Sysupgrade closing the SSH session

Hi, I am wondering if there is a way of running sysupgrade from CLI without losing the SSH session? Today I performed a sysupgrade on Linksys EA8500, bringing it up from 19.07.2. I used "-v -n" switches, and was hoping to see a verbose output of the progress. Instead, I got "Commencing upgrade. Closing all shell sessions." The router eventually rebooted, and I was able to see the new version of OpenWRT. But I can only hope everything went smoothly. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

not really ... at the end sysupgrade reboot in to the new release so will break ssh session.

1 Like

If you want to see output of the entire sysupgrade process (to the extent possible), use a serial connection. Since the ssh connection necessarily requires the entire network stack and the ssh server to be running, it will be interrupted. The serial output may have brief interruptions, but should give you the maximum amount of data on the output.

4 Likes

The problem is that it closed the connection as soon as I pressed Enter...

That is expected. Serial is the only way to go if you want to monitor the process.

1 Like

Thanks for confirming. I thought I was doing something wrong.

Nothing wrong, just wrong expectations.

If your problem is solved, please consider marking this topic as [Solved]. See How to mark a topic as [Solved] for a short how-to.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.