Upgrade from Barrier Breaker 14.07 to latest 21.02 (WD My Net N750)

I have experienced similar issues with MyNet n750 upgraded to 21.02.2. I started out by using the sysupgrade firmware to go from 19.07.1 to 21.02.2. It initially appeared to work properly but after changing some settings and rebooting a few times I was no longer able to web into it. I reset and flashed the router multiple times and invariably the web interface would stop working while trying to configure it, either it was unresponsive or it prompted with "Bad Gateway". My last attempt was to boot into "Emergency Room" and use the factory firmware, then sysupgrade. Thinking it might be related to the new LuCI interface and based on the release note for 19.07.9, I installed luci-compat and it appears that uhttpd-mod-ubus in included in the image. But that resulted in the same issues with the web interface.

I flashed it to back to 19.07 (19.07.9) using the Emergency Room and had no issues configuring the device.

2 Likes

I can report the same exact experience with my WD N750 on 21.02. I downgraded back to 19.07 and the issues have resolved.

2 Likes

Has anyone tried 21.02.3?

1 Like

I upgraded from 19.07.9 to 22.03.0 RC1 last night on my N750, kept settings.

It has been 24 hours, so far no signs of the SquashFS errors in the kernel log. I will keep monitoring, as previously the errors didn’t appear until a few days running on 21.02.01.

So far, so good.

1 Like

Did settings for 22.03.0-rc1 survive when rebooting the N750 ?

Yes, survived all reboots.

1 Like

Hmm, I maybe spoke too soon. Woke up this morning to no Internet, router is in a boot loop. The router was scheduled via cron to reboot last night, perhaps that reboot caused the issue. The router survived multiple soft reboot earlier in the week, unsure why this might be different.

Could unitialised clock be the reason for boot cycle? Periodic reboot.

This linked issue is related to a cron setting.

  • The poster noted that the device was working and soft booted multiple times before issues
    • All others noted something similar
  • In any case, it worked in version 19
  • In my case, I'm sure I don't have a bad cron config

I'm testing the latest OpenWRT Snapshot (r20029-3c06a344e9), running the 5.15.50 kernel via testing mode on a WD N750, but observed the same SquashFS errors upon initial boot after flash.

Update: Possible improvement! After a reboot, no errors and there have been no errors for past 7 days. No issues on second reboot after 7 day uptime either. In the past on OpenWRT 21 and 22 I would see a few SquashFS errors immediately upon reboot.

I built the current firmware image from source using the July 7th snapshot, selected testing kernel and running 5.15.50. I'll keep monitoring and will report back.

1 Like
  • I have one running 22.03.0-rc5 (no extra packages installed), no issues
  • I have an issue with another one. It continued to have issue saving configs, pre-installing more packages, etc. into the image with the firmware selector. I believe I revered to v19 and then accidentally sysupgraded remotely to 22.03.0-rc4 (with needed packages). So, I will update on this one later

After a month of testing I’m sad to report the SquashFS errors continue with my WD N750, even when running the 5.15 kernel.

I was running a custom images of 22.03.0 for about a month. Yesterday, I noticed I was getting ash I/O error typing commands and I/O errors attempting to scp to device A. In order to reboot device A, I had to execute 'busybox -reboot'

I had snmpd and Wireguard LuCI packages installed.
I've now flashed an image (without LuCI) to see if that helps

On a second device, I wanted to flash another 22 image with 'tcpdump' included. It merely reboots without flashing. Same extra packages as device A. I will have to go on-site to troubleshoot device B and install the non-LuCI image with snmpd, tcpdump and Wireguard-tools installed.

On a third upgraded from 21, it is 22 from the downloads site with only network and wifi configs (dumb AP). Still no issues with device C.

Device D was recently upgraded from 19 to 22 with relayd in the custom image (and LuCI included). No issues thus far.

FYI - I only recall seeing the errors if I installed software of edited a file. I see no errors in the log of device B.

Device B:

root@OpenWrt:~# dmesg | grep CRC
[   13.184693] jffs2: notice: (542) jffs2_get_inode_nodes: Node header CRC failed at 0x00b51c. {677a,ffff,00000044,a4ef223e}
[   13.222067] jffs2: notice: (428) jffs2_get_inode_nodes: Node header CRC failed at 0x00d05c. {6579,ffff,00000044,a4ef223e}
[   41.936318] jffs2: Node CRC 2bdb746e != calculated CRC 2191a72f for node at 0000bf34