Tp-link wr840n v5 resets after reboot

hi guys, can you please guide me about how to fix this issue on my wr840n v5. every time i restart my router it resets itself. also i cant go back to my stock firmware. it gets bricked when i try to flash it.
Regards

The TL-WR840N v5 has too little flash to accomodate current OpenWrt, see Report Devices Here With 18.06.0 Provided Image too big to save overlay

Solution: Get a new device with sufficient flash + RAM.

See also:
https://openwrt.org/supported_devices/432_warning
https://openwrt.org/supported_devices/openwrt_on_432_devices

thanks but i actually can't buy a new router at the moment.

i am unable to edit the post.

If you don't mind the security risk, you could try to downgrade to 17.01.

hi, how do i do that?

i mean, how do i get the 17.01 firmware?

Unfortunately it is supported since 18.06.
You would save 64Kbytes by trying that version.
http://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/18.06.0/targets/ramips/mt76x8/openwrt-18.06.0-ramips-mt76x8-tl-wr840n-v5-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

i have already flashed 18.06. but it when the router reboots, it resets itself. the signals are also weaker compared to the stock and unfortunately i cant flash stock firmware anymore as the router gets bricked everytime i do it.

After it boots, how much space is left on the device?
mount; df -h

how do i see that?

By running the commands I posted.

root@OpenWrt:~# mount; df -h
/dev/root on /rom type squashfs (ro,relatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime)
tmpfs on /tmp/root type tmpfs (rw,noatime,mode=755)
overlayfs:/tmp/root on / type overlay (rw,noatime,lowerdir=/,upperdir=/tmp/root/upper,workdir=/tmp/root/work)
tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=512k,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,mode=600,ptmxmode=000)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,noatime)
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 2.3M 2.3M 0 100% /rom
tmpfs 29.5M 688.0K 28.8M 2% /tmp
tmpfs 29.5M 56.0K 29.4M 0% /tmp/root
overlayfs:/tmp/root 29.5M 56.0K 29.4M 0% /
tmpfs 512.0K 0 512.0K 0% /dev
root@OpenWrt:~#

Your overlay (all your changes) is mounted on temporary filesystem, hence it will be lost after reboot. As @tmomas already said, you need to buy a new one.

cant i fix that somehow?

Nope.
Just make sure you follow the instructions for stripping the header from the TP-Link firmware when you flash that.

can you please guide me on how to do it, step by step. if you dont mind. thanks

Of course!

1. Go to TP-Link official site and download the firmware file you want (any language is will do, but remember that some devices have different hardware depending on official location);

2. After downloaded the file, use the command: dd if="TL-WR840Nv4_example_official_firmware_file.bin" of="tp_recovery.bin" bs=512 skip=1

3. Now that you have the valid firmware file, place it in the TFTP server folder to flash it on the device.

but where do i put that command. i am a noob in this stuff

also, when you make your own image in ubuntu from windows app store. where does it get saved?