TL-WR841N v13 WiFi not stable?

even with only one it can freeze. One is more stable but it's random... do not buy that thing !

look here Installing on TP-Link TL-WR841N V13

I'm refering to the original TP Link firmware for 841N. I did my own testing and the results are like 2X better than openwrt.

i'm on original firmware too. but there is trouble with openwrt so good chance it's just bad hardware

Using 18.06.1, custom build for wr841n v13. I find it's not usable. Cell phones see the SSID but are unable to connect until network is deleted and accesed again. Random disconnections... looking now for some rock-solid atheros-based devices, wr940n will probably fit the bill, as I usually build without luci nor opkg

This is a wonderful inexpensive and low power router, but....

I also have stability problems with this router using Openwrt 18.06.1. I have purchased a second v13 router to ensure it was not a hardware problem, but it has same problem.

I have the problem with BOTH wireless and with a wired connection. Sometimes established ssh connections will freeze and then continue. Often web browser sessions will fail to pull up pages. If you wait a few minutes then everything will work fine. Note all Wifi connections are short distance.

Hello @twinkleLED.

Felix Fetikau ( @nbd168 ) who developed mt76 driver from scratch, itĀ“s making a lot of improvements last month.
I have a router with the same chip, and recommend you to try the latest version.
I have a compiled image for your router (Openwrt buildbot itĀ“s not working since 31/10).
I can send to you, if you want.

Juliano

Hi
This router seems to have the same wifi chip as C20 v4.
It's known it has problems with multiple SSID which has been reported to mt76 development on GitHub. Could you make a test to find out about instability and report about it as well ?

Ffredy, do you have a link the the multiple SSID report please. I want to make sure I do not miss anything before doing a report and that it gets seen by the right people

@twinkleLED
That's it - https://github.com/openwrt/mt76/issues/158

Trying trunk now. There are quite some recent changes in this driver. Just tested that connection seems to work, disconnect and connect again seems to work reliably time after time with android and linux. Multi-SSID thing not tested. However, I had one "blank time", but it could be ISPs fault.

So I'll be testing in some more days...

1 Like

Where to download?

I have been trying the daily snapshot version from Nov 15. https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/ramips/mt76x8/openwrt-ramips-mt76x8-tl-wr841n-v13-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

This version still has wifi problems. After a while the connection drops and I can not longer connect to the AP.

@twinkleLED
OpenWRT build bot for MT76X8 itĀ“s not working since 16/11, so you are not testing the latest driver improvements.

I have a build compiled today for your router with the latest driver.
If you want, i can send to you.
It contains the following features:

luci-app-adblock
luci-app-ddns
luci-app-upnp
luci-mod-failsafe
luci-app-sqm
sqm-scripts-extra
wget
zram-swap
kmod-zram

Juliano

1 Like

@julianocs
Please share your build for test, thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

@nw2619 , @twinkleLED

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=kZXz3T7Zhr7RvDQxnw8YGb6DOA9xdRwVwPbk

do propietary drivers work with this router? i have a link where some russian person built a firmware (im sure its old by now) with the propietary drivers. i know you would have to stick with the same kernal but as long as cake and pice of cake qos work i dont care. a lot of other people wouldnt care. heres the link. but its a less than 4mb file size and this is a 8mb router. is this legit?

https://raxp.ru/index.php/2017/06/21/lede-for-wr841n-v13wr840n-v4-en/#comment-314

will it run piece of cake? i will flash it later when i can (its in service at the moment.... kind of). but if anybody knows anyway to get piece of cake qos going on this router with the wifi working (sorry i left that part out) i would love to hear it. i thought of using it as an ethernet only router with a wifi acces point but that would make the access point the bottleneck at that point and qos would mean nothing right?

i am not a programmer but i will help however i can.

note to anyone who is having connection problems i have had luck with this by setting the max range at 2000 meters. it works right now at over 70 meters and through 2 or 3 walls. but i am using as a repeater now bcasue the wifi would drop. the people using it are content to just unplug it and reset once a day. i used the latest version from the website i think

anybody trying to flash their version of this back to factory you have to have a stripped firmware and the EU stripped version wont work. if anybody has one for the US version i would love to have it. i can find you the EU version but i cant find US. i flashed using tftp to openwrt and now i caant go back

Last build from 26/11. Same problem after some time cannot connect to wifi. Exist clients still connected, but don't works anythings. After reboot router works, it not good.

@ndb168 released a new driver today.
It haves a lot of improvements. IĀ“m compiling now, will share when itĀ“s done.

Juliano

1 Like