TP-Link TL-WR841N(D), WA701N(D), WR740N(D), WR741N(D), WR743N(D), WR940N, WR941N(D) - LADUS / JULIA / Ultra Lite / VPN builds

I flashed the UltraLiteV2 build back again, it's been running fine for the past hour... I will report back if anything comes up this time (Fingers Crossed)

@hmd61551:
Which router was it? did you make new builds apart from the ones in the original post up top?

Ultra Lite V2 has been running more than 1 day on my WR841N V8 and I must say this is the best performance I have seen from this device for a very long time.

Thanks hmd61551 for taking the time to build and share these router images with us. I really appreciate it. Sorry to hear that you bricked your router, which model was it?

1 Like

Well, It's been 20 hours since my router has been up and CPU spiked only once and that was when my internet was disconnecting a lot and when I went to check the router's page CPU was ~4.0, Instead of rebooting or checking the CPU usage this time after a minute I just let it be and after 15 minutes when my line got stable and internet started to work I decided to go check the router and hey back to <1.00 CPU usage I guess my CPU usage only spiked because I opened the router GUI when it was constantly trying to connect the PPPoE interface to get an IP.

All in all everything else seems to work nicely no issues there yet.

Do have a question though not related to this build but ima ask it here anyway. Since I have a PPPoE connection do I need to manually change my MTU size to 1492 anywhere in the router? If yes then which interfaces MTU size do I change?

Edit:
If I leave the routers status page open after the CPU spike happens and goes back to normal CPU will instantly rise back up to ~3.00 usage. if I leave the router for 20 minutes and then open the GUI interface again CPU usage will be 0.02 something initially but will quickly rise.

Edit 2:
Rebooted the router and CPU usage is back to normal doesn't rise even if I leave the status page open.

@greyfreak19 @rubab
It was 841nd v7 .

1 Like

I've installed lite version on wr841nd-v9. It works fine. But my ISP is using l2tp based billing. So I can't install required packages (ip, resolveip, kmod-l2tp, kmod-pppol2tp, ppp-mod-pppol2tp, xl2tpd) without opkg. I guess it possible to make by hand, but I don't know how. I was trying to compile binary image by myself, but got fail. I used ubuntu on the virtual machine. When image was compiling my macbook has restarted unexpectedly in reason of some error. I had the issue like this at a first time. May I ask some of you guys to compile bin image with required packages? Or 2nd way for me is soldering the ROM chip. I have one 16 MB flash chip. Are Winbond w25q128fv and tl-wr841nd-v9 compaitable? I'm sorry for my bad english, it's not my native language. Hope for your assistance

Have a look here:

I'd recommend reading this too:

Thanks again @hmd61551
ultralite v2 on 841 v8/9/11 work smoothly!**

1 Like

@hmd61551, thanks for bulids ! :slight_smile:

OpenVPN build is updated.

2 Likes

First of all, apologize for my bad English.

Total thanks to @hmd61551 for bulids, runs wonderfully, the router is TP-Link TL-WR740N v4

Sorry for my dare but it would not be possible to build ultralite v2 with sqm and adblock only or update the bulid of LADDUS

I appreciate the response, and thank this great community and their collaborators for the hard work that has involved in this build

@hmd61551

Hi, I think that this could be interesting add to your builds: How to read TP-Link factory wireless pin from flash - art

It set factory SSID and KEY, the ones from bottom-label.

thanks alot for these builds
i have WR940N V4 and am using ladus build and it is working great
am asking if there is a way to set daily download / upload quota as is gargoyle as i have limited data plan

thanks in advance

I know it might be too much to ask. But I'm wondering if it's possible to have fast path included into ultra lite firmware (4MB flash)?

1 Like

So, Update.

After getting my DSL line disconnections sorted out I flashed LEDE on my router again.
After 25hours of uptime PPPoE didn't disconnect so that is good.

CPU usage after 23hours initially was fine but after leaving the status page open in the background and going back to browsing coming back after 5 minutes showed CPU usage of 2.5 instead of rebooting or anything I just closed the tab and went on as usual after an hour came back to the CPU usage back down to 0.05-0.40 again this time the CPU usage spiked as long as I had the status page open. if I turn off AutoRefresh it, of course, doesn't spike.

Could it just be that this router is old? Maybe just an issue with LEDE? Or is it something in the build? This happened with the Ladus and Julia builds as well but it was worse UltraLiteV2 is by far the most stable out of all the builds above. I even tried VPN and upon flashing it just gave high CPU usage after a few minutes while setting it up I tried to flash back to UltraLiteV2 right away but it bricked my router. I then had to recover it via TFTPD.

SQM isn't working as intended but I haven't had the time to fine-tune it and my ISP isn't the best so I may have to lose a lot of speed to gain stable pings as I still get some mini-spikes

Update 2:
After a reboot leaving the Overview page doesn't make the CPU usage spike and I can browse the Luci interface without it slowing down and causing the CPU usage to spike.

Update 3: After rebooting since last time the router was up for a day and a half and same issue though when I opened the router it was >1.00 CPU usage already.

Update 4: After 2 days SQM started having issues if I enabled it ping were fine (some mini spikes still happened though) but I was getting constant packet loss. I've switched back to gargoyle as of now will take a look at it in a couple of days.

@hmd61551 Any update on this?

@hmd61551

Can you share config to build Ultra Lite for 741N ?.

Thanks.

LADDUS build is updated.
Big thanks to @Fil for testing the build for me as my router is still broken and it looks like I will not be able to fix it.
I'm saving up some money for new one but it is gong slow, so thank you guys for your patience.
If someone else is willing to test the updates too, feel free to contact me here or in the Telegram group (link can be found in first post).

1 Like

Hello @hmd61551 .

Installed LADDUS build yesterday on all my routers.
Everything is working OK.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Hi @hmd61551,
Maybe switching to WireGuard (instead of OpenVPN) is a way to go?
Do all builds support 4/32 devices?

Thanks. Keep up the good work.

Hi Guys, first of all thanks for the differnt builds.
I use them for quite some time on my TP-WR841N V9, but have lately some issues.

I updatet to 15.10.2017 LADDUS got sqm running and most the time it's all good.
But sometimes i (and only I) experience massive lags in games like rocket league.
I tried logging into Luci-Panel after i had these issues, and its all super slow and super laggy.

I've tried to change sqm settings, still happens sometime.

I thought about building a Ultraliet V2 like build by my own but failed on setting up the vm/vb.

So is there a change that the Builds above get updated on newest stable code?

Thank you for your time, have a nice day.

UltraLiteV2 ran better for me then any other build was much more stable as well and since I only needed sqm and UPnP it is perfect for me. Though after a while like ~24hours I also experience massive lag spikes and such and if I try to go into the LUCI GUI it freezes... and when I do open it up I see >1.00 CPU usage, I have to reboot the router at this point to fix it.

What I did to fix this was set the router to reboot at noon using crontab. First, i set up the router to sync with the correct time and timezone after that I put the script in the scheduled task list and then using ssh I enabled crontabs.

Here is the script that I got from the openwrt's page for crontabs.

00 12 * * * sleep 70 && touch /etc/banner && reboot

Thank you will try your workaround.