more stable on my router, but both work great for USB.

Here is my full added package list in case it helps, there may be some extras in there just what I've been using so not sure:

opkg update && opkg install irqbalance luci-app-advanced-reboot luci-app-sqm luci-app-adblock luci-app-upnp luci-app-samba4 kmod-usb-storage kmod-usb-storage-uas kmod-usb-ohci kmod-usb-ohci-pci kmod-ata-ahci kmod-usb-uhci kmod-usb3 block-mount usbutils mount-utils luci-app-hd-idle kmod-fs-exfat iperf3 nano

1 Like

hmmm-- I could install kmod-usb-storage from the command line though it didn't appear at all in the Luci web interface. I've got it mounted now-- but don't I'm using the ksmbd for older versions since samba4 wouldn't install due to dependencies missing-- I'll need to get smbpasswd reinstalled to get this all working... some of the package dependencies appear to be missing from some of these items (samba4 is one of them)

Not sure then, when I install those packages it adds all their dependences. That's the package list I've been using for around 6 months now and it's been perfect each new snapshot. Of course your device may have some other requirements I'm not aware of.

I think the package list was not complete due to the upgrade process. I did an rm /tmp/opkg-list/* and then a re-update of the package list and now I can see all the packages and all dependencies are satisfied. I'm not using samba4 though; don't have the flash space... the ksmbd route works just fine though.

If your problem is solved, please consider marking this topic as [Solved]. See How to mark a topic as [Solved] for a short how-to.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.