Trunk link with LuCI on WRT3200ACM

Really thank you @kramsac
Little recap to clear my mind:

• I have to flag "Primary VLAN ID" on untagged ports on a specific ID to have packets considered as members of that ID, otherwise the untagged packets will always be part of ID 1
  • If I set the same flag on a tagged port on a specific ID, the port will also act as untagged, allowing to connect "dumb" clients (anyway this is not a recommended setup)

Am I right?

-I have to flag "Primary VLAN ID" on untagged ports on a specific ID to have packets considered as members of that ID, otherwise the untagged packets will always be part of ID 1.

A port should only ever be untagged in one VLAN. For example, port 1 is untagged in VLAN 10, and therefore disabled in other VLANs. Because of this, the router knows that the data coming in from port 1 belongs to VLAN 10. You can obviously set the PVID of port 1 to 10, but some switches will do this automatically (like Cisco), because if that port is only untagged in one VLAN, why would the PVID be anything other than the VLAN ID? For the sake of completeness, I would manually set the PVID for each untagged port just to make sure it is done correctly.

-If I set the same flag on a tagged port on a specific ID, the port will also act as untagged, allowing to connect "dumb" clients (anyway this is not a recommended setup).

This shouldn't work, because connecting a dumb client to a tagged port means that the client will receive tagged data - dumb clients will not know what to do with this, so they will just drop everything.

Let me give you an example of how I would set up a simple VLAN:

SwitchExample

Here, we have three VLANs - 10,20,30.

Port 1 is part of VLAN 10, Port 2 is part of VLAN 20, Port 3 is part of VLAN 30.

As each port will be attached to a dumb device, they are obviously untagged. I set the appropriate PVID for each port (denoted by the asterix) just in case the switch doesn't do it itself. Port 4 is tagged in all VLANs, because in this setup, it is connected to another switch.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.