Support MA5671A SFP GPON

It's hard to say anything without debugging. Looks like your module has authenticated itself, but OLT has checked for additional parameters. It could be MAC address, software version, model number or something else. Maybe another user in your region managed to connect with this or other module and knows what is technically required.

Thank you ! , if you have some tips for the debugging i will do as much as i can .
I will try to set version and mac address also.
I have similar problem with an HG8010 that goes in the o5 state fix but still no pppoe

|ONT Registration Status:|Successfully registered the ONT with the OLT.|
|OLT Service Configuration Status:|OLT service configured successfully.|
|EMS Configuration Status: -
|ACS Registration Status:|-.|

I think my ISP need something else but is quite difficult to figure it out OLT side

Any help will be appreciated

Hi @seb1
In the Russian forum we received the following advice from our colleague Firezone on how to debug connection issues on these modules. I trust this will be helpful.

1 Like

i have the suspect that my serial is not correct
72 87 84 67 177 202 176 154
original
48575443B1CAB09A (HWTCB1CAB09A)

does it make sense ?

and the UCI value that the omcid take from the script are written on
omci.default.mib_file=/etc/mibs/ponstick.ini that seems pretty generic
and
vendor_id=uci get sys.mib.vendor_id || return 1 get this from there and is
ZM\0\0 seems this is not correct ...

but fw_printenv ont_serial
ont_serial=HWTCB1CAB09A seems ok

Ok i made some test
and i have an outfile to watch i sincerely have difficult :frowning:
Anyway i changed that value in uci but it revert to original at startup,
anyway in my random tests i found this ...
if i stop omcid and i reload it the O5 stand still for a while , i kill it after second start of the omcid.sh
the O5 stay , and from gtop i can disconnect and reconnect the fiber that goes in 1 state and back in
5 and stay fixed.
... very strange , isn't it
here the file if someone can have a look

many thanks

If I am not mistaken, for the firmware HL23446 the vendorID variable can be altered by editing the /etc/init.d/sys.sh file

# override uci variables
	oem-generic)
		uci set sys.target.name=oem-generic
		uci set sys.features.mib_customized=1
		uci set sys.features.igmp_fast_leave=1
		uci set sys.features.dying_gasp_enabled=0
		uci set sys.features.suppress_power_level=0
		uci set sys.features.eeprom_sync_option='1'
		uci set sys.mib.vendor_id='ZM\0\0'
		uci set sys.mib.ont_version='SFP-P05\0\0\0\0\0\0\0'
		uci set sys.mib.equipment_id='GPONSTICK\0\0\0\0\0\0\0'
1 Like

I think i love you ahah
Its work like a charm !
the sys.sh overwrite the values at startup so omcid run correctly that explain why the omcid.sh make drop the o5 stare and i see it going up and down, and also why if i stop it the state goes to o5 (probably read the value from fw )
now i start to make test because every device i have that also take o5 state didn't do the pppoe (and conf are ok) i suppose are the routes.
Thank a lot !

UPDATE: i notice big reduction of performance :frowning: .. 150mbit D 50mbit U instead of 750 D 90 U
what could cause this ?

Are you sure this is due to the SFP interface? Is the equipment behind it and the configuration OK?

Regards

thanks moriste, i have this a https://www.pcengines.ch/apu2e4.htm with opnsense i will try to
change distribution and test other solution. could be the apu2e4 to make bottleneck ?
i don't know if that could be a problem but will do some test.
Download speed with another GPON is similar but for ex the upload goes every time at 90mb
instead of 70 with the MA5671A .
Have you some hint in which conf can cause a reduction of speed of this kind . VLAN is at 0 Best offer
for ex.

Thanks

I have the same board (APU3) running with OPNSense too at the moment.

I am not yet using MA5671A SFP but last year I had this same setup with Ubiquiti ULoco full speed (my ISP does 100/100, 2 VLANs through DHCP).

I encourage you to try OpenWRT with your APU and compare results

Regards

Update: If you want, you can try these tweaks before:

1 Like

Ok i tested with a Ufiber Nano Loco and :
if i set the PPPOE in the opnsense the results are pretty the same, slow Down and 90 over 90 Up(with MA5671A is 70 over 90 )
but... if i set the PPPOE in the Ufiber the speed is perfect 750 90
so i will try to check to set PPPoe in the openwrt MA5671A and check the results
ah before i forget, there's a MC220L adapter between the opnsense and MA5671A

What do you think , i can absolve the APU 100% , there is something wrong in the pppoe parameter ins opnsense i suppose... i will openwrt on it

Thanks you a lot !

Update: in any case if i connect thru the original ISP HG8245Q (integrated SFP) is 800 D 90 U
unreachable from any other test i made.. :frowning:

Hi,
MC220L shouldn't cause any problem. Can you check if MC220L and APU establish a gigabit link?

In each test are you using the APU with OPNSense?

