TL-WR841N v13 WiFi not stable?

It sounds a little wrong, but waiting for your results on the wifi driver :smiley:

Hello @LuzuGames.

I don't understood your comment.
Take a look on GitHub.

My build is done.
I will share when i get at home.
Juliano

1 Like

@nw2619 , @twinkleLED

New build uploaded now.
I'm testing for 12 hours, no crashes. Speed was also improved from latest version.

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=kZXz3T7Zhr7RvDQxnw8YGb6DOA9xdRwVwPbk

Juliano

openrt

I just flashed a few hours ago on my 840v4 tplink, stable at the moment with 3 devices, there are no disconnections and the speed for good wifi, the firmware of Julian has added as Adblock, SQM, UPnP.
It behaves very well, although I feel that the configuration by Luci Web is a little slow, I should deactivate some services that I do not use.
Otherwise I am not witnessing the wifi problems that were presented months before.
Thanks for compiling the Julianos firmware. I'm sorry for the English, I use the google translator.

Hello.

A driver update was released yesterday.
I updated the builds... Same link.

Juliano

Thanks for your build @julianocs! I'm glad you share it with us. I will test it. Would you be so kind and share with us how you made your build? I'd like to build myself without GUI and things, just bare openwrt, it saves a lot of flash space if it's not compiled for things that I need.

@bobhumplick yes, the firmware is legit and stable, actually the only I know which works fine. Slight donwside is, that it is KRACK vulnerable.

edit: Thank you for effort, @julianocs, I tested your fw and and there is still packet loss in the other room when I test with flood ping. I cannot compare with openwrt driver, because I have not used it long time. So I reverted back to that old firmware of that russian guy raxp, which is stable, no packet loss, about the same as original. Wish I could build new firmware with his binary driver.

Hello @nozombian.

mt76 wireless open-source driver wasnĀ“t developed by me.
@nbd168 (Felix Fietkau) is the man that developed the driver from scratch and is still working on that (iĀ“m grateful for this). He has been working hard to improve the driver. Whenever there is an update, I will share it.

Juliano

Hi @julianocs, don't get me wrong, I'm also grateful for any progress that is made on this device. I cannot imagine how hard can that be for the guy who is making new driver. I just tested it and shared my testing result. I can only blame mediatek for their licensing policy, nearly as bad as broadcom. Why oh whay they cannot release source for stable driver?

These routers were great for the price, I bought them maybe hundred over time, luckily I have supply for used V12 and below with atheros chip and also many wr1043nd which are even better, so whenever I need new openwrt device, I'm buyng used for half price of the new unit. I don't mind it, because they are immortal. Only downside of wr841n is 4MB flash, which is quite limiting, but still enough for my use (mainly ssh tunneling and wake on lan).

Hi @nozombian .

I didnĀ“t get you wrong, donĀ“t worry.
I understand your thoughts and agree. Mediatek is the responsable for what is happenning.
The capability of mt76 is amazing, but without a good driver, it sucks.

LetĀ“s wait for the next releases of Felix. He is doing a lot improvements in the driver last months.

Regards,
Juliano

1 Like

Hi, currently i have installed 18.06.1 (stable) on my TL-WR841N v13, can i upgrade using luci to your snapshot without any problems?

Hello @oot12.

Yes, you can upgrade to my firmware using Luci !

Regards,
Juliano

@julianocs, has your firmware been tested with a multi-SSID interface/WISP?

When I attempt to create two SSIDs, it doesn't broadcast any.

Thanks for your reply, I've set my router as repeater and Im testing now stability of this snapshot.

@gtsatsis

No, i didnĀ“t test this.

@oot12

The main developer of mt76 opensource driver ( @ndb168 ) made some more fixes in the driver since i built this firmware, but he didnĀ“t commit to Openwrt Master branch yet (i donĀ“t know why). When he does, i will compile a new version and share.

Juliano

1 Like

Ok, thank you, I will wait for next builds :grinning:

if you can get a 17 dollar router to perform better than a 60 dollar router then you wont sell many of those 60 dollar routers i supposed. they hate 3rd party firmwares even when they steal them and release them as their own. the thing i am wondering is if the russian guys firmware (the one that uses the binary blob that he ripped from another router) will work with cake and piece of cake sqm. if the mediatek drivers dont work with sqm and traffic shaping then its not much use to me. have you used it? does it work properly?

@julianocs

do you think the binary blob driver from meditek would work with sqm and cake and piece of cake? if not its not good for me. if the ONLY thing that worked was basic functions (wifi is a basic function to me) and sqm then i would be good with that. i dont need any fancy services.

also i appreciate your work on this. i have no idea about programming or much about linux. i used redhat 5 back in the 90's for a month just to try it out. took me a couple weeks to do the research just to get the firmware flashed. and yes the latest firmwares are much better than the first ones that i tried on this router about a year ago. but its still not stable. havent tried yours yet but i will. but if this russians guys binary blob drivers work and i can get traffic shaping working correctly that is all i need. he stripped the driver from an asus router. has me worried though because it was from an EU router and i have the v13 US (i presume US because the stripped factory firmware doesnt work for mine but it does on the EU, the US versions do not apparently from what i have heard).

thank you for your work

Hello @bobhumplick.

Yes, i know that the mt76 open source driver isn't still mature enough.
But the good news is that we can have faith, as the developer continues to work on it.
I will compile a firmware with closed source mediatek drivers from Nossiac ( https://github.com/Nossiac/mtk-openwrt-feeds ). If it works , I will share, so that people who are not satisfied to test the open source driver (not my case) can at least use their router.

Juliano

Hello @bobhumplick.

The build is done and uploaded to my pCloud account.
https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=kZXz3T7Zhr7RvDQxnw8YGb6DOA9xdRwVwPbk
Openwrt version: 18.06
Commit: e3022727658166e736198529582a46abf2397ea4
Kernel: 4.14.66

I didnĀ“t tested yet, i will only have time to do this tomorrow night.
Anyway, the chances to brick the router are minimal because i didnĀ“t touch in anything else, only changed the wireless drivers and included the necessary plugins. The max that could happen is the wireless driver not work. In this case, reverting the firmware will solve the problem.

I kept all the features of previously builds.

The configuration guide itĀ“s here:
https://github.com/Nossiac/mtk-openwrt-feeds/blob/master/about-mtk-wifi.md

Juliano

PS: Do not keep settings when upgrade

I'm willing to test the open source driver but i't would be nice to get that router working properly ASAP. So I will try the closed source thing. For the record, I'm building on stable 18.06, uci2dat, wificonf and mt7628 driver.

@julianocs: thank you for posting the link to mtk feed