It seems there are documented some problems in OPNSense with PPPoE and igb driver your APU use. I don't know if your problem is related to this or not.

https://redmine.pfsense.org/issues/4821

Regards

XGS PON STICK

The STICK optical module can fully meet the requirements of the carrier-grade FTTB\ FTTH\ FTTO device. It can be hot-swapped into the SFP slot of the Layer 2 Ethernet switch. The whole machine can be used as an ONT or even an MDU, so that the whole device can be directly Connected to the GPON optical network, the central office OLT only needs to register the GPON STICK optical module as if it were a normal optical cat. The communication device can complete the access switch from the original P2P
http://hbmt.hisense.com/html/Products/Optical_Communication/index.html
http://hbmt.hisense.com/html/Products/STB/weitoudianshiyitiji/20190805_353.html

Dear morishe after some days of test i have some results
Devices used

HG8245Q
router mode: used like gateway in my LAN network 850D 90U
router mode on pfsense: WAN pfsense port (WAN port same subnet and used like GW ) 650D 90U
bridge mode: with PPPOE on pfsense 300D 90U

Ufiber Loco
router mode: used like gateway in my LAN network 650D 90U
router mode on pfsense: WAN pfsense port (WAN port same subnet and used like GW ) 700D 90U
bridge mode: with PPPOE on pfsense 300D 90U

MA5671A
router mode: Not tested
router mode on pfsense:
bridge mode: with PPPOE on pfsense 300 D a 70 U
speed tests was made with ookla and fast.com

Conlcusion:

Without going to much OT:

1. Can I kindly ask you an help to do the PPPoE directly on the M5671A
    to continue the tests like the other devices. I tried to do it but without success

2. there is a reason that bring the HG8245Q to performe better like this and this is due to
    hardware or something, related at some configuration that bring from the OLT ? (maybe optic calibration (sorry i have lack of knowledge about this topic)

3. With pfsense is better but not perfect i will follow you links to imrove more the PPPoE speed
    (in local network is perfect with iperf3 950mbit)
    I will try also openwrt soon.

PS
i used MacOS to do the test in lan, every time a used windows the result was in lan about 350 or 400 D
90D are those website reliable ?
there is the possibility that the results are false with some kind of cache or buffering

Thank you !

Good testing!

Sorry, but at the moment I still don't have full control of this device. I didn't finished to configure my MA5671A module due to lack of time. I don't know if this daemon installed or if it's technically possible.

Maybe you can wait here for a reply (from kindly @bmx29, @anon23891239 or others), ask for support on Mikrotik's thread (check first posts) or try to contact with Firezone from the Russian forum, but... it's possible that it's easier to try to install OpenWRT on a spare computer or your APU, only for doing some tests.

Sorry and keep us informed!

Regards

I have been following this thread, and it looks like this GPON module may be interesting to me.
I have a RB4011 connected to an ISP provided Huawei G8145V5.
I have managed to exploit it and get the admin account, so it's now running in bridge mode but it's still a bad device.
It will regularly drop a connection for 30-60 seconds.
This is not acceptable on an FTTH connection at all.
My ISP does not use the PLOAM password at all, and simply checks the serial for authentication, so I was thinking of getting one of these to use the Huawei only for VOIP, and IPTV is a simple VLAN so RB4011 can handle that.

But, where can I purchase one of these as I can't find them in Europe at all?

Hello,

I bought mine on eBay, Italy based. Two months ago.

It seems there isn't any available at the moment :frowning:

Regards

Thank you but I have one.

@robimarko is who is looking for one.

@xiaobo Its not convenient for me to buy from China, shipping times now are crazy.
Anybody know of a more available model that will work with Huawei OLT-s?

Just found this thread and since I've been through this years ago I might as well chime in...

@seb1 it seems you're experiencing sync issues since by default the modules are configured for the most part to be run @ 2.5Gbps rather than 1Gbps, but it could also be that your apu is underpowered? There isn't much option for 2.5Gbps sync but fortunately, I put a little effort into it and produced patches for the BCM57810S and BCM57711 network adapters and there is also the Ubiquiti ES-16-XG which fellow FTTH users are using successfully, but a lot of MC220L users have the same experience as you.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32230041-Internet-Bypassing-the-HH3K-up-to-2-5Gbps-using-a-BCM57810S-NIC

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32393899-Internet-Bypassing-the-HH3K-up-to-2-5Gbps-using-a-BCM57711-NIC

@morishe it looks like you followed ipsp bootloader unlock guide and went ahead and saved the environment, and unfortunately, it's missing a critical step in preserving the original environment. But you can recover your goi_config if you only saved the environment once since that time or you backed up your filesystem partitions since it resides in /etc/optic/.

If you only saved once you can enter the bootloader prompt and try to recover from the backup environment. There are two locations for the environment and alter per each save, which is why you can only recover if you saved once.

sf probe 0
sf read ${ram_addr} 40000 10000
env import -c ${ram_addr} 10000
env print

and/or

sf probe 0
sf read ${ram_addr} 80000 10000
env import -c ${ram_addr} 10000
env print

To recover your goi_config from /opt/optic just run the opposite commands of /etc/init.d/recover_goi.sh which can be found at /opt/lantiq/bin/goi_store_uboot.sh and there is also /etc/config/goi_config

EDIT: Also my BCM links have additional information such as how to enable the luci pages, minishell commands (if for some reason you're keeping it), etc.